ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Em4
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Off the lot?

Planning to buy an M4 in mid-July off the lot (or order it beforehand if I have to). Will it be available off the lot throughout dealers in California with basic options (Sapphire black, driver assistance, exec package, DCT, and maybe adaptive suspension.)? If I want it by July would I have to custom order it?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

might be tough in SoCal. All the dealers I talked to all have long list already of sold orders.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Em4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR
might be tough on SoCal. All the dealers I talk to all have long list already of sold orders.
I guess I wouldn't mind flying to another state and driving back a few hundred miles. Actually seems like the perfect way to break the car in. Thing is, due to some circumstances, I can't order the car until April 24. By then I'm guessing orders (if even available) would arrive long after mid-July, and only option would be to purchase off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^Best advice I can give you is call around and find a dealer who has a few to none on their M3/M4 list and get on their list. Dealers are not getting a lot of allocations at the jump so supply will be low and demand as we all know is high.

There will be cars on the lot however IMO it will be at dealers who are selling them over MSRP. But this is just my 2 cents nothing more.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em4 View Post
Thing is, due to some circumstances, I can't order the car until April 24. By then I'm guessing orders (if even available) would arrive long after mid-July, and only option would be to purchase off the lot.
If you order a car in April, it should be here by July no problem I would think. It's typically six weeks or so from order date to delivery date. Sometimes that timeframe grows longer, but I honestly could not see it going past three months.

What you need to do is find a dealership with a short waiting list or no waiting list so you can secure one of their allocations for April/May. Don't wait and hope to pick one up that's sitting on the lot. You may come up empty, or like GOLFFRR said, end up paying a premium for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
If you order a car in April, it should be here by July no problem I would think. It's typically six weeks or so from order date to delivery date. Sometimes that timeframe grows longer, but I honestly could not see it going past three months.

What you need to do is find a dealership with a short waiting list or no waiting list so you can secure one of their allocations for April/May. Don't wait and hope to pick one up that's sitting on the lot. You may come up empty, or like GOLFFRR said, end up paying a premium for it.
He can probably go ahead and get in line somewhere without putting money down or little down as a deposit but you won't actually have to pay for the car until it's here. I think if he waits til April it will not happen by July. I'm being told July now and I've been in line a while at my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
He can probably go ahead and get in line somewhere without putting money down or little down as a deposit but you won't actually have to pay for the car until it's here. I think if he waits til April it will not happen by July. I'm being told July now and I've been in line a while at my dealer.
Fair point. What month's allocation is your order coming from? Is it April or is it later? And, I guess more to the point, when are they estimating your car's build will start?

But, you're right - I should have been more clear, I think. When I said "order a car in April", I really mean not just placing an order into the system, but also having it accepted by the factory. In order to do that, it may very well mean that he must secure one of the first customer car builds in the US. And that assumes that US customer car builds really do start in April as we currently believe.

However, theoretically, even if the car is built in May or even June, it should be possible to have it by July.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Em4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Fair point. What month's allocation is your order coming from? Is it April or is it later? And, I guess more to the point, when are they estimating your car's build will start?

But, you're right - I should have been more clear, I think. When I said "order a car in April", I really mean not just placing an order into the system, but also having it accepted by the factory. In order to do that, it may very well mean that he must secure one of the first customer car builds in the US. And that assumes that US customer car builds really do start in April as we currently believe.

However, theoretically, even if the car is built in May or even June, it should be possible to have it by July.
In that case, my only choice would be to go off the lot since there's an extremely small chance I could have it factory accepted by April (I am going to go through with the order in late April). I guess my only hope to have it my July is to see if I can savage a few orders where the buyer walked out? Or see if any dealer gets it in stock off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

See this thread http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5#post15522185

Ghetto may be able to help you out by searching the dealer database. He is a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm not really sure to be honest. They are anticipating 2 allocations a month. Not sure if they have a good reason for that or not but they are a big dealer. I am #3 so they are estimating Ill get the first allocation of the second month. I guess that means they anticipate delivery of their first 2 allocations in June. Not counting the demo order. If they get 1 a month like some suspect I guess I'm waiting til August.

They actually contacted me this morning and said I could get a car 2-3 months earlier if I was willing to do black on black. So I assume that whoever was going to buy the demo car backed out or didn't get to spec it and is waiting.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In that case, my only choice would be to go off the lot since there's an extremely small chance I could have it factory accepted by April (I am going to go through with the order in late April). I guess my only hope to have it my July is to see if I can savage a few orders where the buyer walked out? Or see if any dealer gets it in stock off the lot.
I think we are losing something here in the complexities. You just need to claim a car that can be delivered to you by mid-July. So work backward from there. You need the car to built by June 1st (let's say - that might be too late a cutoff, but you can worry about that if you end up pushing against that date with the candidates you find in your search). Now, there will be launch cars built starting in March, and then builds from regular allocations will start in April. So you just need to get your name on one of these cars. If you secure a launch car, great, no question on whether you'll have it in time, but you won't get to choose your options. If you get an early customer allocation, you can choose your options and can still have it built in time to hit your date.

Quote:
I'm not really sure to be honest. They are anticipating 2 allocations a month. Not sure if they have a good reason for that or not but they are a big dealer. I am #3 so they are estimating Ill get the first allocation of the second month. I guess that means they anticipate delivery of their first 2 allocations in June. Not counting the demo order. If they get 1 a month like some suspect I guess I'm waiting til August.
Got it. So the bottom line either way is he needs an early allocation. Doesn't have to be immediate, but soon. And whatever the case is with that, build date is the key.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

United BMW Roswell in GA has a YMB M3 pretty loaded and a SB M4 pretty loaded. Both demo deliveries and unspoken for my CA told me.

