F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Diesel Fuel in North America
proTUNING Freaks

03-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Diesel Fuel in North America

Looking to get an education as I planning to pull the trigger on a 320-d xDrive. In the US this diesel engine/vehicle is being "badged" as the 328d.
Are all diesel fuels the same in the US?

On some threads I have seen what appeared to be different comments relating to what was available (mostly in UK & Europe).

What are the differences?
Do different Companies (i.e. Mobile, BP, Hess, Sunoco, Truck Stops, etc) in the US have different "grades" of diesel. Or, are they all the same?

Are there different "rating" systems (akin to octane ratings 87, 89, 91, 93 on regular, Plus, HiTest/Premium gas)?

Are there any things that I should be aware of?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Last edited by ADM; 03-27-2014 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: clarification of the correct common name for the vehicle engine in the US
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Diesel has a cetane rating (very similar to octane rating, best to think of it in the same way). In the UK, where we have a lot more experience of diesel cars, you can get 'premium' diesel - like the very high octane petrols.
Some people reckon they help with mpg, or make the car quicker to respond to the throttle. I can't be certain, as I know what fuel I've put in it, and that might make me change my driving style, but I seem to get 5% or so better fuel economy on Shell premium. I use the Shell premium fuel - used to be called Optimax, now something silly like 'V-power Nitro+'.

My personal opinion is to use the best diesel that you can, unless the price gets silly. The premium Shell fuels cost 6-7 % more, but if I'm really getting 5% better economy then it's almost cost neutral.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
TaylorS
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xd M Sport

Most stations I've seen just have "Diesel" in my area. Oh, and "May contain up to 5% biodiesel". Which is the max that BMW recommends.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
Most stations I've seen just have "Diesel" in my area. Oh, and "May contain up to 5% biodiesel". Which is the max that BMW recommends.
Thanks TaylorS & robbiep,
I have also noticed that at a couple of stations in my area (where they carry diesel) the number on the pump is "40".
Does that coincide with it being a "cetane" rating?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
Looking to get an education as I planning to pull the trigger on a 320-d xDrive.
Are all diesel fuels the same in the US?
Funny that you call it a 320d when you're buying it in the U.S. But same difference, eh?
      03-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
Funny that you call it a 320d when you're buying it in the U.S. But same difference, eh?
You are correct. I should have listed it as 328d.
In Europe it is the 320d engine, which has been "badged" as the 328d for NA/US. Same engine. I guess I made the typo and did not properly refer to what it is being called in the US. Thanks for picking that up.

Other than that, any other info?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Other than that, any other info?
Not from me, sorry. I know as much as you do about the topic, so I'm eager to learn as well.
      03-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
Not from me, sorry. I know as much as you do about the topic, so I'm eager to learn as well.
So folks,
As they used to say at the end of a certain TV show from another lifetime, "Keep those cards and letters coming in..."
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Although it's from wikipedia (and therefore always to be taken with a pinch of salt) ...

Generally, diesel engines operate well with a CN from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number have shorter ignition delays, providing more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesel engines operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels.

In Europe, diesel cetane numbers were set at a minimum of 38 in 1994 and 40 in 2000. The current standard for diesel sold in European Union, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland is set in EN 590, with a minimum cetane index of 46 and a minimum cetane number of 51. Premium diesel fuel can have a cetane number as high as 60.[2]

In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. Premium diesels may or may not have higher cetane, depending on the supplier. Premium diesel often use additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.[citation needed]. California diesel fuel has a minimum cetane of 53.[3]

This also mentions and discusses the 'premium diesels' that are available. You can also get winterised diesels, which have different additives to prevent waxing in very cold temperatures - though I believe all modern BMWs have fuel heaters to reduce the likelihood of any problems

And yeah. I've got a 325d. Which is a high performance version of the 320d.
Or, in the US, the 325d would be the performance version of the 328d. Makes total sense, doesn't it
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Although it's from wikipedia (and therefore always to be taken with a pinch of salt) ...

