F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Observations after my first winter in the F30 335i M Sport RWD auto
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Observations after my first winter in the F30 335i M Sport RWD auto

As some of the snow is finally melting here in Ontario, I have had a chance to see what a number this winter has done on my car exterior. Here's a list of all the things, good and bad, then I have noticed about the car in general. I'm interested to see what others have noticed - especially those with white cars.

1. It's been great in the snow with the Pirelli Sottozero tires. Early on I had a leak in the front right that was replaced for free. Since then, the pressure monitor went off like 3 times and 2 of those times a tire was low...that was disconcerting. But performance-wise, it has been incredible in the snow. When these wear out I think I'll pass on the "performance winter tires" and go right to blizzaks or Nokians for even better traction.

2. Alpine white - man does it take a beating. I did my first driveway wash since December yesterday and the brake dust/road particles are ridiculous. Little brown specs everywhere. I'm gonna have to clay bar the whole damn thing again, which means I'll have to do the entire Zaino prep and coating from step 1. I don't care what sealant/wax you use, unless you park it or wash it every day in the winter, these Canadian cars get hammered. I thought about buying a beater for the winter but I can;t justify spending almost $70k and not driving the car all year.

3. The HVAC/heating fan/fan motor is loud as a mofo. That's all I am going to say about it or I'll start getting angry.

4. The right side exhaust pipe seems to "mork" more than the left. I've noticed right after I start it up, there's only exhaust coming from the right pipe then after I drive for a bit, if I get out and check, it comes from both pipes. Also, there is considerably more build up in the right pipe. This isn't a winter issue, but I was washing it so much in the summer and fall that I never noticed.

5. Ride height was never an issue. I was worried about driving on unploughed roads and the m sport fascia smashing into chunks of ice, but so far, so good.

6. Not a BMW issue but iphone/ipods don't work in the morning if it's below like -7C.

That's all I can think of for now.....anyone else experienced any of these things? I am quite curious about the exhaust pipe thing...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

The issue you're having with the exhaust is normal. There's a valve in the left exhaust that opens and closes depending on conditions and selected setting (comfort, eco vs sport/sport+).

The one on the right is open 100% of the time, so fumes are always coming out of it. The driver side one is probably open 50% of the time, so it's normal that it's not nearly as dirty as the other one.

Basically, in sport/sport+ the valve is open at all times. In comfort, the valve is closed during regular driving, but opens up when the RPMs go up or under hard acceleration.
      03-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
As some of the snow is finally melting here in Ontario, I have had a chance to see what a number this winter has done on my car exterior. Here's a list of all the things, good and bad, then I have noticed about the car in general. I'm interested to see what others have noticed - especially those with white cars.

1. It's been great in the snow with the Pirelli Sottozero tires. Early on I had a leak in the front right that was replaced for free. Since then, the pressure monitor went off like 3 times and 2 of those times a tire was low...that was disconcerting. But performance-wise, it has been incredible in the snow. When these wear out I think I'll pass on the "performance winter tires" and go right to blizzaks or Nokians for even better traction.

2. Alpine white - man does it take a beating. I did my first driveway wash since December yesterday and the brake dust/road particles are ridiculous. Little brown specs everywhere. I'm gonna have to clay bar the whole damn thing again, which means I'll have to do the entire Zaino prep and coating from step 1. I don't care what sealant/wax you use, unless you park it or wash it every day in the winter, these Canadian cars get hammered. I thought about buying a beater for the winter but I can;t justify spending almost $70k and not driving the car all year.

3. The HVAC/heating fan/fan motor is loud as a mofo. That's all I am going to say about it or I'll start getting angry.

4. The right side exhaust pipe seems to "mork" more than the left. I've noticed right after I start it up, there's only exhaust coming from the right pipe then after I drive for a bit, if I get out and check, it comes from both pipes. Also, there is considerably more build up in the right pipe. This isn't a winter issue, but I was washing it so much in the summer and fall that I never noticed.

5. Ride height was never an issue. I was worried about driving on unploughed roads and the m sport fascia smashing into chunks of ice, but so far, so good.

