E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost Oscilation/boost leak

03-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Boost Oscilation/boost leak

I m having boost oscillations after installing the COBB stage 1 aggressive tune. I am wondering if the cause can be a boost leak? I am hearing whistling sound under heavy throttle, could that be a boost leak sound I am hearing? I am not getting any codes thrown so if it is a boost leak it has to be minor. How do I go about detecting if it is a boost leak?

I have my log attached. If anyone could tell me for sure if it isn't a boost leak or if it is a possible boost leak and how to go about diagnosing it and fixing it that would be great.

http://www.datazap.me/u/tennispr0/co...pulls-3rd-gear
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

I would expect to see a sharper drop for a boost leak. It looks more like your wastegates where cycling while you were over requested boost. I would try one of two things. Run more boost eariler in the rev band to see if it has them same symptoms. Or if you have shop air I would pull off your intercooler inlet pipe and pressure test to 20psi. This is assuming you did the normal boost leak checks of tightening connections checking for cracks and oil residue.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

I do not know how to do the normal boost leak check. Do I just check and make sure clamps are tight that are connected to the intercooler basically?

Can anyone else chime in on this if it seems like a boost leak or not and if so, how can I check where it is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
Allen@MOTIV
Rep
Drives: 135i

I see no signs of a boost leak in that log. WGDC is well within expected range and shows no evidence of having to overcome a leak. The boost oscillations/over boost appears to be your only problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cool thanks a lot for the reply. I am hearing a whistling sound under heavy throttle, could that be a boost leak? I mean if it was a small boost leak, would it even be possible to hear it like that while driving? If not, then I will dismiss the possibility of the boost leak. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

There's a thread on here for how to replace your vacuum lines. You may want to check them all for leaks.
      03-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
Cool thanks a lot for the reply. I am hearing a whistling sound under heavy throttle, could that be a boost leak? I mean if it was a small boost leak, would it even be possible to hear it like that while driving? If not, then I will dismiss the possibility of the boost leak. Thanks in advance.
The boost leak that you hear is you waste gates opening up.

You are averboosting which causes throttle closures which makes waste gate open to release excessive pressure.

You don't have a boost leak.
      03-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer305 View Post
The boost leak that you hear is you waste gates opening up.

You are averboosting which causes throttle closures which makes waste gate open to release excessive pressure.

You don't have a boost leak.
Okay that makes sense. It actually isn't happening at just heavy throttle, but I would say moderate as well. Is this dangerous to the turbos? I know these turbos have wastegate issues, could this contribute to making that happen since it seems the wastegates are working harder than they have to?

I know to fix this I should get a protune, but is there any other way? I have the COBB stage 1 aggressive tune by the way. Are others with this tune having the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
Okay that makes sense. It actually isn't happening at just heavy throttle, but I would say moderate as well. Is this dangerous to the turbos? I know these turbos have wastegate issues, could this contribute to making that happen since it seems the wastegates are working harder than they have to?

I know to fix this I should get a protune, but is there any other way? I have the COBB stage 1 aggressive tune by the way. Are others with this tune having the same problem?
You base table is a little too high for this cold weather, that's all. Almost everyone in cold weather is having the same problem with OTS maps.

Base is the trickiest one to dial in, not something I would recommend you do yourself if you have no idea what to look for.
      03-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer305 View Post
You base table is a little too high for this cold weather, that's all. Almost everyone in cold weather is having the same problem with OTS maps.

Base is the trickiest one to dial in, not something I would recommend you do yourself if you have no idea what to look for.
Okay. Well we are finally having warm weather here in Philly today (60!) lol. I will see if I have some time to log and hopefully it clears up. Thanks.
Appreciate 0