F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 328d - ISSUES
ARMA SPEED

03-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Cogsman
Bimmer Disciple
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d xDrive

2014 328d - ISSUES

Hi Everyone.

I returned my 2011 328i xDrive M-sport and picked up a 2014 328d xDrive Modern Line on January 17 from Endras BMW in Ajax. Since then:

-Engine warning light pointing to faulty coolant sensor
-Recall for drainage grommet
-Engine warning light due to battery fault
-Jarring acceleration - when I VERY CONSERVATIVELY accelerate from a stop, the engine revs a bit, the car starts moving slowly, and then suddenly "catches" and jolts as it accelerates - I am not launching myself off the line. It is a very gradual acceleration. It gets worse when I do try launching. They've looked at it and told me it operates "to specification" and they reset the transmission.

And today, I am going back for:

-Recall on rear axle - to determine if the parts need to be replaced (could this be the jarring I was talking about? You know, the one where they said it was operating to specification?)
-Headlight aiming malfunction
-Drop in mileage from 6.4 l/100km to 7.2 l/100km - pretty sure that's the wrong direction!
-Error on dashboard "Remote control - start not possible" or some such nonsense

So in short, the car will have been in 4 times in 45 days and the issues keep coming. I can tell you that:

-I did not purchase a BMW to have it in the shop every 2 weeks
-I did not purchase a diesel to receive a loaner which guzzles more gas and therefore costs me more money to operate while they are fixing their own quality issues
-I did not spend the money for a diesel to drive a 320i as a loaner either

And to top it all off, the last loaner they gave me came with the threat that if I didn't bring it back with the same amount of gas that I received it with, they would charge me 20 cents per extra km (not even sure what that means). So beware people, apparently BMW is now owned by Hertz! Anyway...

You can imagine how disappointed I am. This is my 3rd BMW. My 2007 335i had no problems, not even the HPFP issue. My 2011 328i xDrive M-sport had zero issues. And now this. WTF? I am close to abandoning the brand if they don't do the right thing.

What the right thing is... that's harder to determine. Keep the car and fix it until it's FIXED? Give me a new one? Compensate me for my trouble?

I am going to speak to a manager at Endras BMW today, and I am going to let them know of these frustrations, and my overall dissatisfaction towards my purchase. I also feel that Endras has been making more excuses than actually taking my issues seriously. Every time I go in it's as if it's the first time they've seen me. Very uncool.

I know that Ontario has no lemon laws as such, but do I have a recourse? Can anyone advise that my have experience in these matters?

Also, I will let everyone know what Endras BMW does (or does not do) to help me.

For now: AVOID THE 328D LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Sounds like you have your fair share of issues with the vehicle. The lemon law in the US is if you have the same issue that cannot be fixed three or more times - BMW will do a 'substitution of collateral' and essentially swap your vehicle out for another one that hopefully doesn't have any issues...

However, in your case, it sounds like you do have a vehicle that has some issues (that can hopefully be worked out correctly the first time) but your bigger issue is your BMW Center. Mine is great and very accommodating and have been since they initially gave me crap and I spoke to the Service Manger with great annoyance. Perhaps you should give that a try? They shouldn't charge you for a loaner and if you have had issues with your car that have caused you gas money and not having the car for a month - the center (or BMW through the center) should be making your first payment (a payment).
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

I'm at about 1200 miles with my "d" and no problems so far.I haven't calculated mileage yet because doing so during a diesel's break-in period doesn't make much sense.Sounds like you might have gotten the one bad apple in the barrel.I'll wager that Ontario and/or Canada has lemon laws,as do most US states.Sounds like you might want to explore that option (assuming it's open to you).
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

Sorry to hear. No doubt you got a lemon car...
7.2 l/100 km is crazy! Our 11 year old Volvo V40 2.0 T gets that mileage

My 320d/328d is at 23700 miles without a single problem and can't really complain about the fuel cons. as it's about 4-5 l/100 km (4.7 avg)
      03-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Apparently there is no Canadian Lemon Law but there is this option and I'd sure as heck pursue it....