Generally, diesel engines operate well with a CN from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number have shorter ignition delays, providing more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesel engines operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels.

In Europe, diesel cetane numbers were set at a minimum of 38 in 1994 and 40 in 2000. The current standard for diesel sold in European Union, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland is set in EN 590, with a minimum cetane index of 46 and a minimum cetane number of 51. Premium diesel fuel can have a cetane number as high as 60.[2]

In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. Premium diesels may or may not have higher cetane, depending on the supplier. Premium diesel often use additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.[citation needed]. California diesel fuel has a minimum cetane of 53.[3]

This also mentions and discusses the 'premium diesels' that are available. You can also get winterised diesels, which have different additives to prevent waxing in very cold temperatures - though I believe all modern BMWs have fuel heaters to reduce the likelihood of any problems

And yeah. I've got a 325d. Which is a high performance version of the 320d.
Or, in the US, the 325d would be the performance version of the 328d. Makes total sense, doesn't it
Thanks for the information robbiep. I wonder if there is such a thing as "premium diesel" in the U.S.? I haven't heard of it.

Yeah, I'm going to pay $1500 to "downgrade" from 328d to 325d engine specs with a tuning module.** That's stupid in more ways than one, eh robbiep?

**The manufacturer, Kelleners Sport, claims that their module functions as a stand-apart ECU, much more sophisticated and easy on the motor than the typical resistor box like the old-style piggybacks. For $1500 they better be telling the truth! But perhaps it's just a pig(gyback) wearing lipstick...
      04-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
zsqure
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Ram EcoDiesel

In the United states diesel fuel is diesel fuel. There is a winter blend for some areas that get cold and regular diesel for the rest of us. There is no difference between on road diesel and off road diesel other than the dye that is placed in the fuel when it is shipped from the distributer. There may be slightly different levels of "cetane" but unless you fill er up with jack daniels, it is all pretty much the same. If we get more cars and light trucks here that require diesel then maybe it will be worth it to refine to a higher grade. but for now the vast majority of consumption goes into engines over 12 liters displacement. Just do not run vegetable oil through it. It's not a VW.
?87 E30 vert
?16 F-type
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
In the United states diesel fuel is diesel fuel. There is a winter blend for some areas that get cold and regular diesel for the rest of us. There is no difference between on road diesel and off road diesel other than the dye that is placed in the fuel when it is shipped from the distributer. There may be slightly different levels of "cetane" but unless you fill er up with jack daniels, it is all pretty much the same. If we get more cars and light trucks here that require diesel then maybe it will be worth it to refine to a higher grade. but for now the vast majority of consumption goes into engines over 12 liters displacement. Just do not run vegetable oil through it. It's not a VW.

Thanks, I hear you, and I PROMISE not to use the McD waste stuff in my tank~

It seems that there are more and more of us in NA shifting to Diesel --at least among the aficianados (read that as BMW good guys --not to be confused with the Petrol clan~ But I am NOT disssing you folks) soooooo maybe we can expand the population of diesel users and thus get better climate control emissions and BETTTTTTTER MPG~

Color me a "believer"~
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #13
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Quote:

It seems that there are more and more of us in NA shifting to Diesel --at least among the aficianados (read that as BMW good guys --not to be confused with the Petrol clan~ But I am NOT disssing you folks) soooooo maybe we can expand the population of diesel users and thus get better climate control emissions and BETTTTTTTER MPG~

Color me a "believer"~
I hope for the same thing, more diesels. That is the primary reason I'm an adopter of the 328d. I'd like to see some of the small car diesels available in europe over here as well. I sold my Mini Cooper and have no intention of getting into another one unless they bring over the D version. Ford, Fiat and some others also have european diesels in small cars like the fiesta, and fiat 500. Bring them over!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
sy74vt96
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:

