F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Poor dealership experiences?
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Poor dealership experiences?

I'm not sure anyone else has had any problems with dealerships but I have constantly been treated poorly at BMW dealerships and I never understand why or what I should do about it. And it's not just the same dealer, it has been three dealers now and I'm not quite sure what I can really do...

When I first started looked at BMWs, I had my heart set on a f30 335i xDrive. So I went to a dealer in Vista, CA. Nobody came out to assist me and when I finally asked, I had some guy that was vague and uninterested in showing me any vehicles. He pointed out the 3-series section to say I can go look over there if they had any. I asked if he could check the inventory list instead of me walking by like 40 of them tediously looking for one. Then he questioned why that car and what I would use or need that car for. Disturbed by what he asked and how he asked it, I ignored it, answered politely, and let it go. As we passed by a 650i, I commented on the beauty of it but never realized the high price, and he said, "Yeah, well, you get what you pay for." I was immediately turned-off by that pretentious remark and did not want to do business with this guy any longer. So I just left.

A week later in Monterey, CA, I called in this time in advanced seeing if they had my specific model in inventory, and they did and I stopped by. I got odd looks, but at least someone came up to me and asked how they could help me. I said I was interested in a 335i xDrive if any were in inventory, and before even showing me the vehicle or it's location, I was questioned of my plans of financing, leasing, trade-in vehicle, etc and why I was looking at that vehicle. I understand that with young age, they question these things, but after I assured him my business is serious and I would be willing to walk out with a new BMW that day if I enjoyed it, they still did not treat me too well with little patience, weird comments, short answers and false information to end my questions. They would say things like, “I would never buy my daughter this car.” I’m not their daughter and I feel they should refrain those unnecessary comments because it makes me feel kinda crappy for looking at BMW. What do they want me to respond to that with? “Sorry, good point and you’re right, I’ll go look at Toyota”? I'm very grateful for my opportunity which I know some people may not have, but I just want to purchase a car without the negativity.

After finally being about to test the vehicle and be falsely informed about it (They said it had an adaptive suspension standard with xDrive M-Sport, then I found out later it didn't.), I ended up leasing the vehicle, despite the service, since I loved the car and I thought I'll just buy it out if I end up having no problems with it these next few years.

Then I get a call from them saying I needed to drive back for some paperwork issues and signatures they didn't have. I said I would come back that afternoon. It's an hour drive there, about 50 miles, and once I get there, guess what, THEY RESOLVED IT WITHOUT TELLING ME. They had me drive out there for nothing, and I informed them it was a long drive and to give me a bit of time the afternoon, yet they did NOT call me back or leave me a message to inform me the issue was resolved. Unbelievable and inconsiderate of my time. And it’s a waste of my lease milage. That’s 100 miles. Of course, me being me, I didn’t speak up and just let it go and left without saying anything because I didn’t want a commotion, but I know they could do better than that.

Then as issues arrive with the vehicle (The infamous 2500-3500 RPM rattle, my license plate lights being different colors, my trunk popping open randomly, and HUD rattle), I again get horrid service. I called Stevens Creek and asked, “My trunk opens randomly and I know I can open it from the driver kick panel and the key fob, are there other ways I may be accidentally triggering it or is there possibly an issue with my vehicle? It’s new so I’m unfamiliar with the vehicle” The response I got was, “It sounds like you already know how the trunk works, what’s your question because it’s clearly an issue.” Calmly, I asked what action I should take, in thoughts he would schedule an appointment or something. He replied with I would need to come in with a servicing appointment, which he didn’t schedule for me and said alright have a good day and then hung up. I tried again, I got someone much kinder who said they weren't too busy at the moment and I could stop by if to address the issues and take further action. But apparently, rattles are normal and will eventually go away as I keep driving, even though I requested this annoyance to be repaired. I'm a 2000 miles with the car and they have NOT gone away. This is the same RPM rattle that everyone else has on here and has had BMW fix it without hesitation.

BMWNA recently asked for dealer feedback and they truly and sincerely apologize and filed these reports, but I am not sure what good that will do for me in where I live. Will it really change the dealers service? I'm most upset about the adaptive suspension lie I was told that I had, but they can't do anything about it now, can they? I already bought the car... I understand I am clearly venting about these issues and I also am aware that I may throw dealers off because of my age (19). However, it's not an excuse for me to experience such a service where they look down on me as their existing customer or have sales dismiss me with false answers and impolite commentary. It's unacceptable, and as much as I hate to compare Audi to this, I used to be treated like royalty there with service and sales. I am very respectful and kind to the point where I don't know how to speak up to them about this. I'm not just nit-picking the bad stories, this is my full BMW experience and quite frankly, I'm worried if it's going to continue to be like this for the next 3 years. I personally don't believe someone who purchases a luxury vehicle of 60k+ should have this type of experience. I'm not sure what other steps I can take...

