E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Okay to use hi-fi interconnects for home audio?

04-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I found a 1M Cambridge Audio 900 phono cable I used to use for my Marantz Cd player.

My thinking is... Shorter signal path and quality cable = possible better sound. It is pretty well shielded too.

Any thoughts appreciated.
*for car audio - thread title may be incorrect. Edited typo but has not changed yet.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 04-05-2014 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: Okay to use hi-fi interconnects for car audio?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

The best cables for SQ are helically wound, oxygen-free copper, coated in gold and dipped in virgin blood. They're also stroked by playboy bunnies before being shipped out. If your cables don't have these attributes, they're just as bad as using lamp cord because regular copper sucks.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
jimborae
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport LCI Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
The best cables for SQ are helically wound, oxygen-free copper, coated in gold and dipped in virgin blood. They're also stroked by playboy bunnies before being shipped out. If your cables don't have these attributes, they're just as bad as using lamp cord because regular copper sucks.
Unless you have the above type cable then the CA cable will be the next best thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborae
Quote:
Unless you have the above type cable then the CA cable will be the next best thing.
Correct
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
LMAO

For the most it's just a scam, but I would still use the highest quality cables I could find for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I say helium cooled superconductors are the next thing

in car audio .
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
in car audio .
Too hard to come by. I would just go with the ones I mentioned because you can get them at best buy in the high end magnolia section.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here they are: http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/camb-aud900-2ph-1m they are balanced will try them out soon
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #10
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox
Here they are: http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/camb-aud900-2ph-1m they are balanced will try them out soon
They are most certainly not balanced. Balanced transmission is 3 or more conductors. RCA is 2 conductor. It's marketing BS. Also, the actual transmitting and receiving circuits has to be designed for common mode rejection. It's the receiving circuit that analyzes the balanced signal for common mode noise and removes it.
Appreciate 0