Color me a "believer"~
Doing my part for the environment ... after 6 years of being bad for the environment, gas guzzlers - M3, X5, and M5. Will be nice to see 35 to 40 mpg and not visit the gas station 2 times a week!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
...It seems that there are more and more of us in NA shifting to Diesel --at least among the aficianados (read that as BMW good guys --not to be confused with the Petrol clan~ But I am NOT disssing you folks) soooooo maybe we can expand the population of diesel users and thus get better climate control emissions and BETTTTTTTER MPG~

Color me a "believer"~
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I hope for the same thing, more diesels. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy74vt96 View Post
Doing my part for the environment ... Will be nice to see 35 to 40 mpg and not visit the gas station 2 times a week!
We've loved our 335d. I gave up AWD for it when my previous car (E46 330xi) got tired. My wife is going to buy a 328d or X3/xDrive28d (unless she likes something from Mercedes or Audi better.)

Don't worry about the haters/nay-sayers. Welcome aboard!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 335i M sport

OP: Generally, I am of the belief that Chevron and Shell make the highest quality diesel - at least that's the case here in California. I called the Chevron fuel tech line and was told the sulfur content of no2 (ultra low sulfur diesel), which is the only diesel legal to sell in the US, in CA varies between 10-13 ppm sulfur. That is close to the premium diesel sold in Europe (10 ppm or lower depending on country). I think it's been mentioned that 15 ppm is the max sulfur in the US. Sulfur content of the fuel leads to sulphated ash deposits that screw with the diesel particulate filters (emission controls).

Cetane of Chevron no2 in CA varies between 50-52. Cetane rating signifies the readiness of the fuel to ignite when compressed, not the energy content of the fuel, tho higher cetane diesel probably feels like it's giving more power. Higher cetane does improve the cold starting of the engine. Shell has recently started to sell diesel formulated or blended with diesel made from natural gas (the so-called GTL or gas-to-liquid). If you see this at the pump or in ads don't dismiss it as marketing. GTL fuels and lubricants are the wave of the future - very, very pure and high performing. I read that pure no2 GTL diesel has a cetane rating of 77+.

Aromatic content of the diesel fuel will affect its propensity to form soot or carbon deposits (bad thing for the emission controls). I've never seen any kind of aromatic ratings for no2 diesel, but the Chevron tech guy told me that CA limits aromatic content to about one third of what is allowed in other states (because of stricter particulate emission requirements). There is something called CARB no2 diesel (Califiornia Air Resources Board) and EPA no 2 diesel. Any EPA diesel refined in CA has to be shipped out of state.

I think the trend everywhere in the US will be toward higher quality diesel. In the meantime, in CA we currently pay around $4.20 + for diesel - - as much, and sometimes more than, high test gas.

'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #17
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

floydarogers,
Glad to be going this way. I totally concur.

m6pwr,
Thanks for the commentary. It was appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #18
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
Off road diesel can have up to 500ppm sulfur, on road diesel up to 15ppm. Other than ULSD could have detrimential effects on the dpf & scr systems. Different states have biodiesel % mandates so you could end up in a state in the midwest where 20% biodiesel is all that is available. BMW has no solution for this and maintains 5% bio is max for their engines.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
Off road diesel can have up to 500ppm sulfur, on road diesel up to 15ppm. Other than ULSD could have detrimential effects on the dpf & scr systems. Different states have biodiesel % mandates so you could end up in a state in the midwest where 20% biodiesel is all that is available. BMW has no solution for this and maintains 5% bio is max for their engines.
Not anymore and as of 12/2014 the last hold outs (Marine, imported, locomotive) will be ULSD.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #20
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
IME....

In the US, diesel is diesel. Although each refinery adds their own blend of additives based on the locale (colder areas in the winter get a "winterizing" blend to stop gelling).

The best practice, coming from a CR-TDI person, is to buy your fuel from a high-volume diesel vendor. Any station that has truck pumps AND normal pumps is a good sign.

On my TDI, I add in a splash of DieselKleen with each fill up.