F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Can't Get Comfortable In the Sport Seats
proTUNING Freaks

03-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Can't Get Comfortable In the Sport Seats

I realize there are other threads on this but I figured I'd share my story. I have had the car almost three months and cannot for the life of me get comfortable in these seats. I have the 10 way adjustable manual sport seats, no lumbar and since getting the car I have developed chronic low back pain which I have never had before. I never had this issue in the GTI which had, IMO, fantastic seats. I have a history of back pain but never in the low back, always upper - until now.

I recently saw a chiropractor and he checked it out and said that he believes the pain is from three things.

1. Lack of lumbar support
2. Narrow non-adjustable thigh bolstering which essentially pinches the driver's legs causing sciatic pain
3. Bucket nature of the seats where there is a gap where the seat bottom meets the seat back, causing my lower back muscles to strain to support myself since I'm never truly upright.

I have tried every adjustment combo of height, tilt, recline, seat back etc. and no luck. I have bought a few different memory foam lumbar support pillows which now defeat the best part of the sport seats which is the upper back bolstering, pushing me too far forward. I have even rolled up a towel. This adjustable feature is excellent BTW. Any lumbar pillow addition basically pushes me too far forward and defeats the bolstering benefits for the upper back.

In short, these are Spanish Inquisition torture seats. I test drove the car for about 20 minutes when I got it and didn't notice but after living with it, it's a daily problem.

That's really it. Open to suggestions but I feel like I've tried everything and it feels ridiculous using lumbar pillows etc. in my new BMW coming from a $25k VW that had the most comfortable seats I've ever been in.

I recently drove my wife's e90 328i which has the leather power comfort seats heated with lumbar etc. and they were worlds more comfortable.

Guess I should have gotten a used e90. Gonna be a long 3 years.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Electrical seats are key to finding that perfect position. These are 1000 times better than the MUCH narrower e90 sport seats. I didnt get the lumbar cause I never needed it. Can sit in these for hours and get out fresh n relaxed. I thinkntheres some seat positioning guide, google it and try

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Which seats do you have, the comfort or standard seats?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

I have heard complaints for the standard seats, but not many for the sports seats. I have them and they are the best seats I've ever had. They have lumbar support, adjust in lots of directions, including an adjustment for the thigh bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

Each body is different, I have more than anough side support from the standard seat backrests and not having sport seat thigh bolsters pinching my legs so I can actually use the footrest without having my left leg go numb, the seat base is just that narrow in the F30. In the E90 the sports seats were the ones to have. In my E46 my sport seats were way too wide. The sport seats in my E39 were nigh on perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

i had sport seats in both manual and electric in the F30. didnt have one issue with either.
      03-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Which seats do you have, the comfort or standard seats?
The electrical sport seats.

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post
I have heard complaints for the standard seats, but not many for the sports seats. I have them and they are the best seats I've ever had. They have lumbar support, adjust in lots of directions, including an adjustment for the thigh bolsters.
Better than mine then. No lumbar and the thigh bolstering is non adjustable which is retarded. Must be because I got a 320. Excellent on the upper back terrible on the lower
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

I didn't even know you could get manual seats on these cars. I have the power sport seats and love them. The padding is definitely firm, but I have no problem tweaking things to get comfortable. Could be a power vs. manual issue as someone else mentioned.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhart View Post
I didn't even know you could get manual seats on these cars. I have the power sport seats and love them. The padding is definitely firm, but I have no problem tweaking things to get comfortable. Could be a power vs. manual issue as someone else mentioned.

Jim
He likes manual seats, just not manual trannys or roll up windows because they are archaic.
      03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

If you don't have lumbar support, then add some form of lumbar support. A soft cushion, a blanket, anything that will blend in with your seats yet give your lower back the support it needs.

I also have the electric sport seats and haven't noticed anything wrong with them so far. But it's only been a month.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
He likes manual seats, just not manual trannys or roll up windows because they are archaic.
Dude at this point if I could go back in time I would have not sold the GTI and gladly live with the manual. The seats in the GTI were magical. Seriously, it was paid off. Should have just kept it until it blew up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
If you don't have lumbar support, then add some form of lumbar support. A soft cushion, a blanket, anything that will blend in with your seats yet give your lower back the support it needs.

I also have the electric sport seats and haven't noticed anything wrong with them so far. But it's only been a month.
Yeah clearly the power seats must be better. If you are only willing to spend a mere $32-36k on a car, BMW punishes you with manual torture seats, no lumbar, no heated seats and halogens. I have tried different lumbar and none of it is really that great but I'll keep trying.

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 03-12-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I have the power sport seats and I'm pretty happy. I don't have the lumbar. but still looking for the optimal position, a good blend of sport and comfort. Anyone has a seat positioning guide? That would be pretty cool to get some expert advice on that.

I think the electric seats are a must have these days on cars. I love to be able to arrange my seat position while BEING IN POSITION and not have to reach for levers etc. It really helps when seeking this perfect position.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty
Whaaaaaaat! Thigh bolster adjustment?

