M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

03-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Nissan GT-R powertrain in an upcoming Infiniti Sedan?

Just saw this thread.

This might end up being a better comparison to the M5 than the GT-R.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...4#post15544384
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Posted this twice. Here and on the other thread.

I think of this car as a Japanese Cadillac CTS-V. Sure it will be fast, sure it will handle well, sure it might have a few luxury appointments, sure it might have some of the latest tech, aside from all that though, I think it will be on the same level as the CTS-V and maybe with similar pricing. The last generation CTS-V was already making nearly the same horsepower and way more torque, had some nice luxury aspects, was priced $30-$40k less than an M5, and did that car sell like hotcakes? Nope.

I think the biggest single factor in a possible future 4-Door GTR-ish car will be the market price that Infiniti demands for it. If they demand over $100k for it, then who would be willing to pay that for an Infiniti. Kind of the same thing happened with the Lexus LFA. $400k for an incredible sports car, but your still only driving a Lexus. Some people care about that, others don't.

Me personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in an Infiniti, even if it came with performance that equaled or bettered the F10 M5, but came with 3/4's the luxury, utility, comfort, convenience, and technology that the F10 M5 has. Plus I don't care for AWD on a Sports Sedan. If I wanted that, I'd go buy an Audi. If a future 4-Door AWD GTR is in fact made, I have a feeling that like the current 2-Door GTR it will have no feeling. That is to say it will still feel like driving a robot, there will not be enough sensation, feedback, and puristic driving pleasure as I get with my F10 M5. For someone who only cares about speed, sure go buy the new Infiniti GTR, have at it I say.

I do like the fact that JDM companies are trying to break into new markets though. It's just that a lot of the little things that the Germans have been perfecting for year and years will not be present in any high performance JDM Sports Sedan. In the end, I love the fact that Nissan and Infiniti are playing with this idea. It only inspires competition and from a consumers point of view competition is a very good thing.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Sorry RPiM5, I'll have to disagree with you on this one, but we can still be cordial right ?

[the rest of what I say is to the rest of the forum]

I came from a two Infiniti house (2006 M45 and 2008 QX56) when I went to the M5. Wife still has the QX. At the time I was cross shopping the GT-R (not a unique thing and yes please just post a link to the previous arguments about how the two are not comparable vehicles for comparison...but again many people where...).

I passed on the GT-R because the accouterments were not what I desired. If the Infiniti offering discussed in this referenced story had been around, I probably would have stayed and went for that option.

Why would I have stayed wiith the Infiniti...?

I still feel I was much more comfortable/capable with the infotainment/navigation system in the M45 and I liked the evolution of where that system was going.

But above all, the service and treatment from Infiniti (at least in my local market) is far superior. Honestly, separating myself from the service staff that had taken care of me in my local market and risking it with the BMW dealer was a bigger handle.

Now you can say that is not cross shopping product, but excellent service with (and after) product is a valuable thing.

But instead I have thoroughly enjoyed my daily driver M5 for the 24k miles I have already placed upon it. And since I have spent as minimal time with the dealer as possible/required, my gap in service quality has been compartmentalized.

Bring on the haters!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Sorry RPiM5, I'll have to disagree with you on this one, but we can still be cordial right ?

I came from a two Infiniti house (2006 M45 and 2008 QX56) when I went to the M5. Wife still has the QX. At the time I was cross shopping the GT-R (not a unique thing and yes please just post a link to the previous arguments about how the two are not comparable vehicles for comparison...but again many people where...).

I passed on the GT-R because the accouterments were not what I desired. If the Infiniti offering discussed in this referenced story had been around, I probably would have stayed and went for that option.

I still feel I was much more comfortable/capable with the infotainment/navigation system in the M45 and I liked the evolution of where that system was going.

But above all, the service and treatment from Infiniti (at least in my local market) is far superior. Honestly, separating myself from the service staff that had taken care of me in my local market and risking it with the BMW dealer was a bigger handle.

Now you can say that is not cross shopping product, but excellent service with (and after) product is a valuable thing.

But instead I have thoroughly enjoyed my daily driver M5 for the 24k miles I have already placed upon it. And since I have spent as minimal time with the dealer as possible/required, my gap in service quality has been compartmentalized.

Bring on the haters!
There should be no hating! I like your POV.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

I think of this car as a Japanese Cadillac CTS-V. Sure it will be fast, sure it will handle well, sure it might have a few luxury appointments, sure it might have some of the latest tech, aside from all that though, I think it will be on the same level as the CTS-V and maybe with similar pricing. The last generation CTS-V was already making nearly the same horsepower and way more torque, had some nice luxury aspects, was priced $30-$40k less than an M5, and did that car sell like hotcakes? Nope.

I think the biggest single factor in a possible future 4-Door GTR-ish car will be the market price that Infiniti demands for it. If they demand over $100k for it, then who would be willing to pay that for an Infiniti. Kind of the same thing happened with the Lexus LFA. $400k for an incredible sports car, but your still only driving a Lexus. Some people care about that, others don't.

Me personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in an Infiniti, even if it came with performance that equaled or bettered the F10 M5, but came with 3/4's the luxury, utility, comfort, convenience, and technology that the F10 M5 has. Plus I don't care for AWD on a Sports Sedan. If I wanted that, I'd go buy an Audi. If a future 4-Door AWD GTR is in fact made, I have a feeling that like the current 2-Door GTR it will have no feeling. That is to say it will still feel like driving a robot, there will not be enough sensation, feedback, and puristic driving pleasure as I get with my F10 M5. For someone who only cares about speed, sure go buy the new Infiniti GTR, have at it I say.

I do like the fact that JDM companies are trying to break into new markets though. It's just that a lot of the little things that the Germans have been perfecting for year and years will not be present in any high performance JDM Sports Sedan. In the end, I love the fact that Nissan and Infiniti are playing with this idea. It only inspires competition and from a consumers point of view competition is a very good thing.
Be more open minded. We are better than this...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
TwinTuning
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

+1 I agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
This car is a Q50 with a GTR power train which means it will be an M3 competitor not an M5 competitor.

The 5 series equivalent is the the Q70 in Infiniti terminology. There has been no talk of a Q70 eau rouge yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post

Bring on the haters!
My brother had that Old Body QX56 and it was a BIG piece of S..... It had so many problems and drove like a Big Semi !! All of the Mississippi Built Nissan's and Infiniti's have lots of quality problems. Would never consider any Nissan or Infiniti that does not have a VIN starting with a "J". The new QX80 that replaced the QX56 is built in Japan. As far as the Infiniti NAV, the old pre 2013 is very average, but the new double screen set up in the new Q50 is pretty good !! If they came out with an AWD Q50 with the GTR motor, that would be a blast, but would probably never have the road feel of the new M3!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Every automaker has their niche.

M, AMG, GTR, Infiniti Q.. each has their own niche..

Then every driver has their own priorities.. for example someone earlier posted that service quality is a deciding factor on what car they choose. While I personally don't even think about that when deciding what car I choose.

There will always be a buyer for their product. I don't see M and or AMG owners switching over to Infiniti anytime soon.

I hope they all put out the best product they can. It will only make the future cars we are interested in better and better.

Automakers in general are stepping it up in terms of quality. Now a days a Jeep has a rather nice interior. Time to see everyone step up in terms of gear boxes and motors.
      03-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Only time will tell of the quality built, and performance of this car.
Appreciate 0