BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Competition Package Sports Exhaust for sale

Anyone interested in buying my Competition Package Sports Exhaust (full system, complete with gloss black tips)? I have currently done 4000 miles? I'm open to sensible offers if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
fvdvm3
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Hi,

What is the difference with the standard exhaust ?

Do you any local installers?
I'm living in Luxemburg and a trip to the UK is always interesting.

Please sent me a PM, i don't know how to .......

Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Hi,

The CP Sports Exhaust apparently has the baffles removed from the std M5 exhaust. In terms of aggressiveness, BMW say it's somewhere between the std exhaust & the M Performance (Akra) exhaust. I'll post a video shortly (just got to figure out how to host it).

The exhaust will be located at my BMW dealership, so, IMO, would make sense to use them for fitting.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
fvdvm3
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Cool,

In the meantime i could pass by BW chiptune.

What is your price ?

You can sent me PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvdvm3 View Post
What is your price ?
Price PM'd.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

My first attempt at a YouTube video (lol): -

Taken using Hero3+ black mounted to windscreen within skeleton housing. Picture & sound quality has degraded from original, but should provide some idea of CP sports exhaust sound (for those who are interested - commentary below to give some idea of what engine/road speeds the sounds are made at).

Engine Dynamics set to Efficient throughout.
Start in D1 trailing to 1/4 throttle.
Close drivers window at 7-8 seconds (windows/sunroof all shut)
S1 via paddles at 19 seconds
S1 3rd gear at 22 seconds (varying speed to max 40mph, no more than 1/4 throttle)
1/2 to 3/4 throttle at 40 seconds (varying speed to max 60mph, no more than 3/4 throttle)
Downshift to 2nd gear via paddles at 1m 20s
Accelerate up hill in 2nd gear at 1m 23s (varying speed to max 40mph, no more than 3/4 throttle)
Shift to 3rd gear via paddles at 1m 27s

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-04-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Gazzerthegreat
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW (2014) F10 M5

Hi Dinoysus,

Just a thought/warning that someone else advised me regarding the selling off of the OEM exhaust system. I have assumed that your CP exhaust is the one that came with the car? You don't state what you are replacing it with, so I'm guessing here as well.

If you need to return the car (lease) or just want to sell it/PX back to a BMW dealer, they will probably insist on an original OEM system. The standard M5 OEM system costs around £8k - hate to think what the CP (Akra) system from BMW would cost.

Anyway, as I said - just a thought for you to reflect upon or check with your dealer before you sell. I was just pleased someone told me before it was too late! This is what Forum's are about - sharing info.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Hi Gazzer,

Thanks for the warning! I agree with your view on sharing info.

I'm going with the M Perf exhaust (which is the akra with some BMW tips), so will not have any issues with sales accepting the car back as it's a genuine BMW accessory. Going direct to akra, or anything else, and it would have be a different matter as you say.

If I do sell the CP exhaust, where I will potential lose out is when I get round to PX'ing it and the sales department don't give me much if anything over the PX price for the same car with the OEM exhaust, however, I'm happy to accept that.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
dapple
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 and F80 M3

Is this still available?

And roughly where in the UK?

Last edited by dapple; 03-13-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

M Performance (aka Akrapovic Evolution Line) exhaust fitted today. Sound still needs time to improve (hopefully not wishful thinking), but similar driving to CP exhaust above produces the following: -

This is the CP exhaust in D1 driving uphill (M Perf does sound like it can replicate this, but I've yet to try) - BMW removing the baffles certainly made a difference: -

CP exhaust is still for sale & located at Arden BMW Maidstone; picture below: -
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-13-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Are we not hearing mainly synthetic sound through the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
james5599
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/e46 m3

Pm sent.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Are we not hearing mainly synthetic sound through the speakers?
Correct, but the active sound only accentuates the real interior exhaust sound (to overcome the F10's inherent refinement); if you roll down the widows, then you tend to hear a slightly louder and more distinct version of what gets played through the speakers (as you may be able to hear in the videos above - front window opened slightly at 1:06 on M Perf video).

