F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 3GT vs X3?
proTUNING Freaks

04-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
TheRealEssad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

3GT vs X3?

Hi all. Been reading through many of the posts on here, and seems like a trend is comparing the 3GT with the 3 series sedans. My question is does anyone know how it compares with the X3, in either performance or storage?

I need the added storage for my next car so it might come down between these two cars. Any insight you all have would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

We traded in a 2012 X3 3.5 for a 14 GT 335XI It has more room that the X3 ie bigger wheel base and longer - more leg room in back and in my opinion handles and rides better and for sure is a lot faster if you are interested. The only issue you might have is since it is hatchback you do not the as much vertical room to load We have had more comments from other BMW owners as to how sharp it is and one 7 series owner sat in the back and said same as his car GREAT OVERALL CAR
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
TheRealEssad
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the response. I had assumed as much that the performance would be a step up, but glad to hear it firsthand.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

My friend has one who went from a 535-->3GT and absolutely loves it. From her perspective it is roomier and nicer than her previous vehicle.

I REALLY wanted to get the 3GT because of the design and added room (rear + cargo area). THe deal breaker for me was that I was NOT allowed to get the Diesel version in NA/USA, even if I did it as a European Delivery where I understand that they are plentiful.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
netsurfr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
I lease a 2012 X5M and chose the 335 GT as my lease replacement. Size wise the rear seats/room on the GT provide lots more leg room than both the X3 & the X5, which was a total surprise to me coming from an X5, you do loose some vertical storage due to the hatchback vs. SUV but the length is actually longer on the GT rear storage than the X3 and X5 and a about 6" narrower than the X5 so a lot of room there unless you need to carry big/boxy items. Handling is no comparison. the lower center of gravity and less weight, makes the GT feel like a sports car compared to the SUV and that's coming from an X5M owner so if performance is important to you the GT will be much, much better than the X3, no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

I did Euro Delivery on mine March 25th. The boat left Germany on the 1st and docked today. I cant wait to get it. Drives great and looks amazing. I got the 335 with mpackage in Mineral gray with red interior
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
TheRealEssad
Private First Class
Rep

Netsurfr, thanks for the response. Very interesting to hear the GT has a longer storage area, and I can understand why the hatchback would reduce the height for cargo. Glad to hear you're happy with the performance. This is something that is important. I know it won't be the same as other smaller cars, but I need a family car that also responds well. I think I may have found what I'm looking for. (Now just need to test drive).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
netsurfr
Private
Rep

Garage List
I was totally surprised when I looked at the GT first time. Having owned a 3 series before I never in a million years expected a 3 series car to be doable for a family and I'm 6' tall & 225 lbs so not a small guy. When I measured and realized the rear seats were actually more roomy than the X5 (especially for my kid on a car seat) I was floored. Then I measured the width inside the rear seats and the GT is just 3" narrower than my X5 finally the trunk and measured that and was sold. For sure go test one out. My dealer let me borrow one for a weekend so I could do a real test drive w/ family and "stuff" to make sure it would work. Like I said I am coming from an X5M so comfort/size/performance were important. We have a 4 year old so storage for family & kid stuff was critical and although I have gotten used to M performance the 328xi GT put a big smile on my face when I test drove it but I opted for the 335 for even more performance. You sit lower to the ground than the X5/X3 and handling is much better than any SUV (even one w/ M) so you feel like you have a sports car that can comfortably carry adults in the back seat, gives you SUV like visibility as the driver due to higher stance, and have plenty of storage in the back for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEssad View Post
Netsurfr, thanks for the response. Very interesting to hear the GT has a longer storage area, and I can understand why the hatchback would reduce the height for cargo. Glad to hear you're happy with the performance. This is something that is important. I know it won't be the same as other smaller cars, but I need a family car that also responds well. I think I may have found what I'm looking for. (Now just need to test drive).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
TheRealEssad
Private First Class
Rep

All great points, that is basically what I'm looking for. It was really surprising just how much space car seats take up, and I'll have both for quite a while. I also like the idea of being lower to the ground, as I've always driven sedans and coupes. I don't like feeling like I'm driving a bus.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
I was totally surprised when I looked at the GT first time. Having owned a 3 series before I never in a million years expected a 3 series car to be doable for a family and I'm 6' tall & 225 lbs so not a small guy. When I measured and realized the rear seats were actually more roomy than the X5 (especially for my kid on a car seat) I was floored. Then I measured the width inside the rear seats and the GT is just 3" narrower than my X5 finally the trunk and measured that and was sold. For sure go test one out. My dealer let me borrow one for a weekend so I could do a real test drive w/ family and "stuff" to make sure it would work. Like I said I am coming from an X5M so comfort/size/performance were important. We have a 4 year old so storage for family & kid stuff was critical and although I have gotten used to M performance the 328xi GT put a big smile on my face when I test drove it but I opted for the 335 for even more performance. You sit lower to the ground than the X5/X3 and handling is much better than any SUV (even one w/ M) so you feel like you have a sports car that can comfortably carry adults in the back seat, gives you SUV like visibility as the driver due to higher stance, and have plenty of storage in the back for us.
I REALLY tried to get my wife into a GT instead of the X3 for all of these reasons but she just wouldn't have it. For her she said the ride height is important for her because the taller vehicle makes putting the car seat in and out much easier since you don't have to do any bending.