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had any of this type of service, especially fellow Californians?
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]

Last edited by Halsifer; 03-11-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

This is indeed how most dealerships/salesmen are. I've been buying cars now at dealers for over 20 years and they have always been this way. If you think Audi is better, you are generalizing based on one nice experience. The respect you get from salesmen does get better as you get older though. When a salesman sees a 19 year old, internal flags get raised as most kids don't have the credit or cash to buy a new car. Consider yourself a lucky 19 year old and learn to accept it.
This is what I have learned over the years: In neighborhoods and economies where people are buying lots of cars and the dealerships are busy, nobody gives a crap about you. When they actually do give a crap about you, that is only until the exact second you drive the car off the lot. Most of all though, what I have learned is that if you are a car person, you will ALWAYS know more about the car you want to buy than the salesman.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Yeah it's because of your age. Still doesn't mean you should be treated that way.

I find things like scheduling appointments to test drive vehicles in advance, calling in advance and speaking to a customer service rep tend to help since it shows your serious plus you establish rapport before they actually meet you.

I've only bought two new cars in my life on my own, an Infiniti at age 22 and the F30 335i at age 29. I look young for my age (as I'm told) but I've always been treated respectfully.

Sorry again about the consistently poor buying experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Nail them on the Customer Satisfaction Survey......they literally beg for 10s.

If you aren't satisfied, they shouldnt be either.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Nail them on the Customer Satisfaction Survey......they literally beg for 10s.

If you aren't satisfied, they shouldnt be either.
Absolutely. And I've gotten 2 BMW blankets for complaining to BMWNA before.

They are pretty lame blankets but maybe these days they have better gifts they send you.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
This is indeed how most dealerships/salesmen are. I've been buying cars now at dealers for over 20 years and they have always been this way. If you think Audi is better, you are generalizing based on one nice experience. The respect you get from salesmen does get better as you get older though. When a salesman sees a 19 year old, internal flags get raised as most kids don't have the credit or cash to buy a new car. Consider yourself a lucky 19 year old and learn to accept it.
This is what I have learned over the years: In neighborhoods and economies where people are buying lots of cars and the dealerships are busy, nobody gives a crap about you. When they actually do give a crap about you, that is only until the exact second you drive the car off the lot. Most of all though, what I have learned is that if you are a car person, you will ALWAYS know more about the car you want to buy than the salesman.
I understand, and I'm not trying to generalize off one dealer and one experience. This has been from multiple Audi dealers and Infiniti. I don't think Audi is better, I'm saying I know based on past dealers, I do not have to get the dismissal I get from BMW. I know I am very privileged and extremely grateful for the vehicle I drive at my age, and I take their thoughts of seeing a 19-year-old walk in into consideration. They probably think it's some kid ready for a joyride, and I don't blame them! But when I show them my trade-in vehicle, title in hand and state my business, they should not respond with poor service.

And I drove off that lot with the 335i xDrive I fell in love with, assuming their service should improve now that I own the vehicle, but it has yet to happen. I knew about the car and I knew what I wanted out of it. I specifically asked about the suspension if there is an xDrive suspension or Sport/Adaptive. He assured me the suspension adapts to the drive mode if I bought an M-Sport vehicle (false information). Me assuming he knows what he's talking about since he sells the vehicle, my intention is to believe him. But clearly it was a mistake to listen to these 'BMW-knowledgable' salespeople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I find things like scheduling appointments to test drive vehicles in advance, calling in advance and speaking to a customer service rep tend to help since it shows your serious plus you establish rapport before they actually meet you.
I did for Monterey and they said to come by if I wanted to take it for a drive, which I did, then they saw me, then they hesitated. Go figure, lol.

Quote:
Absolutely. And I've gotten 2 BMW blankets for complaining to BMWNA before.

They are pretty lame blankets but maybe these days they have better gifts they send you.
Marked them down, that's why BMWNA called me, although I have yet to receive any blankets though, haha! A couple other guys I know who purchased their vehicle to the same dealer got gift bags, paid for lunch, a blanket, jacket, travel bottle, and keychains. I fortunately received a water bottle and the second key to the car, which they forgot to give me so I went back a third time for it...
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

You've had all these cars by age 19? Are you maybe posting from your dads account?