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-19-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Dionysus. I know it's early days, but do you think the arka evo exhaust or the m performance exhaust are noticeably loader that the CP exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dionysus. I know it's early days, but do you think the arka evo exhaust or the m performance exhaust are noticeably loader that the CP exhaust?
I've only managed to do 20 odd miles so far, but based on that, my initial impression are: -

CP & MP about the same on cold start-up, MP louder on warm start-up.

MP louder at idle (or once the revs have dropped on cold start-up).

CP & MP produce similar noise levels under gentle 3/4 throttle application (MP possibly v.slightly louder); I have not tired full throttle with MP yet, so unable to comment on that (although would like to think MP will be louder than CP).

CP is actually slightly louder under trailing/part throttle application (I found myself focussing a little more on the tyre noise at constant 60mph on m-way with the MP as there is almost zero exhaust noise).

In 'normal' driving, the main difference (in the absence of having tried WOT in MP) is not the quantity of noise, but the tone (which you may be able to hear in the comparison videos above). CP is the more aggressive sound, IM(subjective)O, without being 'set off car alarms' aggressive.

My initial summary for anyone considering moving from the CP to the MP is that careful consideration is needed dependant on what you are hoping to achieve. There are louder/more aggressive aftermarket exhausts for the F10 available, if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-19-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #17
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Thanks for that comparison. It's what I've heard a few times now and I guess the cost of MP or full akra is significant, especially when we've already paid a premium to upgrade to CP to start with. I do love the look of the MP/Akra. So tips could the best option. Take it you wanted oem parts and warranty maintained so didn't go down the after market route? Or simply preferred the MPE over others?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #18
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that comparison. It's what I've heard a few times now and I guess the cost of MP or full akra is significant, especially when we've already paid a premium to upgrade to CP to start with. I do love the look of the MP/Akra. So tips could the best option. Take it you wanted oem parts and warranty maintained so didn't go down the after market route? Or simply preferred the MPE over others?
Akra should cost less than MP after any discounts (you are effectively paying for BMW support by going with the MP and this was my rationale for the extra spend). I do have ECU 'issues' after switching to the MP which were not present with the CP - to be expected with an exhaust which intends to modify performance (erratic idle, holding onto gears in Efficient mode, false mpg displays - apparently my car now does a constant 29.4mpg at idle ) - this should all settle down once the ECU re-adjusts, if it doesn't the BMW 'safety net' is in place with the MP option.

If aesthetics are your main concern, I would agree, see how you get on with the sound of the CP exhaust & add the aftermarket tips. Then stay away from @mstmng 's car (at least when its running), otherwise you may be tempted to buy the RPi.

The only thing you lose out on from not having the MP fitted before new car collection is that the warranty on MP will be 2 years instead of 3.

If you want something louder than the CP, I'd recommend looking past the MP, unless you are prepared to add different DPs. This then opens up the potential for CEL errors, warranty issues, etc., anyway, so same position as other cheaper aftermarket exhaust options. Having said this, it has been stated on this board in other posts that best sound for f10 M5 is MP/Akra + DPs (all subjective, of course).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Akra should cost less than MP after any discounts (you are effectively paying for BMW support by going with the MP and this was my rationale for the extra spend). I do have ECU 'issues' after switching to the MP which were not present with the CP - to be expected with an exhaust which intends to modify performance (erratic idle, holding onto gears in Efficient mode, false mpg displays - apparently my car now does a constant 29.4mpg at idle ) - this should all settle down once the ECU re-adjusts, if it doesn't the BMW 'safety net' is in place with the MP option.

If aesthetics are your main concern, I would agree, see how you get on with the sound of the CP exhaust & add the aftermarket tips. Then stay away from @mstmng 's car (at least when its running), otherwise you may be tempted to buy the RPi.

The only thing you lose out on from not having the MP fitted before new car collection is that the warranty on MP will be 2 years instead of 3.

