BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

11-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
mickey knox
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jeep

BMW & Brembo

Italian auto supplier Brembo has announced today that it had started supplying braking systems and brake discs to BMW. Over the past quarter some of BMW’s high-performance models swapped to a new set of six-piston caliper brakes manufactured by Brembo and more models are expected to follow suit within the next twelve months.
From Motor Authority:

"Starting next year BMW will also start offering special Brembo braking kits as an optional accessory in its factory performance parts range.

Brembo is already one of the most widely recognized brands in braking technology, equipping affordable performance vehicles such as the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Evo, right up to the supercar arena with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche. The high-performance brakes are usually distinguished by its brightly painted calipers, often in red or gold, but the BMW units are designed to remain subtle, reports Automotive News Europe.

Thanks to the deal Brembo’s net profit rose 86.8% to $18.13 million in the third quarter. "

What effect do you think that will have on future M cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Awesome. That would be great to see M cars with some "aftermarket" brakes from the factory, if you can call them that.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I bet that option would be chosen as much as the 19in wheels.
      11-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Now might be a good time to buy that stock.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

That's great! Also good that BMW plans to offer these as aftermarket option thru their "Performance Parts"...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey knox View Post
Italian auto supplier Brembo has announced today that it had started supplying braking systems and brake discs to BMW. Over the past quarter some of BMW’s high-performance models swapped to a new set of six-piston caliper brakes manufactured by Brembo and more models are expected to follow suit within the next twelve months.
From Motor Authority:

"Starting next year BMW will also start offering special Brembo braking kits as an optional accessory in its factory performance parts range.

Brembo is already one of the most widely recognized brands in braking technology, equipping affordable performance vehicles such as the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Evo, right up to the supercar arena with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche. The high-performance brakes are usually distinguished by its brightly painted calipers, often in red or gold, but the BMW units are designed to remain subtle, reports Automotive News Europe.

Thanks to the deal Brembo’s net profit rose 86.8% to $18.13 million in the third quarter. "

That's great. Thanks.

I've heard that BMW is going to get very aggressive with their performance parts offerings in the near furture. I don't mean to be OT, but my dealer is adamant that there will be (non-adjustable) coilovers -with a drop- and lighter lower control arms for the 335cxi. Also, a variety of other performance goodies, brakes wheels etc...

I know I'll be buying coilovers for the 335cxi and Brembos for the M!

Last edited by devo; 11-14-2007 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That's great! Also good that BMW plans to offer these as aftermarket option thru their "Performance Parts"...

Best regards, south
Wonder if they will run the same for purchase and install as the factory option would be?
Also, I wonder if this option will be available on the 2nd year M3.
      11-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey knox View Post
From Motor Authority:

I wanted to use them since I know them very well. This is a great new.
Probably at BMW they are reading our (your....) Forum??
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
There's an article in the current Roundel about BMW's new aftermarket performance parts catalog. Lots of Z and 3 series parts...alcantara, short shifter, wheels, sways, coilovers, intake and exhaust systems, even cams...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Wonder if they will run the same for purchase and install as the factory option would be?
Also, I wonder if this option will be available on the 2nd year M3.
My guess is that's mutually exclusive. Either it's standard (like on 135) or it's not standard but available aftermarket as performance part (hopefully M3).
Don't believe it comes as a factory option for second year M3, that would suggest the standard brakes aren't sufficient...

Best regards, south

11-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

About time to see M cars with big ass red calipers

BMW's brake system is among the best for pedal feel, but lacks stamina for sustained abuse on track. Collaboration with Brembo should be icing on the cake .
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

This is great news. It would be nice to have breaks where changing the brake pads wasn't such a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

things just keep getting better.....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

watch... the brembo's will be on the "ZCP" E92 M3 in the future...

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

exciting stuff
      11-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
I bet that option would be chosen as much as the 19in wheels.
Very doubtful IMO. Wheels are about the most common "upgrade" to a car. It is so much about looks and personalization and often "bling" as well. Brakes are for the serious and for those with deep pockets as well. Serious poseurs or serious drivers and there are not all that many of these folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
What part of,
Quote:
The high-performance brakes are usually distinguished by its brightly painted calipers, often in red or gold, but the BMW units are designed to remain subtle, reports Automotive News Europe
did you miss?

BMW does not want to look at all to be copying the other German maker known for the big bright red calipers (an now yellow as well). You'll likely see silver, grey, black, somthing along those lines. Gloss black would look pretty cool IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #17
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

CF calipers
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:19 AM   #18
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post

BMW's brake system is among the best for pedal feel, but lacks stamina for sustained abuse on track. Collaboration with Brembo should be icing on the cake .
Brakes need cooling and high temperature pads to survive real track abuse. Hopefully the M3's brakes with a good track pad should work fine.

The 1-series 135i will have 6 PISTON BREMBOS!! Yep, potentially better brakes than the M3
      11-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Brakes need cooling and high temperature pads to survive real track abuse. Hopefully the M3's brakes with a good track pad should work fine.

The 1-series 135i will have 6 PISTON BREMBOS!! Yep, potentially better brakes than the M3
A bit contradictory.

The M3 is clearly a faster and higher top speed vehicle than the 135i (weighs more as well). This REQUIRES more braking. BMW must and did design the stock brakes on the M3 for more cooling and more brake capacity than the 135i. Whether it actually out brakes the times/distances the 135i will achieve is mostly a separate question. Piston count is a minor factor in overall brake quality/performance. Rotor size and mass, rotor design (floating to prevent warping), pad material and cooling are all more important than piston count!

As we know Brembo does make some rather cheap versions of its brakes, the OEM speced systems on some of the Asian imports are clearly not the same Brembos private (or Brembo branded) labeled to other German and Italian OEMs. In this way BMW may be as much concerned about branding opposed to genuine performance from the systems. BMW may be simply keeping up with the Joneses.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
mickey knox
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
watch... the brembo's will be on the "ZCP" E92 M3 in the future...
That is what I am hoping. Brembos, more direct steering and alcantara interior, plus a few more goodies, maybe even a slight power boost. The concept car looked like a ZCP with the rims and alcantara Who knows, but it could spell the perfect car imho. I am going to wait on the sidelines and see what happens over the next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #21
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
BMW does not want to look at all to be copying the other German maker known for the big bright red calipers (an now yellow as well). You'll likely see silver, grey, black, somthing along those lines. Gloss black would look pretty cool IMO.
The big red calipers is as iconic to Brembo as a 911 is to Porsche... it will be quite ironic if BMW chooses to be different so that they can "remain subtle".
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
A bit contradictory.

The M3 is clearly a faster and higher top speed vehicle than the 135i (weighs more as well). This REQUIRES more braking. BMW must and did design the stock brakes on the M3 for more cooling and more brake capacity than the 135i. Whether it actually out brakes the times/distances the 135i will achieve is mostly a separate question. Piston count is a minor factor in overall brake quality/performance. Rotor size and mass, rotor design (floating to prevent warping), pad material and cooling are all more important than piston count!

As we know Brembo does make some rather cheap versions of its brakes, the OEM speced systems on some of the Asian imports are clearly not the same Brembos private (or Brembo branded) labeled to other German and Italian OEMs. In this way BMW may be as much concerned about branding opposed to genuine performance from the systems. BMW may be simply keeping up with the Joneses.

Good point, and it lends credence to my position on the Brembos on my '04 G35. My 330i has much better brake feel.
Appreciate 0