F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dealer Offered Options --What are they? Worth it or NOT & WHY?
GetBMWParts

03-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Dealer Offered Options --What are they? Worth it or NOT & WHY?

I know that most try to pre-plan what their vehicle will have on order, so that you can continue to "oooooooh & ahhhhhhhh" every time you look at your baby and/or sit behind the wheel. You probably have specked everything out by reading/researching and visually seeing it on other models. Weighed it all in already before sitting down for that last meeting in the showroom before you officially commit on the deal.

You want to avoid saying, "I should of...", or "I wish I had..."

NOW, comes the final step, signing off on the order form, and the Sales Rep (CA or what ever moniker is currently in vogue) begins the pitch for the "add-ons".

What have you come across --The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?????

What might be worth considering?
What might be snake oil that you should not need?
And WHY?

Don't forget to include pricing as this does impact on it all as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

I got a number of things just because it was cheap. My dealer threw in lost key replacement, paint/interior protection, and tire/wheel replacement for only $180 ($5/month on my lease). It was so cheap because I was leasing a third BMW from them in the past couple years.
      03-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
I got a number of things just because it was cheap. My dealer threw in lost key replacement, paint/interior protection, and tire/wheel replacement for only $180 ($5/month on my lease). It was so cheap because I was leasing a third BMW from them in the past couple years.
Thanks for sending, these are new items for me to remember. Worth considering, especially at that price!
BTW- were there any specific exclusions on the tire/wheel replacement? Or was it for ANY cause?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Not a single thing. I find no value in the add-ons, especially if you lease. My CA, who also happens to be a friend, agrees.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
Thanks for sending, these are new items for me to remember. Worth considering, especially at that price!
BTW- were there any specific exclusions on the tire/wheel replacement? Or was it for ANY cause?
Mine is for any cause, even curbing the rim.

Just because its a lease doesn't matter IMO, because I treat my cars like I own them during a lease, and you may be liable for damages after anyway. At the price I was offered, it's a no brainer
      03-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
Mine is for any cause, even curbing the rim.

Just because its a lease doesn't matter IMO, because I treat my cars like I own them during a lease, and you may be liable for damages after anyway. At the price I was offered, it's a no brainer
I feel the same way XenaBimmer. However, in my scenario, I will be purchasing the vehicle. Soooooooooooo I will own it. And would like to invest in it wisely without later on looking over my shoulder thinking, "I shoulda, woulda, coulda... And I didn't."

Cars seem to stay with me a while... The previous vehicle I had was an Acura that had 308K on the odometer (which had 298K on the original clutch, that was changed only because of another part--it was still good) and I lost it because someone who medically should not have been on the road, rear ended me while I was stopped at a traffic light, & totaled my vehicle with me in it. I am upgrading from my current 330i because I feel that the timing is right for a new one.

That being said, I truly am interested in the comments out there, including Alpine435i's. It was appreciated.

It is a balancing act. For me an analogy to make my point might be regarding hi-level audio speakers (in your home or car) and car colors --what is pleasing to one person may not be to another. But the person making the choice wants to be happy and satisfied. Soooo, I am interested in receiving more feedback to help me (& possibly help others) make choices based on others experiences (and why) which will help me decide what I get. OR on the other side of the coin, things that may not be worth it & why. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
mcli
_________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6mt

This is a timely question because I'll be picking up my vehicle this week. So I can give you a better answer in a few days.

However, when I was last at a local dealer I saw that they put a sticker on all cars claiming that they've treated the paint with some type of additive… probably OPTi code or something like that but not as good, and it carries a $400 charge. It's similar to the undercarriage treatment, vin etching on widows etc.

So, thanks for asking this question… And reminding me to send an email to my CA reminding them not to do any of that crap.

Last edited by mcli; 03-09-2014 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
guamanxuanz
Rep
Drives: bmw

I find no value in the add-ons, especially if you lease.
      03-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #9
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

The paint protectant is not worth the money they charge. I had it on my last car, mainly for the warranty. I got waterspots on the car after only a few months and they did remove the waterspots for free. They were supposed to reapply the protectant, but I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Now, I do not trust the dealer to wash my car and wash it myself. A bottle of paint protectant costs about $30-40 and you can use it over 40 times. Easy to apply and much cheaper than using the dealer.

Tire insurance is good for me because the roads here are very shitty. I already had one tire completely blown. Received free tow to the dealer and they replaced the true on the spot. I had to pay a $50 co-pay, but saved over $400. One more hole in a tire, a common occurrence here, and it pays for itself. I got the five year coverage, so I am confident that will be worth the money for me.

