F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Dent too small for paintless dent removal?
Studio RSR

03-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Dent too small for paintless dent removal?

So I was an idiot, and forgot to secure the plastic cover for my garage door opener. It plopped down onto my car's roof (just above the windshield, in front of the moonroof). It left a tiny mark, only visible in the correct light at the correct angle... my wife wasn't able to see it when I told her to take a look, and I can't really even feel it as a dent/ding (the paint is fine)... so the question is, how big/deept does a dent really have to be to get removed?

It's minor, but I'll always know it's there. :dunno:

Here's a picture - you can't really see it except for the reflection of the overhead light bending a bit:
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Sucks, but will be the first of several. Be happy your "first" was not something more noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat
So I was an idiot, and forgot to secure the plastic cover for my garage door opener. It plopped down onto my car's roof (just above the windshield, in front of the moonroof). It left a tiny mark, only visible in the correct light at the correct angle... my wife wasn't able to see it when I told her to take a look, and I can't really even feel it as a dent/ding (the paint is fine)... so the question is, how big/deept does a dent really have to be to get removed?

It's minor, but I'll always know it's there. :dunno:

Here's a picture - you can't really see it except for the reflection of the overhead light bending a bit:
You can get that out with PDR (paintless dent removal) they would just need to get access from the underside by dropping a portion of the headliner.

No more than $150.00 to fix I would say.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I would try paint less dent removal. Find a good guy, not all PDR guys are top notch.

Dropping the headliner is a project. So, if they can get into the area by dropping the interior light/overhead console then you may get away with an easy fix. Just hope its accessible and not behind a brace.

Also, consider installing safety sensors on your garage door so it will stop/reverse if an object is in path of door.
      03-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I've seen people do it from the outside with a special piece that "glues" to the dent and to which you attach a stick and a weight around the stick. As you pull the weight up it acts like a reversed hammer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
You can get that out with PDR (paintless dent removal) they would just need to get access from the underside by dropping a portion of the headliner.

No more than $150.00 to fix I would say.
I had a det from a acorn just rear of the sun roof and just about in the middle. PDR did a great job removing the dent but they did it at the BMW dealer, JMK, because they had to drop part of the head liner. Insurance paid for everthing
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I had a det from a acorn just rear of the sun roof and just about in the middle. PDR did a great job removing the dent but they did it at the BMW dealer, JMK, because they had to drop part of the head liner. Insurance paid for everthing
cheers
vern

Those Acorns can be jerks! It's all part of the great Squirrel plot. Good thing you got it fixed, they were probably marking your car for later action. Now they won't be able to find you.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
TrueBlue12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imperial 328i

Sleep on it for a few days and you'll forget all about it. Sometimes the cure can be worse than the illness.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue12 View Post
Sleep on it for a few days and you'll forget all about it. Sometimes the cure can be worse than the illness.
+1

I got a ding on my driver side rear fender within a week of picking up my 428. And I have a feeling it happened at a car wash I went to. I thought it was done intentionally by someone but had no way to prove it, but tbh it could have been an accident too, someone bumping a tool or metal object in to it, who knows. It really bothered me for the first few days and I was searching all over yelp and these forums for the best ding repair guy and even checked out some $100 DIY paintless ding repair kits to do it myself. After a few days, and advice from members here, I realized that dings and dents are just part of life, and the universe's way of telling you that your car is not immune to them lik any other car. I slept on it, and got over it. I don't even look at the ding any more. Before it was the first thing I saw when approaching my car and leaving it, not I forgot all about it.

Once I get a few more here and there, I'll take it to a guy and get a good deal on the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
+1

I got a ding on my driver side rear fender within a week of picking up my 428. And I have a feeling it happened at a car wash I went to. I thought it was done intentionally by someone but had no way to prove it, but tbh it could have been an accident too, someone bumping a tool or metal object in to it, who knows. It really bothered me for the first few days and I was searching all over yelp and these forums for the best ding repair guy and even checked out some $100 DIY paintless ding repair kits to do it myself. After a few days, and advice from members here, I realized that dings and dents are just part of life, and the universe's way of telling you that your car is not immune to them lik any other car. I slept on it, and got over it. I don't even look at the ding any more. Before it was the first thing I saw when approaching my car and leaving it, not I forgot all about it.

Once I get a few more here and there, I'll take it to a guy and get a good deal on the whole car.
As far as my dent it was deep enough to notice it and I lease so one way or another it had to be fixed. At lease end I would have to pay the other way insurance paid.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0