F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Failed Sensor
GetBMWParts

04-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

Failed Sensor

I parked up tonight to find one of my rear parking sensors is not working

On a more positive note I have done nearly 2k now and am absolutely loving the BMW experience.

I cant seem to help myself from hitting the sport mode for any form of overtaking, even if its just a little old lady peddling to the post office on a Sunday morning.
Attached Images

Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

any reason why it looks like the mid RHS sensor which is on the fritz on the overhead shot but the mid LHS sensor that looks not to be working in the rear view camera?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Where so you get old ladies peddling to the post office on 'Sundays' lol

My car had constantly beeping sensors because of the rain, then back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
any reason why it looks like the mid RHS sensor which is on the fritz on the overhead shot but the mid LHS sensor that looks not to be working in the rear view camera?
Good spot, that does look weird.

I've had sensors go on a couple of cars, they don't last especially if you use a powerful jet wash. How old is the car? They are easily replaced. If it ever happens out of warranty don't ask BMW, they wanted £115+vat to change the first one I ever lost, for a £15 part and 2 min of labour!! Disgraceful
      04-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I think it is right - the image on a reverse camera is 'reversed' as such - you look at the screen facing the same way as the car, so the left hand side of the image is the left had side of the car. If someone stands behind the car on the driver's side, you'd expect them to be on the right hand side of the camera's tv image)

So, the image is correct so bmw got that bit right, they just didn't build one of the sensors quite right.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #6
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Where so you get old ladies peddling to the post office on 'Sundays' lol

My car had constantly beeping sensors because of the rain, then back to normal.
Edit post office for papershop =)

The car is only just over a month old and I don't use a jet wash to clean it. so this should be a warranty issue. ill see what they say when I drop in later.
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:

Previous:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

I appreciate the rear camera image is flipped, however I still think something is not right. The flip of the image means that something on the LHS of the car should appear on the LHS of the camera image, which is not what is happening here. The PDC image shows the fault on the centre RHS of the car But the camera seems to say it is centre RHS.

I may be wrong, but I would expect an obstacle on my rear RHS to appear on the RHS of the video screen. (Not the LHS- that would be confusing - no?)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

That is exactly what is happening. The failed sensor is the 3rd from the left (or 2nd from the right) and that is the same section of the camera image that is showing no rectangle, again, as that is the sensor that can't see the obstacle.
Get someone to stand behind the left hand side of the car and you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

We will need to disagree I'm afraid, however my opinion doesn't matter as I don't have the reverse camera and without seeing one I can't comment further, however I maintain the PDC image and the camera appear weird.

Edit... I don't mean to come across snotty and I'm not doubting you are right but I just can't get my head around why the camera would display it like so, but if I saw it in action I would prob understand what was going on - but as I don't have the reversing camera, it's not really relevant to me.
Hope it gets sorted quickly tho
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

just got back from the dealership cant get the car in until after Easter oh well its only a minor thing so I can live with it till then.

Current:

Previous:
Appreciate 0