Last edited by dmk08; 02-28-2014 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
M Fanatic
Banned
Rep
Drives: An ///M

Quote:
Planning to buy an M4 in mid-July off the lot (or order it beforehand if I have to). Will it be available off the lot throughout dealers in California with basic options (Sapphire black, driver assistance, exec package, DCT, and maybe adaptive suspension.)? If I want it by July would I have to custom order it?
Your problem is you want to buy in SoCal where the market has an entirely different dimension. Bunch of young guys with money in their pockets to pay whatever is asked to get the car they want. In east coast things are much better looking. I am on waiting lists in 2 different dealerships and both of them are giving me the M3 under MSRP. It's not 5-6k under, but still good enough. I'd say shop around and start looking outside of california state.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #14
Em4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fanatic
Quote:
Your problem is you want to buy in SoCal where the market has an entirely different dimension. Bunch of young guys with money in their pockets to pay whatever is asked to get the car they want. In east coast things are much better looking. I am on waiting lists in 2 different dealerships and both of them are giving me the M3 under MSRP. It's not 5-6k under, but still good enough. I'd say shop around and start looking outside of california state.
I thought about that, but wouldn't it mean I'd have to drive back to that state if a problem occurs with the car? I know I could do service from any BMW dealership, but what about repairs and faults?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
I thought about that, but wouldn't it mean I'd have to drive back to that state if a problem occurs with the car? I know I could do service from any BMW dealership, but what about repairs and faults?
You can take it to any BMW dealership in the US. I bought my M3 from David Aviles when he was in Maryland (now at Steve Thomas in CA) since he offered the best price. I took my car for every warranty repair and scheduled service to the dealership near my house in NJ. I was given loaners and professional service, and everything is still covered under BMW's service plan. I've heard that some dealers play games with loaners and things if you didn't buy from them, but they will fix your car if you have problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

^^^^

I think by "repairs and faults" he might be talking about issues the car may have at delivery but are not discovered until later or those that don't develop until just after taking possession. It's true that any dealership can address these things as well, but there may be some hesitation especially if there is any question about whether something is a flaw vs. being normal or whether it is covered under warranty (generally issues will be, but sometimes these things become a source of conflict).

I understand his concern. I would probably take the risk in order to get the best deal on the car (I've done it twice in the past and it's worked out for me).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #17
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
^^^^

I think by "repairs and faults" he might be talking about issues the car may have at delivery but are not discovered until later or those that don't develop until just after taking possession. It's true that any dealership can address these things as well, but there may be some hesitation especially if there is any question about whether something is a flaw vs. being normal or whether it is covered under warranty (generally issues will be, but sometimes these things become a source of conflict).

I understand his concern. I would probably take the risk in order to get the best deal on the car (I've done it twice in the past and it's worked out for me).
Not really sure what the risk is... if there is a legitimate problem, it is covered under the warranty. They can't tell you, "Something is broken so take it back to the place you bought it from."

As to your point about something being a flaw vs. something being normal... I bought a new 2004 330ci back in the day. It had this horrible vibrating noise from the passenger door when the radio was on. I brought it to the dealership I bought it from in NJ. The service adviser sat in the car with me listening to this noise and he pretended he didn't hear anything and wouldn't fix it. My point... if they don't want to fix something, they won't... doesn't matter where you bought the car from.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
M Fanatic
Banned
Rep
Drives: An ///M

Quote:
You dont have to pick it up from another dealership. There is this thing called performance center delivery They inspect the cars really well there for exactly this purpose and if something does go wrong, the fact that you picked it up from PCD will make a difference when you bring your car to another dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Sure. I definitely don't want it to become a big debate, however I do personally register a non-zero risk delta between the two scenarios. It is my feeling that your are likely to get better results in these specific types of situations from the dealership with whom you've established a relationship and have purchased products and services from rather than the one who just happens to be in close proximity. I'll bet I'm not alone in this philosophical belief.

Of course, there's no guarantee your purchase from a dealership gets you good service from them. No question there at all.

I'm risk-neutral when it comes to the having faith that goods I purchase will meet expectations for initial quality. So in my case, like I said, I typically purchase the car from wherever I get the best deal. But I completely understand more risk-averse folks who strongly favor buying from their local shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Not really sure what the risk is... if there is a legitimate problem, it is covered under the warranty. They can't tell you, "Something is broken so take it back to the place you bought it from."

As to your point about something being a flaw vs. something being normal... I bought a new 2004 330ci back in the day. It had this horrible vibrating noise from the passenger door when the radio was on. I brought it to the dealership I bought it from in NJ. The service adviser sat in the car with me listening to this noise and he pretended he didn't hear anything and wouldn't fix it. My point... if they don't want to fix something, they won't... doesn't matter where you bought the car from.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

PCD is fantastic no doubt, with one potential drawback being the drive home. I might consider it a fun part of the vacation, but others may be hesitant to put the extra miles on the car or have other reasons for not being open to the long road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fanatic View Post
You dont have to pick it up from another dealership. There is this thing called performance center delivery They inspect the cars really well there for exactly this purpose and if something does go wrong, the fact that you picked it up from PCD will make a difference when you bring your car to another dealership.
Appreciate 0