Tinting could go either way. BMW uses local tint shops, but in my experience they have always been excellent with no issues and a lifetime warranty. You can find your own place for cheaper, but then you have to worry about finding a good place and taking the time to get it done. The bonus is it can be cheaper, and you can get exactly what you want. I thought I found a great shop, very good reviews, but there are specks of dust underneath the tint in every window. Nothing that is very noticeable, but I never had that issue when I went through BMW.

Extended warranty definitely worth it if you plan to keep your car longer than the warranty period. My fiancée had an X5 that the engine blew at 34k miles, but she was one year outside of her warranty. $20k estimated to repair, so we just took the hit and sold the car as is. It definitely gives you piece of mind, and is worth it just in case something happens.

Extended maintenance is usually not worth it. Maintenance is easy to do yourself or at any number of smaller shops for much cheaper than BMW charges. You will probably not recover your money, but if you just don't want to be bothered with it, then it may be worth it to you.

Hope this helps you decide.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
The paint protectant is not worth the money they charge. I had it on my last car, mainly for the warranty. I got waterspots on the car after only a few months and they did remove the waterspots for free. They were supposed to reapply the protectant, but I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Now, I do not trust the dealer to wash my car and wash it myself. A bottle of paint protectant costs about $30-40 and you can use it over 40 times. Easy to apply and much cheaper than using the dealer.

Tire insurance is good for me because the roads here are very shitty. I already had one tire completely blown. Received free tow to the dealer and they replaced the true on the spot. I had to pay a $50 co-pay, but saved over $400. One more hole in a tire, a common occurrence here, and it pays for itself. I got the five year coverage, so I am confident that will be worth the money for me.

Tinting could go either way. BMW uses local tint shops, but in my experience they have always been excellent with no issues and a lifetime warranty. You can find your own place for cheaper, but then you have to worry about finding a good place and taking the time to get it done. The bonus is it can be cheaper, and you can get exactly what you want. I thought I found a great shop, very good reviews, but there are specks of dust underneath the tint in every window. Nothing that is very noticeable, but I never had that issue when I went through BMW.

Extended warranty definitely worth it if you plan to keep your car longer than the warranty period. My fiancée had an X5 that the engine blew at 34k miles, but she was one year outside of her warranty. $20k estimated to repair, so we just took the hit and sold the car as is. It definitely gives you piece of mind, and is worth it just in case something happens.

Extended maintenance is usually not worth it. Maintenance is easy to do yourself or at any number of smaller shops for much cheaper than BMW charges. You will probably not recover your money, but if you just don't want to be bothered with it, then it may be worth it to you.

Hope this helps you decide.
You make some very good points.
Anyone know if the prices the same at all of the dealers?
Is there any wiggle room?

Curious what the extended warrantee price was, & for what time period?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #11
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You make some very good points.
Anyone know if the prices the same at all of the dealers?
Is there any wiggle room?

Curious what the extended warrantee price was, & for what time period?
Thanks

Extended warranty should be about the same at all dealers, although you could probably negotiate a discount. Tire warranty may vary, but I do not know for sure. My prices:

Tire Protection Plan (5 years) - $1200
Extended Warranty Platinum - 84 months, 100k miles - $3750
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
This is a timely question because I'll be picking up my vehicle this week. So I can give you a better answer in a few days.

However, when I was last at a local dealer I saw that they put a sticker on all cars claiming that they've treated the paint with some type of additive… probably OPTi code or something like that but not as good, and it carries a $400 charge. It's similar to the undercarriage treatment, vin etching on widows etc.

So, thanks for asking this question… And reminding me to send an email to my CA reminding them not to do any of that crap.

Soooooo, how's your new ride?
What was your experience when you went in to get it?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Extended warranty should be about the same at all dealers, although you could probably negotiate a discount. Tire warranty may vary, but I do not know for sure. My prices:

Tire Protection Plan (5 years) - $1200
Extended Warranty Platinum - 84 months, 100k miles - $3750
What did the Tire Protection Plan (5yrs) include?
What did it exclude?

Were your wheels/rims also included?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli

When I was in the car biz we called that "rust & dust." Paint + fabric protection. Things that are pre-loaded like that and tint cost the dealer next to nothing yet are profit centers at any price. Example, when I was at MB, we pre-loaded everything w/huper optik tint that cost us about $90/car since we had a tinted on-site tinting every car we got but we marked it up to $1500. Anyone who bought it at full boat fattened the bottom line but we'd use it as a negotiating tool. "Well, why don't I discount the tint to $799 and lets call it a day?" ANYTHING you buy as a dealer add is almost PURE profit!

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
MiamiBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i convertible

May I assume that the tire warranty does not cover tire wear? Basically if normal driving wearing down the treads do you get a new set?

