F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M-Sport line (328-D xdrive) & Dynamic Handling Package
GetBMWParts

03-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

M-Sport line (328-D xdrive) & Dynamic Handling Package

Currently looking to order 2014 328d xDrive. VERRRRRRRRY Excited about upgrading from my current 330i to this one --getting both Diesel & xDrive!

In doing my homework for the BMW on-line build-out, I was trying to understand the differences between the Lines and the various Packages. Specifically, the M Sport Line (ZMM) coupled with the Dynamic Handling Package.

An Edmunds article I read reviewing the 2014 3-Series said,
"The Dynamic Handling package bundles the sportier suspension tuning from the M Sport line with variable-ratio steering." Other articles/reviews (different sources) also all seem to be promoting/encouraging upgrading the suspension for better handling.

In looking at the Pricing Guide MY 2014, the PG 2014 indicates that 704 (M sport suspension) is not available in the xDrive models (328 xDrive, 328d xDrive, or 335 xDrive). However, if you add the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH) you get Adaptive M Suspension (2VF) [which is not mentioned anywhere else in the specs] + Variable sport steering (2VL). The spec sheet in the PG MY 2014 also notes that adding the ZDH with the M Sport line (ZMM), that the M sport suspension (704) from the ZMM is deleted.

Does this translate to mean that, by adding the DHP (ZDH), I am then able to get the better, more responsive suspension that was NOT available to the xDrive versions. And in doing so, that this ("adaptive") suspension which will now be available to me is better than the Msport suspension (704) that is listed within the M Sport (ZMM) line, even though sport suspension was not available to the xdrives?

Hope that doesn't sound too convoluted.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
I am having the issue of whether or not to add the DHP to my build and with that package addition to REAR WHEEL DRIVE BMWs it lowers the vehicle by 10mm and betters the suspension. That's the main diff between the DHP in RWD as opposed to xDrive.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Ok. I hear your indecision.
One of the draw backs you decribe is that it does lower the vehicle (which is a concern in snow country), in to that comment, we have a similar issue with the sibling Mini Cooper Clubman we own, as it does very poorly with any snow buildup due to its low ground clearance.
Then I take it that my analysis of the DHP is correct. That being said, why the "hocus Pocus? Is there more to it?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
Ok. I hear your indecision.
One of the draw backs you decribe is that it does lower the vehicle (which is a concern in snow country), in to that comment, we have a similar issue with the sibling Mini Cooper Clubman we own, as it does very poorly with any snow buildup due to its low ground clearance.
Then I take it that my analysis of the DHP is correct. That being said, why the "hocus Pocus? Is there more to it?
I have a RWD Sport Line and we have had a very tough winter (2nd most snow in recorded history) and ground clearance has not been an issue. It's only something like .4". With winter tires the 704 suspension or DHP should not be a problem and if it is, you should either stay at home or drive a 4 x 4 SUV.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
Currently looking to order 2014 328d xDrive. VERRRRRRRRY Excited about upgrading from my current 330i to this one --getting both Diesel & xDrive!

In doing my homework for the BMW on-line build-out, I was trying to understand the differences between the Lines and the various Packages. Specifically, the M Sport Line (ZMM) coupled with the Dynamic Handling Package.

An Edmunds article I read reviewing the 2014 3-Series said,
"The Dynamic Handling package bundles the sportier suspension tuning from the M Sport line with variable-ratio steering." Other articles/reviews (different sources) also all seem to be promoting/encouraging upgrading the suspension for better handling.

In looking at the Pricing Guide MY 2014, the PG 2014 indicates that 704 (M sport suspension) is not available in the xDrive models (328 xDrive, 328d xDrive, or 335 xDrive). However, if you add the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH) you get Adaptive M Suspension (2VF) [which is not mentioned anywhere else in the specs] + Variable sport steering (2VL). The spec sheet in the PG MY 2014 also notes that adding the ZDH with the M Sport line (ZMM), that the M sport suspension (704) from the ZMM is deleted.

Does this translate to mean that, by adding the DHP (ZDH), I am then able to get the better, more responsive suspension that was NOT available to the xDrive versions. And in doing so, that this ("adaptive") suspension which will now be available to me is better than the Msport suspension (704) that is listed within the M Sport (ZMM) line, even though sport suspension was not available to the xdrives?

Hope that doesn't sound too convoluted.
Thanks in advance
To answer your question, yes, the DHP is a requirement on xDrive models to get a more sporty suspension. It will not be lowered, but it will give improved handling and driving dynamics. The Adaptive M suspension isn't necessarily "better" than the 704, but different.
Appreciate 0