Although several provinces have attempted to enact lemon laws, there are currently no federal or provincial lemon laws in Canada. Instead, consumers can submit disputes to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). This is a binding dispute resolution program, set up in 1994, that allows consumers who buy cars in Canada to resolve problems with car manufacturers and dealers.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6193101_ca...emon-law_.html
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
Apparently there is no Canadian Lemon Law but there is this option and I'd sure as heck pursue it....

Although several provinces have attempted to enact lemon laws, there are currently no federal or provincial lemon laws in Canada. Instead, consumers can submit disputes to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). This is a binding dispute resolution program, set up in 1994, that allows consumers who buy cars in Canada to resolve problems with car manufacturers and dealers.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6193101_ca...emon-law_.html
I believe I've read that BMW Canada does not participate in CAMVAP. It is not mandatory for manufacturers (not sure if any others do not participate as well).

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
glen24
Rep
Drives: 328d

I have a 2014 328d xdrive. My problem is with the Diesel Particle Filter. Three engine check lights from November 1, 2013 to January 2014. After the last repaired, it seems to be okay. Does anyone have a problem with the washer fluid over spraying the front windshield. Fluid seems to go on the roof, both front windows, both rear windows and rear windshield.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
bosjt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d X-Drive

1,700 miles on my 2014 328d and no issues. I really like it inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

2300 miles on our 328d F31. Had 2 check engine lights very early (<500 miles). Was a bad NOx sensor. Are you sure the CEL above was the diesel particulate filter? A bunch of 328d's have had a CEL due to NOx sensors (see dedicated thread in the diesel section). Our NOx sensor was replaced, no issues since then. Great car, we average about 45 mpg highway on our AWD F31.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fille View Post
Sorry to hear. No doubt you got a lemon car...
7.2 l/100 km is crazy! Our 11 year old Volvo V40 2.0 T gets that mileage

My 320d/328d is at 23700 miles without a single problem and can't really complain about the fuel cons. as it's about 4-5 l/100 km (4.7 avg)
Wow, a 320/8d 6MT with PPPK . Whaaaaahhhh... why the hell can't we get the PPPK here?!?

Fille--you can't possibly be averaging 53.7 U.S. mpg?--What sort of mpgs do you have in Sweden?
      03-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
Wow, a 320/8d 6MT with PPPK . Whaaaaahhhh... why the hell can't we get the PPPK here?!?

Fille--you can't possibly be averaging 53.7 U.S. mpg?--What sort of mpgs do you have in Sweden?
Yep it's US MPG
But I NEVER drive it in the larger cities only small town traffic about 10-15 % and the rest is highway mostly at around 90 km/h.

One time during my daily 37 mile commute I got a whopping 67 US MPG. Havn't been able to get it that low ever since but I usually get around 60 nowadays.

Oh and yes the displayed fuel cons. is pretty much bang on or max 2 % above the real value measured at the pump.
      03-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsman View Post
Hi Everyone.

I returned my 2011 328i xDrive M-sport and picked up a 2014 328d xDrive Modern Line on January 17 from Endras BMW in Ajax. Since then:

-Engine warning light pointing to faulty coolant sensor
-Recall for drainage grommet
-Engine warning light due to battery fault
-Jarring acceleration - when I VERY CONSERVATIVELY accelerate from a stop, the engine revs a bit, the car starts moving slowly, and then suddenly "catches" and jolts as it accelerates - I am not launching myself off the line. It is a very gradual acceleration. It gets worse when I do try launching. They've looked at it and told me it operates "to specification" and they reset the transmission.

And today, I am going back for:

-Recall on rear axle - to determine if the parts need to be replaced (could this be the jarring I was talking about? You know, the one where they said it was operating to specification?)
-Headlight aiming malfunction
-Drop in mileage from 6.4 l/100km to 7.2 l/100km - pretty sure that's the wrong direction!
-Error on dashboard "Remote control - start not possible" or some such nonsense

So in short, the car will have been in 4 times in 45 days and the issues keep coming. I can tell you that:

-I did not purchase a BMW to have it in the shop every 2 weeks
-I did not purchase a diesel to receive a loaner which guzzles more gas and therefore costs me more money to operate while they are fixing their own quality issues
-I did not spend the money for a diesel to drive a 320i as a loaner either
I have the same car (328d F31) and have only had a bad parking sensor. Took a while for the dealer to even be able to access the software in the car as I am told the F31 "d' has more recent software that requires dealers to update there own software... or something like that.