6. Not a BMW issue but iphone/ipods don't work in the morning if it's below like -7C.

That's all I can think of for now.....anyone else experienced any of these things? I am quite curious about the exhaust pipe thing...
Our winters are brutal. 6" inches of snow coming tonight!! Everyone thinks those sealants are amazing. I'm a sceptic. If they worked so well you wouldnt have all this staining. Havent hand washed mine yet. Carpets are now white from salt.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Our winters are brutal. 6" inches of snow coming tonight!! Everyone thinks those sealants are amazing. I'm a sceptic. If they worked so well you wouldnt have all this staining. Havent hand washed mine yet. Carpets are now white from salt.
I'll definintely be buying the Esso or Shell car wash card next winter. I think it's like $200 and you can go once per day for 90 days.

As for the sealants and whatnot - I can tell you the Zaino is still working in that the water still beads off very well. But here's the rub - nothing will be as hard as clear coat. And clear coat still gets infiltrated/permeated/penetrated by brake dust particles and crap off the road. So there is no reason an aftermarket sealant will prevent that. Even the almight Opti-coat will suffer this affliction.

I will use up my Zaino until it is gone then decide what I want to use next. I'll always protect my paint with something, but there is certainly a decision to be made about effort vs results when you consider that the winter will beat up the exterior no matter what you've used or how diligently you've applied it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Don't know if you care about your rims/wheels (if they're winter-only probably not), but salt spray and the newer de-icers (calcium chloride/magnesium chloride) play havoc on them. They get into the tiny cracks in the clear-coat and corrode the aluminum. They're gonna corrode no matter what, but cleaning them extra well extends the appearance for a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

I agree. There is nothing that will protect your finish. I tried Wolfgang sealant last year and it appears to give just as good a shine as high end carnauba and it is WAAY easier to apply and remove. Any new car will bead water for quite a while especially if youve gone through a car wash. The only car wash card I have seen is Petro and has brushes. Is there a touchless one? I'd snag that for sure. Never seen rugs as bad as mine. Think I need different winter mats.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
I agree. There is nothing that will protect your finish. I tried Wolfgang sealant last year and it appears to give just as good a shine as high end carnauba and it is WAAY easier to apply and remove. Any new car will bead water for quite a while especially if youve gone through a car wash. The only car wash card I have seen is Petro and has brushes. Is there a touchless one? I'd snag that for sure. Never seen rugs as bad as mine. Think I need different winter mats.
I am pretty sure Esso has the card and there are a lot of Essos with touchless systems.

I'll never go into a automated wash with brushes aka a scratch machine...

Edit: http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/maintenance/3181.aspx

Nothing for Esso....crap.

In that case, we're screwed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

My AW took a beating too. Rock chips are very apparent and so is dirt, tar and other particles like you've noted.

My windshield took a beating, few rock chips there too.

No problem with loud fans.

My right side tail pipe was much dirtier than the left, this is normal, when you start the car the left pipe is closed. And car start-up is when you get the most carbon emissions. Both pipes were so dirty I used 0000 steel wool to clean them out. Came out great and no scratch. The carbon appears to have etched the chrome finish a little, I will try to polish later.

I don't seem to have issues with my phone at -20C. I leave a USB drive with music in the car at all times and never an issue with this either.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Don't know if you care about your rims/wheels (if they're winter-only probably not), but salt spray and the newer de-icers (calcium chloride/magnesium chloride) play havoc on them. They get into the tiny cracks in the clear-coat and corrode the aluminum. They're gonna corrode no matter what, but cleaning them extra well extends the appearance for a couple years.
Very interesting. Who knew?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I have to clay my wifes alpine white every spring. the rail dust really starts to become visible. Long process to remove but at least it will look nice till the next spring.

Have also been using 000 or 0000 steel wool on both our BMWs exhaust pipes and it shines them up great.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
1. It's been great in the snow with the Pirelli Sottozero tires.
...But performance-wise, it has been incredible in the snow.
Agree! I decided to give it a try and go with 225 front /255 rear 18". Coming from 12 winters driving 225/17 on my old 330i E46.
Setup worked out perfect. Best snow traction I've ever had with a RWD. (I drove about 10 RWD on Snow over the past 20 years.)
Naturally RWD is not AWD, so I don't expect miracles.

I wasn't sure before ordering if I should go for RWD or AWD with respect to the 306 HP in winter. I like driving on snow with RWD, but just wasn't sure. Where I live winter is normally not to hard, unless I go to the mountains for skiing. But we have some hills around also down here in my area. I wanted to stay with my tradition, never to mount snow chains in my life. Well let's see what the future will bring...
Anyway, I'm glad I decided for RWD again.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I don't seem to have issues with my phone at -20C. I leave a USB drive with music in the car at all times and never an issue with this either.
Really eh? My iphone 3Gs is now my in-car ipod and if I leave it in overnight it usually has the low temp warning on the screen in the morning...so I just listen to Stern or NFL radio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Have also been using 000 or 0000 steel wool on both our BMWs exhaust pipes and it shines them up great.