I can not imagine it would be included.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
mcli
_________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6mt

I forgot to come back and update my post. When I picked up my car, they "offered" these things:

Tire protection
Extended maintenance
Extended service
Tint
Clear bra

There were probably a couple other things that I can't recall, since I declined everything… They didn't give me the paperwork that it lists each item out. Overall the pick up process was pretty decent. They wanted to charge $700 for tint, and another 7 or $800 for a bikini cut clear bra that didn't cover the bumper or fenders. I declined both because another local BMW dealer will give me the same tint for half that price, and for slightly cheaper, will give me a bikini cut clear bra with bumper, fender, mirrors, and behind door handle.

I told the finance guy twice that the prices on tint/clear bra were too high and that I could get cheaper at another bmw dealer. Generally they'll work with you little bit and come down in price when you say that. However since I had really pushed an aggressive price on the car, maybe they just weren't willing to deal with me any further on these extras.

That part of the process lasted maybe 15 to 20 minutes, and I was out the door and on the road. Then, the next step of the process started: post purchase additions. Borla S type exhaust, led turn signals, carbon fiber roundels, m performance [black grills, pedals, interior trim, and floor mats].

I had ordered some clear reflectors for the front, but Bimian sent me the ones for non-m sport f30s… Which obviously don't fit. So, I've got to send those back and probably get body color painted ones.

I'm taking the car into the other BMW dealer tomorrow to get tint and clear bra. I've also got a technic supplied harness and LOC2 en route so that I can put my old sub in the trunk. Apart from getting some winter wheels and tires (I'm thinking VMR 708's with Michelin pilot alpin pa4's), I'm about finished.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Nothing is worth it IMHO. Anything you really want you can get at a later time for less. When I purchased my first car I was a complete noob and got completely reamed...

When I bought my last car I turned all the options down and the finance manager was noticeably angry/upset... Which I take it as a sign that I made the right choice
      03-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #18
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Nothing is worth it IMHO. Anything you really want you can get at a later time for less. When I purchased my first car I was a complete noob and got completely reamed...

When I bought my last car I turned all the options down and the finance manager was noticeably angry/upset... Which I take it as a sign that I made the right choice
Options is what makes the car, yea i love the core but if i didnt purchase , m sport ,19"s, tech package , speakers and few other things i would not look and like it as much as i do now, i see a lot of base 328s on the road and they just make the car look bad especially those base 16" or 17" wheels that come with it
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #19
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What did the Tire Protection Plan (5yrs) include?
What did it exclude?

Were your wheels/rims also included?
Basically if anything happens to your tire it gets fixed for free. So if your tire gets a hole in it for any reason it is replaced (nail, rock, gunshot, etc). Rims are also included. Cosmetic damage is not included, but if the rim itself is damaged, such as bent, they will also replace it with a new one.

Normal wear and tear is not included.

This has been worth it for me in the past. I even had a rim damaged when a truck in front of me dropped a large rock at night and my tire ran over it before I could move. Fixed with no issue.

Deductible is $50.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
When I was in the car biz we called that "rust & dust." Paint + fabric protection. Things that are pre-loaded like that and tint cost the dealer next to nothing yet are profit centers at any price. Example, when I was at MB, we pre-loaded everything w/huper optik tint that cost us about $90/car since we had a tinted on-site tinting every car we got but we marked it up to $1500. Anyone who bought it at full boat fattened the bottom line but we'd use it as a negotiating tool. "Well, why don't I discount the tint to $799 and lets call it a day?" ANYTHING you buy as a dealer add is almost PURE profit!
$1500 for tint???!!! I've never paid more than $200 to have my windows tinted
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #21
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skw
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
$1500 for tint???!!! I've never paid more than $200 to have my windows tinted
Few people actually paid the $1500. Most "negotiated" it down to $1000 or less but as it cost less than $100 to have installed in the 1st place, anything was profit. Also, extended warranties for all but M/AMG/S/etc cars cost the dealer <$500 so anything more is profit and EVERYTHING offered in finance is negotiable. If the finance manager doesn't sell you anything and they haven't written you at at LEAST a point over buy rate or 50 basis points on a lease, they either get a flat or a goose egg and since they get paid on their average for the month, they want to sell SOMETHING on every deal, even if its a buck over cost. This goes for tint/clear bra, paint & fabric sealer, maint contract, extended warranty, tire protection, key replacement, gap insurance etc. EVERY SINGLE ITEM THEY TRY TO SELL YOU CAN BE NEGOTIATED. PERIOD.

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post

Options is what makes the car, yea i love the core but if i didnt purchase , m sport ,19"s, tech package , speakers and few other things i would not look and like it as much as i do now, i see a lot of base 328s on the road and they just make the car look bad especially those base 16" or 17" wheels that come with it
I'm talking about the options the finance manager tries to sell you like paint protection and window etching. Those are not worth it

The actual options like m sport, premium, etc are worth it depending on what you like