F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How bad is this? - MT in snow issue
ARMA SPEED

03-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
matt69
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

How bad is this? - MT in snow issue

So this morning there was about a foot of unexpected snow in my driveway. After shoveling the drifts behind my car I decided it was enough for me to pull out.

As I was pulling out I wanted to see if I was in the right tracks or not. I throw my car in nuetral, pull up on the e brake and hop out for a look. I see that i should be good but I have to go straight.

Hop back in and throw it in reverse. I rev the engine as I disengage the clutch. The car seems to pull back and but doesn't move so I think its bottomed out, spinnig on the snow, I throw it in first and try it for a second as well, same thing until I notice I had left the E BRAKE on !!!! Now mind you I only applied gas / engaged reverse / first for a second because I didn't want to bury myself if I was stuck but after I did this I smelled a slight burning in the car. I imagined to myself it was probably the e brake as the wheels slipped a little it burned the brake but as I was driving to work I couldn't help but think would that be the clutch???

The car did not stall and like I said I felt it push back a little so it seems the transmission was engaged.

It seemed to drive fine all the way to work.

What do you think? Should I be worried? Is this a big deal -is it clutch or E brake I smelled?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
matt69
Rep

Basically - would this have damaged the clutch or burned the e-brake?

If I'm not mistaken a lot of people start "burn-outs" etc with having the ebrake engaged. Can someone verify the e-brake would be the concern here, not the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
pocoyo_3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 6MT

I wouldn't worry unless you see clutch slippage after the fact. The burning you smelled must have been the clutch lining, but it should recover somewhat. We've all seen that smell at some point, either from doing multiple stop starts on steep hills, or during inclement weather where you end up slipping the clutch at times to avoid jerking the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
matt69
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my325i View Post
I wouldn't worry unless you see clutch slippage after the fact. The burning you smelled must have been the clutch lining, but it should recover somewhat. We've all seen that smell at some point, either from doing multiple stop starts on steep hills, or during inclement weather where you end up slipping the clutch at times to avoid jerking the drivetrain.
Thanks for the reply. By clutch slippage you mean if I am disengaging the clutch and it is "jerking" into gear or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

I think he means when you accel hard with pedal out does it slip? You just smelled a little clutch. Happens every now and then to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Just a little clutch burn. Don't worry about it your car is fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blu View Post
Just a little clutch burn. Don't worry about it your car is fine.
+1
      03-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
pocoyo_3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt69 View Post
Thanks for the reply. By clutch slippage you mean if I am disengaging the clutch and it is "jerking" into gear or something like that?
I was referring to manually slipping the clutch somewhat at low speeds, sometimes in traffic. I tend to do that when there is a lot of snow, and I am in traffic on a hill and I don't want to stop so I am just crawling. I get the burning smell then, but it's only temporary.

Your car is fine, don't worry. Just don't forget to enjoy driving it :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
matt69
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my325i View Post
I was referring to manually slipping the clutch somewhat at low speeds, sometimes in traffic. I tend to do that when there is a lot of snow, and I am in traffic on a hill and I don't want to stop so I am just crawling. I get the burning smell then, but it's only temporary.

Your car is fine, don't worry. Just don't forget to enjoy driving it :-)
Haha thanks for the advice.

It's crazy, I've had this car for a year and I legitimately look forward to driving it each and every day!

I have never had that "new car excitement" with any other vehicle in my life. Truly a great feeling!

Thanks for the advice everyone, seems to be okay when I am driving - I was just out of it this morning and made a dumb mistake!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

As long as you weren't this guy (an oldie but goodie)

Appreciate 0