proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Teaser! 5 German tuners has plans for over 500hp

In the next edition of German magazine Auto Bild Sportscars they will run a story about which plans 5 German tuners has for the F8x.

The byline reads:

"500hp is a no brainer"

Will post the article when next issue is released in about a months time
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

fünf Unternehmen sagen, Stoß-Garantie auch in das Rektum...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
fünf Unternehmen sagen, Stoß-Garantie auch in das Rektum...
+1. Especially with first year models, I wouldn't want to be a ginea pig..
If you look at the M5, the ECU still hasn't been cracked. And still sceptical towards piggy backs. Companies that always swore against it in the past, suddenly turn towards it with all trust. It's because it's the only current option to gain any HP/money.

Although no words yet on any problems with M5's which have been tuned via piggy backs, not sure about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
+1. Especially with first year models, I wouldn't want to be a ginea pig..
If you look at the M5, the ECU still hasn't been cracked. And still sceptical towards piggy backs. Companies that always swore against it in the past, suddenly turn towards it with all trust. It's because it's the only current option to gain any HP/money.

Although no words yet on any problems with M5's which have been tuned via piggy backs, not sure about it.
Buy tuning from a company that has full TÜV approval on their tunes and offer a warranty. That way you have both a warranty and a individually verified hp/tq gain.

I know that many don't want a old fashioned piggyback, and I completely agree that a piggyback such as what BMS offers for the M5 is a crude tool (only changing boost pressure and nothing else). But piggybacks used by AC Schnitzer are CAN based and change fuelling, ignition timing, boost etc. They are actually individually mapped for each model unlike crude "boost only" piggybacks that are generic and just change the reading of one sensor.

ACS have actually managed to crack the speed limiter on the F1x M5/6. I personally wouldn't worry with a tune from someone like ACS
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

No surprise there given past discussions. Look forward to hearing all about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

ACS have actually managed to crack the speed limiter on the F1x M5/6.
Boss, I haven't heard this before. Can you confirm?

Also, why would we assume that the encryption on the S55 engine is going to be any less sophisticated than that for the S63tu engine? My prediction is still no real CAN piggybacks or ECU remaps for many years to come for both the M5/6 and M3/4.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:

ACS have actually managed to crack the speed limiter on the F1x M5/6.
Boss, I haven't heard this before. Can you confirm?

Also, why would we assume that the encryption on the S55 engine is going to be any less sophisticated than that for the S63tu engine? My prediction is still no real CAN piggybacks or ECU remaps for many years to come for both the M5/6 and M3/4.
There is a thread over at the M5 boards about a PP delimit where we also discussed the ACS delimit.

The ACS is the only delimiter on the F1x M5/6 that has been independently verified. Last year the German magazine Auto Bild Sportscars did a high speed run at Nardo in Italy where lots of tuners had been invited. ACS brought their M6 GC and did a verified 320km/h on stock tires and 328km/h on taller tires.

They had expected to go 340km/h on stock tires since they had cracked the speed limiter but lost power at 320km/h... They later discovered a second speed limiter in the transmission, set at 320km/h.

This may (17th-18th) the same magazine is arranging a new top speed event at the Contidrom in Germany. ACS will be there and do a new run with their M6 GC! Suspect they have cracked the transmission limiter as well...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:16 AM   #8
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 35i e93

Yep, boss, i read the same article. Limiter in the transmisdion...tsss....

i assume the larger market for m3 tunes makes it more interesting for tuning companies, although i have to say everybody who thinks "a warranty" is a greencard for no-cost-with-damage-tuning has no idea about german law.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:27 AM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeentoofast
Yep, boss, i read the same article. Limiter in the transmisdion...tsss....

i assume the larger market for m3 tunes makes it more interesting for tuning companies, although i have to say everybody who thinks "a warranty" is a greencard for no-cost-with-damage-tuning has no idea about german law.
Any warranty has small printing, but it's way better than no warranty at all...

And German law is of no interest to me as I don't live in Germany but am protected by EU and national laws (as long as ACS gives a warranty on products sold in the EU they have to comply with EU law or national laws in the country they sell their products).

But of course, any warranty is only as good as it's written word and what is covered.

As regards the transmission limiter (it seems you don't believe in it?) we'll see what speed they achieve in May!!! Regardless, they managed 15km/h more than the BMW limiter set at 305km/h...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #10
535DMSport
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Paying 8500 euro for a simple tune at AC-Schnitzer is a bit much
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535DMSport
Paying 8500 euro for a simple tune at AC-Schnitzer is a bit much
ACS charges Eur 2744,- for the engine tune on a M235i

Still quite a bit of money, but not that bad considering how their tunes have compared in tests by magazines (and that they provide TUV approval and warranty).

For a complete suspension setup with changed camber settings (differently set for the M235iX and M235i) you pay EUR 2892,-
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #12
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
(as long as ACS gives a warranty on products sold in the EU they have to comply with EU law or national laws in the country they sell their products).
and in case of "disagreement", you have work with german layers and go to german cort.... I would bet its way cheaper to buy a new engine right away.

Dont get me wrong - I am not saying a schnitzer tune is no good - I am saying, that if you go for the fun, you better be prepared for additional higher cost - in worst case looking at the engine as a spare part ,-)
If it is your hobby and you have the funds - go for it. else - think twice.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeentoofast View Post
and in case of "disagreement", you have work with german layers and go to german cort.... I would bet its way cheaper to buy a new engine right away.

Dont get me wrong - I am not saying a schnitzer tune is no good - I am saying, that if you go for the fun, you better be prepared for additional higher cost - in worst case looking at the engine as a spare part ,-)
If it is your hobby and you have the funds - go for it. else - think twice.
If I buy a product from AC Schnitzer, sold by their representative in my country, it's not German law that applies. It's the laws in the country they sell it in...

Exactly the same as that I don't have to fight a warranty claim with BMW in Germany, under German law, if my car has a problem... It's the laws of my country that applies and BMW are bound by those laws. Just like in any other country in the world. If you sell a product in the USA, it's not German law that protects the buyer and seller. It's US law obviously.

Never heard of anyone, outside of Germany, having to fight a regular warranty claim with BMW in a German court...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep

ok - my mistake, I was under the impression, that you order the stuff directly in aachen and have it build in locally by whoever.

sure - if it is schnitzer a rep in your country - no legal issues in germany.
sorry - I was thinking to short here.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

Fuel pump issues round two. Let's hope not
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

So no one thinks that COBB @Jake@PTF and Dzenno@PTF can it out? They do have a tune for the N55 now.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post

there are no HPFP issues with the n55, and not sure why you would think there would be on this car

also, HPFP had zero to do with tunes
      03-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
Every new BMW now has HPFP (since they all now have DI), it's not new tech anymore
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
ACS charges Eur 2744,- for the engine tune on a M235i

Still quite a bit of money, but not that bad considering how their tunes have compared in tests by magazines (and that they provide TUV approval and warranty).

For a complete suspension setup with changed camber settings (differently set for the M235iX and M235i) you pay EUR 2892,-
ACS is a factory authorized tuner in germany. german bmw centers have to apply to even become dealers for their parts. have not seen any of their products that are not overbuilt. worth every euro cent.