E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help my convertable roof wont open or close and windows stuck open

04-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
batman_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertable

Help my convertable roof wont open or close and windows stuck open

Hey Guys

Car is a 2007 335i

Yesterday I took my car for a drive put the roof down parked it put the roof up then the nightmare began

I tried to put the roof down agin when i left the palce at first it went all the way back in the trunk but the trunk would not close... so I closed it back and tried again same thing ... I checked for any thing blocking in the trunk all was clear . So I left the roof up and drove home when I got in the car I heard what sounded like the convertable top motor was runing. So turned the car off and back on No more motor sound. At this point the windows did go up and down, I get home try it again now it wont go up just unlocks all the points and just stays closed so I try to help it up
It went 3/4 of the way up and stayed there. I try to close it with some effort I get all the pins
Lined up and close it ( not forcing anything ) now it wont go to the lock postion and the convertable roof button is flashing red ,,, so I am like fthis ill just take it in to get it looked at
Now the windows wont go up , I assume becasue the car thinks convertible roof is not in the fully closed postion( all though it is)

Any way ideas ? I checked the fuses and reset the battery. At this point I just want the windows to go up its my daily driver and I cant use it at all now

Any way I can get this roof to open and close maunally ? By pass the snesnors and close the windoes .

Thanks

Last edited by batman_e92; 04-13-2014 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: add a note
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

What temperature were you operating the top at?
It very much sounds like a hall sensor is out of alignment confusing the top as to its position and that will stop everything.
No one here and no independent BMW mechanics I know of are going to be able to help you trouble shoot this. You really have no choice but to take it to the dealer and let them run diagnostics to identify the problem or problems. The top will not operate correctly if you try when it is cold outside.
Also is your top well lubed? My guess it is operating OK as it operated fine before.
Did you have anything in the car that touched the top or anything in the trunk that might have touched the top? Also where did you place your hands when trying to assist the top opening?
More information please but my assumption is that you need to have help from the dealer. The diagnostics for the top module from my experience are not good enough without training to correct problems...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
batman_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertable

It was about 15 dgrees out , just pushed it up gently with my hand , the owner maual was I the trunk on the right side it looked like the roof touched it. You think the book threw it out of allignment ?
Appreciate 0