F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Roof Rails + Roof Box Noise vs Ski/Snowboard Mount
GetBMWParts

03-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
syuan92
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Roof Rails + Roof Box Noise vs Ski/Snowboard Mount

I have a 2013 BMW AH3 and I just installed OEM Roof Rails so that I could mount the Roof Box 320 that came with my X1 Powder Ride and I took it on a 100 mile drive on the highway. Up to 70 mph, the sound wasn't very noticeable with some soft music playing in the car. However, once I went up to 80-100 mph range, the sound was really obnoxious. Does anyone have any experience with this situation and know of any modifications for my set-up to reduce some of the wind noise? I'm used to cruising on the highway at 80+ mph and long drives are going to be less comfortable if I have to blast music to offset the loud wind noise.

On the other hand, does anybody have experience with the OEM BMW ski/snowboard rack and know if it is quiet at high speeds? Or does anybody have any suggestions for aftermarket ski/snowboard mounts that work well and don't produce a large amount of wind noise at high speeds?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Back in the 90s I had a (rare "Design 800") Thule rack that would whistle like a banshee when I put the ski attachment on in the winter. My solution was to change the attachment's angle of attack slightly.
I read your post like you only have the crossbars and have yet to install the roof box... I'd wait to see what it's like with the whole setup in place before panicking.
      03-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by syuan92 View Post
I have a 2013 BMW AH3 and I just installed OEM Roof Rails so that I could mount the Roof Box 320 that came with my X1 Powder Ride and I took it on a 100 mile drive on the highway. Up to 70 mph, the sound wasn't very noticeable with some soft music playing in the car. However, once I went up to 80-100 mph range, the sound was really obnoxious. Does anyone have any experience with this situation and know of any modifications for my set-up to reduce some of the wind noise? I'm used to cruising on the highway at 80+ mph and long drives are going to be less comfortable if I have to blast music to offset the loud wind noise.

On the other hand, does anybody have experience with the OEM BMW ski/snowboard rack and know if it is quiet at high speeds? Or does anybody have any suggestions for aftermarket ski/snowboard mounts that work well and don't produce a large amount of wind noise at high speeds?
Cardboard from a refrigerator box fashioned into an aerodynamic wind splitter with M sport stripes?
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
syuan92
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Back in the 90s I had a (rare "Design 800") Thule rack that would whistle like a banshee when I put the ski attachment on in the winter. My solution was to change the attachment's angle of attack slightly.
I read your post like you only have the crossbars and have yet to install the roof box... I'd wait to see what it's like with the whole setup in place before panicking.
The sound is with the roof box. I'm considering going on vacation next week which would require me to drive from MA to NC and I'm definitely not going to bring along the roof box if I can't find a solution to the sound problem. I have yet to try driving my X1 with the box at high speeds so maybe I will try that instead. I really wish I could eliminate the wind noise from the box though.
Appreciate 0