The downside is with less leg room than the GT if she's driving and I am in the passenger seat I can't put the seat back very far (with the baby seat behind me) and I don't have much legroom (6'2") and have to get creative with the way I get in and out of the vehicle.

The X3's handling and acceleration surprised me, I expected much worse since it weighs several hundred pounds more than a 535. The only real negative are the brakes--even though it is a 35i it has the same brakes you'd find on a 320 or 328. At least on a GT you can get the M-Sport brakes.........
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
X3GT
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 28i X3 '14 328i Xdrive GT

I have both

I have a 2013 X3 28 and a 2014 328 GT, both with x-drive.

I love my X3 but was shocked at how much I liked the GT (spouse's car). To have the same engine, the GT is slightly faster and a bit wider which helps in the handling. I do like the ride height of the X3 but the extra 4" of height over a standard F30 makes a huge difference in the F34.

For us, the biggest difference is passenger volume because the backseat legroom of the GT is amazing and the rear seat reclines three notches giving it an even larger feeling if needed.

We have had the GT six weeks now and were actually looking at another X3 or an X1, but since we lease, the current residuals on the GT were amazing and really sealed the deal for us.
Attached Images

Last edited by X3GT; 04-16-2014 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
orangebang
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive GT

I went in shopping for an x3, I ended up with a 3GT.

More leg room, deeper trunk, and little things here and there that I liked more.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
X3GT
Registered
Rep

The one small thing is I miss the rear wiper!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3GT View Post
I would not want an F34 without the rear-view camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #15
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Only thing I would say the x3 does better for kid hauling is the door openings in the rear are bigger. Otherwise, GT is much roomier in the places it counts
      04-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #16
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
I would not want an F34 without the rear-view camera.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #17
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3GT View Post
I see what you mean but I hated the horrible noise of the wiper in my 1 series... Rear view camera is a must.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #18
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

We have a base model 2013 X3 28iX and a 2014 328iX GT w/ M-Sport. We love them both for different reasons. I have the GT and the wife has the X3.

They both handle well. The GT has a wider stance, and lower CG so it handles a little better. The trunk is deeper for sure, and great for hauling longer things like a new TV. We bought my in-laws a new TV that was in a box 78" long. It won't fit in her X3 but did fine in mine. However, the X3 does allow you to carry taller things. One great thing about the GT is that the rear seat backs can come forward, so square boxes fit better in the trunk while still allowing passenger seating.

We love the GT. But when it comes time for a baby seat, the height of the X3 makes things a heck of a lot easier. My wife wouldn't have to bend down to put the seat in - a major point when we decided on the X3 for her.

Pros and cons for both, but for daily driving pleasure, I like the GT more. A note on the rear wiper, I was and still am really surprised with how the aerodynamics of the car negates the need for the rear wiper. Unless you're in very slow traffic, I have never had a problem seeing out the back. Only 1 time this year, did snow collect on the rear windshield because I was stuck in start and stop traffic.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #19
X3GT
Registered
Rep

You actually make a very good point about the rear-wiper that I have not thought about. I am the daily driver of the X3 and tend to just look at the rear window of the GT when I pull in and see pollen or dust and think about a wiper then. When driving it in the rain I really haven't missed it - hmmmm.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
TheRealEssad
Private First Class
Rep

The rear wiper is a good point for sure. I can see what you mean about taller vs. wider, pro's for both. Having the additional height of the SUV is really a plus, too, I have to admit. We usually haul the kids in our SUV and it definitely helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
netsurfr
Private
Rep

Garage List
No doubt X3 or X5 is going to be MUCH easier when dealing with a baby and baby seats when you are at the stage of having to carry your child in and out of the seat. Now that our kid is 4 we don't pick him up in and out of the seat anymore and actually the slightly lower height from the ground of the GT is easier cause my kid can climb in and out by himself and get into and out of the seat. With my X5 I have to sometimes lift him up or down cause it's so high for him to climb up. But when he was not able to do that no way we would have gone with anything other than a tall SUV.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #22
orangebang
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
+1

seriously, rear view camera is for people that don't know how to park.

I've driven full sized dualies before, and didn't need a camera for that.

This is a smaller car that you can clearly see out of.

I had a rear view in my X3 service loaner and never even looked at it. It would've been a waste of money.
Appreciate 0