E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Hex Head Broke on to Shock Shaft! Help!

04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Hex Head Broke on to Shock Shaft! Help!

So I was removing my shocks to install better bump stops, when I put my open then wrench on the nut and used my ratchet to tighten the hex head of the shock shaft it broke!

Somehow I accidentally forgot to put the retaining cushion guard back in but it goes right before the top nut and washer.

I tried using a dremel to cut a slit in the top of the now broken shaft top to get a flat screw driver in there, too tight I cant get the nut off!

Do I have any other way to do this?

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Impact driver should be able to crack the nut loose. Then it is time for a new shock.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 xi

put your spring compressor on the installed spring and undo the bottom of the shock and turn it from the botttom?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
I just cut the top slit deeper and wider. Wedges a flat piece of steel in there. Broke the nut loose.

I had to cut the bump stop type washer cushion and then slipped it around the shaft and torqued the nut probably less than it should but its snug.

The nut will not be able to ever come off now. So when I get new shocks next time I will have to cut the shaft behind the wheel LOL

All seems ok now. Just had to rig it up.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post
I just cut the top slit deeper and wider. Wedges a flat piece of steel in there. Broke the nut loose.

I had to cut the bump stop type washer cushion and then slipped it around the shaft and torqued the nut probably less than it should but its snug.

The nut will not be able to ever come off now. So when I get new shocks next time I will have to cut the shaft behind the wheel LOL

All seems ok now. Just had to rig it up.
Hey OP. My hex broke as well last night I think I have an idea of what you did, but wanted to see if you would have some pictures.

Right now I'm planning to dremel the top mount nut and replace the mount - gives me reason to go with the dinan upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksjm7 View Post
Hey OP. My hex broke as well last night I think I have an idea of what you did, but wanted to see if you would have some pictures.

Right now I'm planning to dremel the top mount nut and replace the mount - gives me reason to go with the dinan upgrade.
pull the bushing and dust cover down and grab the shock shaft with vise-grips
Appreciate 1