E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bad u-joints or just need limited slip diff?

04-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
MountainStone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

Bad u-joints or just need limited slip diff?

My old corvette had an LSD and launched solidly until the u-joints in the IRS half-shafts started failing, when the rear end would give a noticeable side-to-side wiggle during launch/vigorous acceleration. New u-joints fixed that problem.

I've had my 335i for a year, with a JB4 installed for about three months. I've recently enabled the 'DTS always off' feature of the JB4 and now do most of my driving in DS mode. With DTS off the car allows more wheelspin. Driving in DS mode with a JB4 produces more wheelspin

I've noticed the rear end of my car will give a noticeable side-to-side wiggle during vigorous acceleration. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for this car, which has no LSD but uses the brakes to emulate LSD behavior or whether I need to have the rear halfshafts checked. I dunno if these cars have u-joints or flex discs or what.

Can anybody chime in with their knowledge/experience? Thanx!
      04-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
This is normal. The lsd will help but is also a symptom of the soft rear subframe and rear suspension bushings.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
MountainStone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
This is normal. The lsd will help but is also a symptom of the soft rear subframe and rear suspension bushings.
Thanks very much for the response. It is disappointing to hear this unsettling movement is considered 'normal' in a car with sporting intentions; it does not inspire confidence in the capabilities of this car.

Do the M cars exhibit the same behavior?

Thanx again!
      04-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Manxman
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStone View Post
Thanks very much for the response. It is disappointing to hear this unsettling movement is considered 'normal' in a car with sporting intentions; it does not inspire confidence in the capabilities of this car.

Do the M cars exhibit the same behavior?

Thanx again!
No, the M cars have much firmer subframe and suspension bushings and an LSD. You can retrofit the subframe bushings, although it's not cheap. You can also buy bushing inserts from Powerflex or Whiteline, which will firm up the subframe and which are easier to fit, though not as effective as the M3 bushings.
I agree that the 335 deserves better rear suspension location, but most buyers don't push the car hard enough to notice and would complain about the harder ride.
      04-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

I've noticed that side to side hop on my car's rear end lately too. Mine happens when going over rough surfaces or railroad crossings. I'm planning on getting my bushings checked out because it doesn't seem normal.
Appreciate 0