If you want something louder than the CP, I'd recommend looking past the MP, unless you are prepared to add different DPs. This then opens up the potential for CEL errors, warranty issues, etc., anyway, so same position as other cheaper aftermarket exhaust options. Having said this, it has been stated on this board in other posts that best sound for f10 M5 is MP/Akra + DPs (all subjective, of course).
Hi mate,

has your MPE 'settled down' now and sounding better? any regrets to the additional +£7k spend?

i'm a couple of thousand miles in now and love the M5 and the CP features make total sense to me now. overall i'm happy with the CP exhaust too. everyone else comments how great it sounds from the outside and when driving away. but I'm lusting after a bit more growl and grumble at lower rpm. are you gettign this at all from your exhaust? I'm toying between your full akra evo(which is basically identical to BMW MPE) and the Eisenmann full sport or e race, but worried about drone for the cabin for passengers. I could probably live with it, but they couldn't!

I think I need to hear the Akra/MPE in person. where abouts in the UK are you?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #20
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate,

has your MPE 'settled down' now and sounding better? any regrets to the additional +£7k spend?

i'm a couple of thousand miles in now and love the M5 and the CP features make total sense to me now. overall i'm happy with the CP exhaust too. everyone else comments how great it sounds from the outside and when driving away. but I'm lusting after a bit more growl and grumble at lower rpm. are you gettign this at all from your exhaust? I'm toying between your full akra evo(which is basically identical to BMW MPE) and the Eisenmann full sport or e race, but worried about drone for the cabin for passengers. I could probably live with it, but they couldn't!

I think I need to hear the Akra/MPE in person. where abouts in the UK are you?
Hi,

I've done about 2600 miles on the MP, I am continuing to burn engine oil (changed from 3/4 to 1/2 full on idrive at 6000 miles) & the titanium has slightly darkened, but the tips are still free of soot.

The sound has improved since the MP was first fitted. I prefer the sound of the MP over the CP, however, the difference is subtle. Sounds especially good (tone and quantity of noise) in sport+ when decelerating via the gears. I do have a video - need to find time to convert & upload.

I usually drive my car fairly gently (I've seen ~37.5mpg on a long run) - with that sort of driving I was experiencing some whine with the CP exhaust which I found irritating. The MP exhaust has eliminated/masked this, so it suits my needs (taking my driving style into account).

When flooring it, it doesn't sound a lot different from the CP (at least inside the car).

Due to the reduction in backpressure with MP, the throttle is more sensitive than with the CP exhaust (can be both good & bad). It makes the car feel slightly more raw/abrupt from a start/very low speeds. Once you are rolling, however, just a smooth as with CP.

W.r.t. 'settling down', my idle can still be very slightly erratic (I don't recall it being so with the CP), especially if I haven't driven the car for a while (seems to reset the car having learnt your driving style), but it's nowhere near as bad as it was at first fitment and DCT is not holding onto gears with everything in efficient settings. MPG readout is also back to normal.

Zero drone with MP (I was told that that was what it was designed for) & I find it more quiet during motorway cruising than with CP (unless your in Sport+, then MP is louder). I use this car for long business trips, so didn't want anything too loud or that suffered from drone.

As to "any regrets", not really from the fact that some may describe the MP/Akra as a non-upgrade from the 'stock'/CP exhaust (I would say that CP is much closer to MP than it is to 'stock'), I'm personally happy with the change in the tone/sound quality alone (due to the reason stated above). Only issue that I have considered is that I am considering a 'garage mate' for the M5 (both will be low annual mileage), so was toying with the idea of keeping both of them for a while (as in extend warranty); this is the first time I've modified a car to change the 'optimal' BMW running characteristics (perhaps stating the obvious, but I would like to think that the in-house developed CP exhaust will put less long term stain on associated parts, i.e. highly stressed engine, etc.); although nothing to suggest that MP will increase likelihood of failure, it's still something I've thought about.

I occasionally work in 'SoS', so will pm you when next there (may not be for a while), although it may be more useful if we tried to do a UK meet (did the previous one ever happen?) and compared stock, CP, MP/Akra, RPi, Eisenmann (has anyone here still got one fitted?) etc.

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-12-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:12 AM   #21
M5_Tee
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 monte carlo blue m5 f10

Hi mate is the exhaust still available
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #22
Dionysus
Captain
Rep