2014 BMW 335i xDrive Alpine White ---- M-Sport/Premium/Cold Weather/Technology/HK/Driver Assist+/Active High Beam/8AT Sport
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 [Sold]
2003 BMW e46 325i [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Besides, the way you compose your sentences and structure your responses makes you sound way beyond your years. What are we missing here?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
I've been buying cars for 38 years and I'm not sure i have ever had a bad experience. I think a lot of it has to do with your self confidence and attitude going in. If I had that trunk problem i would have just driven right into service and asked for assistance. I've done that with low oil, lights out etc and ALWAYS get served. I understand being a young looking 19 yr old girl could present problems. Just have to try a different salesman or dealership or talk to sales manager.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
pocoyo_3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 6MT

BMW Ann Arbor are terrible. Firstly, getting an exact price for a lease monthly payment is like pulling teeth. In my case they gave me a range and would not be more specific. The range seemed high, so I wanted more details, but that resulted in my salesman going to ask his manager (real shades of Fargo). He made it clear that each time it was a lot of trouble for him. I finally got a money factor out of them (marked up to 0.0017). Lastly, they said they were too busy to give me a test drive and I would have to make an appointment.

I'm taking my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by my325i View Post
BMW Ann Arbor are terrible. Firstly, getting an exact price for a lease monthly payment is like pulling teeth. In my case they gave me a range and would not be more specific. The range seemed high, so I wanted more details, but that resulted in my salesman going to ask his manager (real shades of Fargo). He made it clear that each time it was a lot of trouble for him. I finally got a money factor out of them (marked up to 0.0017). Lastly, they said they were too busy to give me a test drive and I would have to make an appointment.

BMW of AA is awful, I pulled out of my F30 order half way through due to a bad experience with them. Go to Erhard, much better. I find pretty much all auto related outfits in AA terrible compared to the northern detroit metro area. No good perf shops other than arbormotion, and that place is way overpriced. Too many clueless rich people, everyone else drives Subaru or works for big 3. I take my Audi to Farmington Hills, Germain is as bad as BMW AA.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
I've been buying cars for 38 years and I'm not sure i have ever had a bad experience. I think a lot of it has to do with your self confidence and attitude going in. If I had that trunk problem i would have just driven right into service and asked for assistance. I've done that with low oil, lights out etc and ALWAYS get served. I understand being a young looking 19 yr old girl could present problems. Just have to try a different salesman or dealership or talk to sales manager.
You live in Canada where everyone is nice, so you don't count!
Try buying a car in Long Island where if you aren't buying a 6 series, you are just wasting their time!

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my325i View Post

Thats brutal. Good call on walking.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
You've had all these cars by age 19? Are you maybe posting from your dads account?
Yes, I have. My family has always been a big car family. I gave the 325i to my stepbrother and someone else had an accident with my mustang, so we sold it for what we could. The Audi was then my vehicle, then I traded it in for a 335i xDrive. I know it may seem excessive, but we all have different lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
Besides, the way you compose your sentences and structure your responses makes you sound way beyond your years. What are we missing here?
I have no idea, you have my side of the story. I'm not sure how I structure my word composition should reflect my age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Well, I am a 19-year-old boy, haha. But yeah, you might be slightly right... I guess I sometimes get a little frustrated by their ignorance to my vehicles issues, and I don't want them to cause a conflict or argument and end up not resolving any problems. But my issues are still unresolved so I guess that's not working, lol. So usually if they say something is 'normal' or they don't believe it is a problem worth fixing, I would leave, in hopes try another service rep or dealer if possible. Maybe I should start being more stern with them since it's been a couple dealers now... or I could try San Francisco, but they seemed extremely busy every time I've called.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]

Last edited by Halsifer; 03-11-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

To take most of the negotiating out of person to person form I first emailed the dealer and once I found their inventory emailed about that specific vehicle. Then when he told me to "just come in and we will take care of you", I told them the numbers I was getting from other dealerships and what I was expecting. That way when I walked in even though I was only 27 when I bought my F30 (and I prob looked like I was 16), they knew I was serious from the get go.

One piece of advice: I never go to a dealership in shorts and sandals either. i feel that it makes them per-emptively judge you. I feel like dressing the part - that you are serious to buy a car and that you can afford it goes a long way. Oddly enough the one time I rolled up to a Scion dealer in my C63 looking at a FR-S there were like 5 guys trying to help me. And I had stopped there on a whim when I saw they had a car on the lot so I was probably in.... you guessed it shorts and sandals.
      03-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
Yes, I have. My family has always been a big car family. I gave the 325i to my stepbrother and someone else had an accident with my mustang, so we sold it for what we could. The Audi was then my vehicle, then I traded it in for a 335i xDrive. I know it may seem excessive, but we all have different lives.

I have no idea, you have my side of the story. I'm not sure how I structure my word composition should reflect my age.