I get 5.8 or 6.2 on highway trips but 7.2-7.8 in town. I would get 8.4 with my mini clubman so I figure its pretty good for a much larger AWD car. Winter tires will also drag down the mpg.

- The loaner issues have nothing to do with the car. Thats just your crappy dealer.
- The engine warning light for battery fault : are you talking about the battery drainage message? Because that has nothing to do with the engine. I'm guessing it was butt cold for a few days in a row and your battery was low.
- Error on dashboard "Remote control - start not possible" or some such nonsense : thats just the car not "seeing" the remote key. I get this every now and then when I exit the car while its running or something like that. Audi and mercs to this as well...

The only real issue I see is the acceleration. Definitely sounds like a problem. I haven't heard of a rear axle real though.

But seriously, your dealer sounds horrible. That seems to be the source of the problem. Sure cars can have problems, but a crappy dealer won't deal with it properly.

Whats the headlight aiming problem? You have adaptive headlights?
      02-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX Msport Estoril Blue

You should feel better after you hear my story. Also bought my brand new 2014 328 xdrive from Endras BMW. Sales guys were awesome. Service not so much... Drove off the lot after taking delivery to have the CEL come on 80km into my trip home... Brought it back the next day and they gave me an enterprise loaner... Dodge Avenger that smelled like mold and smoke... I was so upset. This was last summer... Fast forward to now and the CEL light is on again with a strange engine whine noise while accelerating at any temperature.... Anyone else notice this, and also drop in fuel mileage? They originally replaced my diesel emissions particulate filter... Maybe needs a new NOx sensor and software update.... Doesn't explain why I occasionally smell diesel fumes inside the car... My friends X5d never had that problem....

Anyways I'm looking for a new dealer to get serviced from because Ajax is too far from me to waste time fighting with the dealer to fix the problem right the first time.

Also did anyone noticed the brakes just suck? Squeeking all the time when cold and first start up the vehicle?! Never had a BMW with squeeky brakes...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Funny old post. I wonder if the OP realized that the jarring was the TQ converter locking up and the extreme cold was responsible for his drop in MPG's
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #15
laatsaab
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d Wagon

Anyone else notice, in their F31, that it bottoms out (jarring) every time you hit a bump/pothole?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #16
Cogsman
Bimmer Disciple
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d xDrive

So a quick update. Since my original post, I had a fuel injector go on me ($1500 repair) and had to get my entire DEF system essentially replaced; heated DEF line, injector tubes, and DEF pump ($1500). That $3000 plus the $4000 premium for this vehicle, by my calc over the last 4 years, has about broken me even with the gas savings that I have admittedly enjoyed. My mileage eventually got down to 5.9 l/100km and now is hovering around 6.2 to 6.4 as I am now driving exclusively in Sport mode. No more BS EcoPro for me.

I decided to keep the vehicle but am going to buy a Bentley Service Manual and do as many future repairs and maintenance as I can do myself. In the years since my original post, I taught myself a few things.

Update on Endras: I will never do business with them again. Service department was and is terrible. One classic example: went in for an oil change, told them specifically do not replace DEF fluid. No DEF fluid on work order, but they charged my almost $400 for DEF service when I got back and told me that's a standard thing they do with every oil change. They eventually took the charge off after 2 hours of arguing and escalating to 2 different people.

Everybody is your friend as long as you intend to buy a new vehicle. When I told them I was going to keep this one, they told me that was a stupid thing to do, and tried to solve my "problem" by putting me in a 4 series and tried to convince me that I was getting a deal. So basically, we can help you solve your lemon problem by selling you a new more expensive vehicle. WHATEVER!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #17
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

My 2014 328d f31 just finished 76000 miles. So far I have had transfer case, front side view mirror cameras issues and that front side view camera issue is back again on the left side this time which I will get replaced under CPO warranty.
But it has been a loyal workhorse for us.
Sorry to hear about all the issues you have add but It seems that the dealership has been a bit convoluted as well.
There is a free online manual available as well if you like.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #18
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by laatsaab View Post
Anyone else notice, in their F31, that it bottoms out (jarring) every time you hit a bump/pothole?
I have had that a couple of times too. Been going slow on some known locations and that helps with that jarring noise. I have the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0