F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Best sat nav ?
GetBMWParts

03-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Best sat nav ?

Do you prefer to use bmw
An external like tomtom
Your phone ?

I chose not to get pro/business nav as I prefer using my iPhone (I like siri's voice)

Am I missing out in any features ?? Pros/cons of each ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Currently use samsung and google maps.
Wife does not like small screen on phone, however like pro media.
So she 'paid' for that part of car, as she would like larger screen and not gave to mess about setting a phone up etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I am quite well known for not being keen on BMW nav, and i still cannot understand why it doesn't have audible warnings for breaking the speed limit, even with the £220 extra speed limit warning!!

But i must admit that there was an address in Norwich the other day the tomtom could not find but the car nav did!
It was Walpole gardens, tomtom just knows walpole road but bus nav had both!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

I just use post code ....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

i know there's a lot of other 'extras' included with the sat nav, business and pro.
but at the end of the day it's still upto £2,000 for a sat nav and unless you have maxed out most of the other options,
for me i could go for a bigger engine or get the whole msport plus pack next time for less.

so i use a garmin that i've had for over 3 years now....
it's now hardwired to the cigarette lighter socket feed under the glove box.
99% of what i use a satnav for is as a reminder for all the fixed speed camera locations.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I haven't ever tried BMW navigation and continue to use TomTom on my phone. However, I'm a very infrequent navigation user, so paying out for onboard navigation didn't add up for me.

I have EBT for the enhanced USB connection for iDevices and normally play music off my iPod classic in the arm rest. EBT gives me artwork etc in the basic iDrive.

I have a Brodit Pro Clip, Move Clip and iPhone holder. The Move Clip allows me to easily remove the iPhone holder to give a relatively neater dash when I don't need navigation. I power my phone from the 12V outlet under the glovebox (Interior Comfort Pack) and stream navigation by Bluetooth audio. I also hold journey and girlfriend friendly music on my phone. iPod Classic holds all our combined library's.

I'd have loved Pro-Media for the extra toys... Power meter etc. But I just don't use navigation enough. So, the included map updates, speed cameras etc of iOS TomTom and extra grand or so for other options made my decision.
      03-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

I still have maps in my car despite having sat nav. I prefer to see the road on a bit of paper. Shit I feel old.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I am quite well known for not being keen on BMW nav, and i still cannot understand why it doesn't have audible warnings for breaking the speed limit, even with the £220 extra speed limit warning!!

But i must admit that there was an address in Norwich the other day the tomtom could not find but the car nav did!
Full respect to your honesty given all the previous threads on this topic!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:
I am quite well known for not being keen on BMW nav, and i still cannot understand why it doesn't have audible warnings for breaking the speed limit, even with the 220 extra speed limit warning!!

Full respect to your honesty given all the previous threads on this topic!
Thanks mate, i always try to be honest!

Can you tell me something about pro nav, if you put the postcode in does it tell you the street name? Bus nav doesn't seem to.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
I still have maps in my car despite having sat nav. I prefer to see the road on a bit of paper. Shit I feel old.
I always check out where I am going on map or google maps before I set off and I check roads news etc.

Some of previous places I used to go to, do not really have good sat nav directions lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

I had a a through look at the market before I finally ordered a BMW with pro media.

Living in the south east, up to date live traffic information is important to me. I want more than FM based TPC updates. That means I had 3 options.

A google based phone

Tom Tom 6000 or 5000 ( includes lifetime TT traffic plus phone date service to update it and map updates.) Only subscription is for Camera Sites at £20 a year. fault from my point of view was no facility to enter own POI,s or replaace that by built in google search
Costs £250 to £300

the BMW professional system.

I rejected the former because of size of screen. If I had been happy to continue to mount and demount every time I entered and left the car and the above POI point I would have bought the TomTom.

In the end I decided to buy Pro Media with the intention of keeping about six years.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

I think that pro media Nav is great, but the RTTI is not all it's cracked up to be.....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

I have used a TomTom, Google maps on an android phone, BMW business NAV and BMW pro Nav.

The BMW pro nav in my 2014 F31 is the best IMO, the main reason being its easy and safe to use while driving. Is it worth 2k maybe not, but would I spec it again yes.

The only thing I would like on the pro nav is the speed camera alerts.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Yeah Im sure it gives you the street name.

I love pro nav. I recently went back to our old garmin as I was driving a hire car for work. Must admit - I missed pro nav so bad. The phone app to send destinations to the nav is ace, as is info plus. And screen in combination with the black panel display gives you great detail at junctions and roundabouts. I have it set to split screen with traffic display zoomed in quite close abd map view zoomed out. The garmin also takes about a year to boot up and start navigation.

That said I wouldn't say it's good value, not at all
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg
I think that pro media Nav is great, but the RTTI is not all it's cracked up to be.....
RTTI has been fine for me, it knows about all the incidents I have come across, what issues have you had with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
I do too, though just a detailed UK one and and pretty comprehensive European one. You never know what might happen, and they're better for learning the geography of an area you're visiting.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #17
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate, i always try to be honest!

Can you tell me something about pro nav, if you put the postcode in does it tell you the street name? Bus nav doesn't seem to.
No idea, never use the postcode input! I almost always use google maps send to car for any addresses that aren't already in the address book.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Similar in concept to Tom Tom and Google. There are somethings no system is going to pick up in time like the accident that happens just a few cars or mile or two in front of you before the next junction.

I used to have a trafficmaster device that was good at "late event warnings" but they stopped supporting it and the service ceased about two years ago. However it did not do navigation or divert you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
No idea, never use the postcode input! I almost always use google maps send to car for any addresses that aren't already in the address book.
I always use postcodes, i'd like to know if pro nav does it to decide if i want it in my next car.

Also the bus nav doesn't seem to let you choose a house number, does pro nav?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I always use postcodes, i'd like to know if pro nav does it to decide if i want it in my next car.

Pro media asks for house no
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood
Quote:

Pro media asks for house no
Thanks. Do you know about postcode street names?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Pro nav, easier to use, integrated as I don't like bits of kit loitering around, cables etc - they all make the car look messy and cheap. If you're gonna spend £45k-ish on a car, why cheap out?

The only time I stick a phone to the windscreen is if I am driving round a track and it's not that often.

Mind you, will be Nurburgring-ing the car end April :-) but they're fussy on filming as in you're not allowed to
Appreciate 0