OK I will have to get some of that. Is the number of 0s something to do with the grit of the wool?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Agree! I decided to give it a try and go with 225 front /255 rear 18". Coming from 12 winters driving 225/17 on my old 330i E46.
Setup worked out perfect. Best snow traction I've ever had with a RWD. (I drove about 10 RWD on Snow over the past 20 years.)
Naturally RWD is not AWD, so I don't expect miracles.

I wasn't sure before ordering if I should go for RWD or AWD with respect to the 306 HP in winter. I like driving on snow with RWD, but just wasn't sure. Where I live winter is normally not to hard, unless I go to the mountains for skiing. But we have some hills around also down here in my area. I wanted to stay with my tradition, never to mount snow chains in my life. Well let's see what the future will bring...
Anyway, I'm glad I decided for RWD again.
You are a brave man. I did some driving in Switzerland and Austria last May and luckily the snow had melted enough that the roads were dry, but even when you're not driving the passes, those are some windy roads and I don't know if I'd have the stones to drive them in the wither with RWD

...although I guess it'd be different if I had done it all my life....which I wish I had becuase it is maybe the moct beautiful region I've ever seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #14
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

OK I will have to get some of that. Is the number of 0s something to do with the grit of the wool?
Exactly. The more 0's the more fine the wool is. I'd stick with 0000. It's specifically meant for cleaning windows without water or cleaning chrome without leaving any swirls. If you have really bad build up you maye want to hit it with 000 first. Really either grade is pretty safe.

I started using the wool as part of my normal cleaning and my tail pipes look brand new all the time now. The hint of carbon build up that does come after a week or so is easily wiped away.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Really eh? My iphone 3Gs is now my in-car ipod and if I leave it in overnight it usually has the low temp warning on the screen in the morning...so I just listen to Stern or NFL radio...

Yes get 0000 this is the finest. I feel that 000 would be too coarse. 0000 cleaned them just fine for me
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #16
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Yes get 0000 this is the finest. I feel that 000 would be too coarse. 0000 cleaned them just fine for me
Going to try that too. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

I have Estoril Blue and it seems that it gets filthy dirty within the hour after a wash. I noticed a nasty surprise today where the back part of one of the sideskirts came loose. I'm thinking of taking it to a local shop as it will probably not be worth going through a dealership (long wait period to set an appointment, out of the way, rental car bs, etc. etc. etc.)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3
I have to clay my wifes alpine white every spring. the rail dust really starts to become visible. Long process to remove but at least it will look nice till the next spring.

Please explain how you use the steel wool on your pipes? Do you also use a chemical or cleaning agent? I have never seen steel wool other than at the grocery store for cleaning frying pans. For some reason, I think this would be a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post
Please explain how you use the steel wool on your pipes? Do you also use a chemical or cleaning agent? I have never seen steel wool other than at the grocery store for cleaning frying pans. For some reason, I think this would be a bad idea.
I wouldn't use the stuff from the grocery store. It's probably far more aggressive. I use water and Steel Wool, that's it.

You can read about the various grades here:

http://steelwooldirect.com/grades-and-applications/
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #20
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3magine View Post
I have Estoril Blue and it seems that it gets filthy dirty within the hour after a wash. I noticed a nasty surprise today where the back part of one of the sideskirts came loose. I'm thinking of taking it to a local shop as it will probably not be worth going through a dealership (long wait period to set an appointment, out of the way, rental car bs, etc. etc. etc.)
If the car is fairly new just drive into service and see if they can fix it on the spot. Parkview is really good at that sort of stuff. They helped me on the spot many times.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3magine View Post
I noticed a nasty surprise today where the back part of one of the sideskirts came loose.
That impeccable German engineering....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post
I wouldn't use the stuff from the grocery store. It's probably far more aggressive. I use water and Steel Wool, that's it.

You can read about the various grades here:

http://steelwooldirect.com/grades-and-applications/
Will that 0000 steel wool leave abrasions and look dull? Do you need to then polish?
Appreciate 0