I could adjust mine a tad. I know there is a side bolster adjustment, but I was unaware of a thigh bolster adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

I didn't know that existed either
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #16
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I have the power sport seats and I'm pretty happy. I don't have the lumbar. but still looking for the optimal position, a good blend of sport and comfort. Anyone has a seat positioning guide? That would be pretty cool to get some expert advice on that.

I think the electric seats are a must have these days on cars. I love to be able to arrange my seat position while BEING IN POSITION and not have to reach for levers etc. It really helps when seeking this perfect position.
What's weird is the gti seats were manual and it had zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #17
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I have the electric Sport seats with lumbar option and I really wish I could raise the front of the seat bottom while keeping the rear of the seat bottom low. My seats will only raise/lower the entire seat.
      03-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Sorry to hear that. The electric sport seats are incredibly comfortable. It's like they hug me in place. Drove 3.5 hours from DC to NYC with no issues.

My Infiniti had electric sport seats too and those were also quite comfy, although the leather wasn't as soft and supple as the F30's.

Off topic, but the Infiniti trumped it on the power adjustable and telescoping steering wheel. It also moved the instrument panel so you never had to worry about the steering wheel blocking your view of something. Not the end of the world though since I use the HUD most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, have you experimented with different combos of seat height, seat back angle, seat distance from steering wheel?

I used to have the 10 way manual sports seats in my E90 and it took a while but I found a good setup.

For what it is worth, try putting the seat on its lowest setting so you can straighten out your legs, put the seat back up right to minimize the gap between your lower back and seat back, and put the steering wheel close to you so that when your shoulders are fully touching the seat back with your arms out, the steering wheel rim is next to your wrists. Also, aim the center of the steering column towards your collar bone and put the headread so your neck isn't pressed forward and extend the tight support forward by 1 or 2 clicks

That is what has worked out well for me for many years in different BMWs, both for the manual and electric sport seats and electric non sports seats

Hope you find something that works. It sucks not to be comfy in the car!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

^ Thanks. I have tried all of these things and then some. I am only 5'8" so the lowest setting would have me staring directly at the steering wheel. I have tried every combo imaginable since getting the car. I am even remotely considering swap a lease and seeing if i can get out of it. I doubt it will come to this but I'm this way with a lot of things. If I don't like something, I get up and leave. I don't see the point in an almost $400 p/month car payment for something that is painful. I know for guys dropping 8 bills a month on their 335's or whatever, 4 bills doesn't seem like a lot but honestly I could probably find a used high mileage car for $10k that would be more comfortable than this. What a drag. Otherwise I really like the car. I was trying to keep costs low and in BMW world, this is what you get when you try to keep costs low: pain. BMW punishes the poor, hahaha. It's like trying to join a country club with a coupon or something. If you can't or won't spend the money for premium package, lumbar, leather, the whole 9, you shouldn't get the car. Message read loud and clear.

Before getting the 320 I was looking at CPO 328i's and currently there are a few locally, like a 2011 328i sedan with premium, leather, sport pkg, etc. for $26k. Should have gone that route honestly. I had experience with the e90, loved that N/A I6 and knew they were good but was enticed by the F30, cheap lease payment and no money down. Now I am reaping what I sewed.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
^ Thanks. I have tried all of these things and then some. I am only 5'8" so the lowest setting would have me staring directly at the steering wheel. I have tried every combo imaginable since getting the car. I am even remotely considering swap a lease and seeing if i can get out of it. I doubt it will come to this but I'm this way with a lot of things. If I don't like something, I get up and leave. I don't see the point in an almost $400 p/month car payment for something that is painful. I know for guys dropping 8 bills a month on their 335's or whatever, 4 bills doesn't seem like a lot but honestly I could probably find a used high mileage car for $10k that would be more comfortable than this. What a drag. Otherwise I really like the car. I was trying to keep costs low and in BMW world, this is what you get when you try to keep costs low: pain. BMW punishes the poor, hahaha. It's like trying to join a country club with a coupon or something. If you can't or won't spend the money for premium package, lumbar, leather, the whole 9, you shouldn't get the car. Message read loud and clear.

Before getting the 320 I was looking at CPO 328i's and currently there are a few locally, like a 2011 328i sedan with premium, leather, sport pkg, etc. for $26k. Should have gone that route honestly. I had experience with the e90, loved that N/A I6 and knew they were good but was enticed by the F30, cheap lease payment and no money down. Now I am reaping what I sewed.
Do you have the seat high enough so you barely touch the headliner when you do the four finger salute on top of your head. And also the right distance from the wheel so your arm isn't too stretched?
      03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #22
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Dude, stop beating yourself up and don't quiy on it now. Your only problem is that you cant find the right position, simple as that. Like I stated up top, and what others are chiming in on, find a seat guide.. heres one

Appreciate 0