Well, I am a 19-year-old boy, haha. But yeah, you might be slightly right... I guess I sometimes get a little frustrated by their ignorance to my vehicles issues, and I don't want them to cause a conflict or argument and end up not resolving any problems. But my issues are still unresolved so I guess that's not working, lol. So usually if they say something is 'normal' or they don't believe it is a problem worth fixing, I would leave, in hopes try another service rep or dealer if possible. Maybe I should start being more stern with them since it's been a couple dealers now... or I could try San Francisco, but they seemed extremely busy every time I've called.
Ooops , sorry about that. I was sure i read that above...
You shouldnt have to go too far from home. Go where you want and go through different salesmen if you have to. Some are nicer/better than others but you will learn how to figure them out and get answers. Same goes with service guys. Get to know a couple of them. THATS the best way to get treated well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
To take most of the negotiating out of person to person form I first emailed the dealer and once I found their inventory emailed about that specific vehicle. Then when he told me to "just come in and we will take care of you", I told them the numbers I was getting from other dealerships and what I was expecting. That way when I walked in even though I was only 27 when I bought my F30 (and I prob looked like I was 16), they knew I was serious from the get go.

One piece of advice: I never go to a dealership in shorts and sandals either. i feel that it makes them per-emptively judge you. I feel like dressing the part - that you are serious to buy a car and that you can afford it goes a long way. Oddly enough the one time I rolled up to a Scion dealer in my C63 looking at a FR-S there were like 5 guys trying to help me. And I had stopped there on a whim when I saw they had a car on the lot so I was probably in.... you guessed it shorts and sandals.

You shouldn't have to dress the part, every customer should be treated the same and shouldn't be screened for their appearance, age, gender, etc. Dealerships should see any customer walking through the door as a potential sale and treat them as such.

I saw above someone mentioned experiences at dealerships in bigger markets yield worse experiences because it is all about the next sale. Experiences in the smaller markets where it is less busy and less congested yield a better experience because like a smaller classroom size, they can tend to you far more efficiently.

Someone also mentioned getting as much done BEFORE you get to the dealership - I agree. Gives you time to build rapport, smooth out all of the details, and get things scheduled... that should work better for bigger markets/dealerships.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
My CA did pay attention to things like the watches I wore (I like watches but didn't wear anything particularly pricey, just casual watches) and he also commented on the scarf I was wearing once. I had visited him a total of 3 times, once to test drive, second to place an order and third for pick up.

That said, I just dressed as a normally do. If it were summer, I'd of just rolled in with sandals and shorts if the weather warranted it. I'm not there to impress anyone, I'm there to buy a car, if they won't sell me one I'll find someone who will.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

it is true dressing up generally gets better attention.

However, if the typical sales/service people are knowleable, they'll know the ones with deep pockets generally are in shorts/flip-flops.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post

Because most people your age come on a forum and start posting like it is a text message.

Example:

OMG Dealerz hurr r so fkin retarded Lolzer!!!!

They would probably be posting in a different area too wondering if 22" "rims" would go on their E39 or E46.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 320i ActiveFlex

I had about the same experience when I went to my dealer the first time.
I could see in his face that he did not believe he was going to sell me anything and was not very eager to show me the car.

But I was not expecting any other treatment there or anywhere else, so no disappointment, it's not like I'm going to marry the guy.

get over it and enjoy your car
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #22
tunjik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I have been buying vehicles for the past 20 years, averaging a new vehicle every 3 years and have been treated like crap every time I went to purchase a vehicle. During my quest for my 2012 BMW 328i, I was looking at cars in the high 30 to low 40 thousand dollar range. I was looking at a Buick Regal GS FWD, the salesman was knowledgable and courteous but the Buick drove like crap. My worst story was when I was looking at the Ford Escape, the new body-style was just introduced and this salesman told me to drive myself across the street and look at one "somewhere over there..." and took out his portable seat and sat his lazy ass down. These were some of my experiences when I was searching for my latest car.

I have always loved BMW's since i bought my first issue of Motor Trend back in 1988 with the BMW 750iL on the cover. I always looked forward to the time where I could buy my first BMW. Approaching 35 years of age and looking for my latest vehicle. I thought BMW's were maybe a little out of my range, I considered leasing but I like to take road trips and would go over the miles. I took a trip to Schomp BMW (which placed 12th on the customer satisfaction
list and saw my silver BMW with the manual transmission sitting right on the lot as I drove up. The client advisor came out and greeted me as I was there to spend money. I was convinced to take a test drive and i was hooked. The best thing about the whole buying experience was the fact I was treated with respect through the entire buying process. The hard part was convincing my wife to get the car, I had to buy her a 328i with xDrive in order to get mine. Even when we go to service, every service advisor, greeter, everyone I come in contact with is extra friendly. I will buy all my BMW's from Schomp for as long as I can.
Appreciate 0