THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Help finding below MSRP

04-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Help finding below MSRP

Hey all,
I am looking to move from my 1 series to the 2 series with an upgrade and need advise on acquiring a M235i under MSRP and with a trade in. I already know the build, nothing unusual and have shopped the local dealer here in Charlotte and was pretty much shunned. They told me that due to the demand and limited allocation they will not deal and also that there is not any incentives available. On top of that I was told there is no USAA discount on this car.
Then they tried to value my clean CPO 2009 128 w/auto, prem, sport, wheels, 26k mi @ $11.5k and told me they are motivating the deal and giving me $16k. Man was I floored...

So, based on that what avenues do you all pursue to get hooked up on better pricing or is it a hit and miss? I can wait a bit for the car if needed just didin’t want to wait months but will if needed.

Aprox build I am looking for:
Mineral Gray, auto, red coral, brushed alum, prem, tech, HK, cold weather, possibly including the black grills. Think MSRP is around 50k.

Any help/advise/direction or contact is appreciated

Eric
Charlotte, NC
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
sharkfighter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

In the USAA thread it looks like a few members used their car buying service to find just under mrsp
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Sounds like you are going to have to travel. Start calling other dealers. Under msrp is available, I see some listed on autotrader under msrp.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
PigWig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i X-Drive

Ok a couple of things...

First, have you blue booked your 128i? The reason I ask is that my gf just bought a 2012 128i CPO with 12k miles and lots of options for ~$25k. With the CPO markup, being 3 years newer, and having fewer miles, I imagine they are giving you a decent value for your trade. Obviously though without knowing the details, I can't look it up. See what KBB has your trade listed for. This is a good tool when buying a vehicle.

Second, it almost sounds to me like you asked them what they would give you the car for. If you didn't my apologies, but as someone who swaps cars very often, I've always found it is better to tell them what you will pay, rather than asking them what they will sell it for. Put it on them hard and make sure you meet and talk to the sales manager.

Third, remind them that you are a candidate for repeat business. I'm only in my late 20s and am already on a first name basis with two salesmen, the sales manager, and a service manager at my dealership. If they know you are a "BMW guy" who will be buying lots of BMWs from their dealership in the future, they are likely more inclined to try to earn your business.

Lastly, don't settle if you feel you aren't getting a good deal. I've walked on deals over differences of $1000 or less. If they aren't willing to work with you to reach a compromise, you may be better off driving a couple of hours to another dealership. You won't be getting any BMW dealership in the US to come down $5K off MSRP on the M235, but it isn't unreasonable to get fair trade value on your car and have them sweeten the pot by another grand or two minimum (could be by coming off the MSRP, could be by giving you more on your trade).

FWIW, I traded in a 2012 328i (F30) that KBB'ed for around $23K on my loaded up M235i (MSRP ~$52k). I ended up getting $26k for my trade, got them to drop $1k off the MSRP, and got them to wave their dealer fee of $200. The car hadn't been sitting there either, I pulled the plastic off the seats myself, and I am the only person to have ever driven it (save the 4 miles it had when shipped to the dealer).

Last edited by PigWig; 04-10-2014 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

You are correct...I had no idea of any numbers and/or trade value for my 128 prior to going in. I just showed up, test drove then they wanted to discuss options. It just felt like a slap in the face since I was a repeat customer. They evaluated it on auto trader dot com and said that KBB rates cars on the high side. I will take your advise and counter with some numbers to see how they flex.

It

My trade is a space grey '09 128i auto, sport, prem, most everything except nav, two tone interior, 26,500mi still in CPO, installed 264 wheels & spoiler from a 135, brand new rubber, new brakes-ceramic pads, drilled slotted rotors all around.

KBB says at very good trade in condition is 17,528. Range is 16,600-18,100

So then maybe my approach would be 18k for the trade and -1k off MSRP...or 19k for my trade? And see what crawls out.

I want the car but hate dealers.....

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigWig View Post
Ok a couple of things...

First, have you blue booked your 128i? The reason I ask is that my gf just bought a 2012 128i CPO with 12k miles and lots of options for ~$25k. With the CPO markup, being 3 years newer, and having fewer miles, I imagine they are giving you a decent value for your trade. Obviously though without knowing the details, I can't look it up. See what KBB has your trade listed for. This is a good tool when buying a vehicle.

Second, it almost sounds to me like you asked them what they would give you the car for. If you didn't my apologies, but as someone who swaps cars very often, I've always found it is better to tell them what you will pay, rather than asking them what they will sell it for. Put it on them hard and make sure you meet and talk to the sales manager.

Third, remind them that you are a candidate for repeat business. I'm only in my late 20s and am already on a first name basis with two salesmen, the sales manager, and a service manager at my dealership. If they know you are a "BMW guy" who will be buying lots of BMWs from their dealership in the future, they are likely more inclined to try to earn your business.

Lastly, don't settle if you feel you aren't getting a good deal. I've walked on deals over differences of $1000 or less. If they aren't willing to work with you to reach a compromise, you may be better off driving a couple of hours to another dealership. You won't be getting any BMW dealership in the US to come down $5K off MSRP on the M235, but it isn't unreasonable to get fair trade value on your car and have them sweeten the pot by another grand or two minimum (could be by coming off the MSRP, could be by giving you more on your trade).

FWIW, I traded in a 2012 328i (F30) that KBB'ed for around $23K on my loaded up M235i (MSRP ~$52k). I ended up getting $26k for my trade, got them to drop $1k off the MSRP, and got them to wave their dealer fee of $200. The car hadn't been sitting there either, I pulled the plastic off the seats myself, and am the only person to have every driven it (save the 4 miles it had when shipped to the dealer).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
ntrinsik
:]
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 228i / '99 Mazda Miata

Try autonation for a quote on your trade-in. They're offering 5k more than Autotrader for my Prius which I plan on trading in for a 235.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
PigWig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
You are correct...I had no idea of any numbers and/or trade value for my 128 prior to going in. I just showed up, test drove then they wanted to discuss options. It just felt like a slap in the face since I was a repeat customer. They evaluated it on auto trader dot com and said that KBB rates cars on the high side. I will take your advise and counter with some numbers to see how they flex.

It

My trade is a space grey '09 128i auto, sport, prem, most everything except nav, two tone interior, 26,500mi still in CPO, installed 264 wheels & spoiler from a 135, brand new rubber, new brakes-ceramic pads, drilled slotted rotors all around.

KBB says at very good trade in condition is 17,528. Range is 16,600-18,100

So then maybe my approach would be 18k for the trade and -1k off MSRP...or 19k for my trade? And see what crawls out.

I want the car but hate dealers.....

Eric
That sounds like a solid plan. Put it on them hard too. Tell them you've found another M235 a few hours away, and if they won't work to earn your business, you'll have to take it elsewhere.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0