THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Tire advice needed

03-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Tire advice needed

Ordered a 228 MSport, which of course comes with summer hi performance tires. Now I understand that for you folks who live up north its a no brainer that you need a second set of wheels with snow tires. But here in North Carolina our winters normally are not severe enough to justify snow tires. We did get 9 inches of snow a couple of weeks ago but it was 68 deg F two days later. I'm lucky enough to have enough vacation that on ice or snow days I can stay home. But it does get WAY below 42 Deg F quite a number of days here. So do I try to make do with the standard Summer Hi Perf tires ? Or immediately switch to All Seasons ???
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Ordered a 228 MSport, which of course comes with summer hi performance tires. Now I understand that for you folks who live up north its a no brainer that you need a second set of wheels with snow tires. But here in North Carolina our winters normally are not severe enough to justify snow tires. We did get 9 inches of snow a couple of weeks ago but it was 68 deg F two days later. I'm lucky enough to have enough vacation that on ice or snow days I can stay home. But it does get WAY below 42 Deg F quite a number of days here. So do I try to make do with the standard Summer Hi Perf tires ? Or immediately switch to All Seasons ???
Short answer is.....there's not really a short answer. Your OEM tires will be very hard and offer less than optimal traction in colder days/nights - and little to no decent traction in the snow as you already understand. In dry or wet "cold"' I find summer tires a pain in the butt. Where I am, the summer tires come off in early October, not back on again till mid-late April. Sucks but I drive aggressively (but safely of course) and don't like being in a constant state of worry and hate having to drive like a nanny if it's nothing more than just cold outside. If you're not going to need (i.e. push the limits) of summers in the summer on an everyday basis and are lucky enough to be able to get away with all-seasons because of where you live, I'd go for an "ultra high performance" all season tire from somewhere reputable like Tire Rack. And it's your lucky day as far as decisions go 'cause there's only 1 such tire at the Rack that fits and meets this criteria: Michelin Pilot A/S 3 @ $724.00 per set.

These aren't run flats but that's a good thing. Get a tire inflation kit for the trunk if you're worried about that but you've got roadside assist with the car anyways. I bet you'd be ecstatic with these tires. Take a look, read the reviews, etc. And you can either keep the old ones for resale later or off them on the forum to someone in Hawaii (or did they get snow this year too lol) looking for summers.
      03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Not sure if you are leasing or buying, but either way you will have to get new rubber eventually. That said, why don't you keep the summers for the summer and get a good high performance winter setup? Not ideal to keep taking tires on and off rims, and although I doubt you have much personal experience some of the better winter tires out there actually ride really well. Yes you will have two sets of rims and tires, BUT you won't get even close to retail if you try and sell the original ones (even if brand new) and they will both last twice as long. Summer you'll have an ideal setup, winter you'll be in pretty good shape and still enjoy the car without having to worry. You can get into a winter package from Tire Rack for a little over $1K with nice looking rims that even accept BMW center caps. Just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0