Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
jc1654M4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black M4

Lowering an m4

Ok so I have a question about suspension and getting the car at a height that I would like without sacrificing ride quality. If this has already been answered I would appreciate if anyone can direct me. If I want to lower the car to
Get rid of fender gap without the m adaptive suspension what would be the "proper" way to do this? Also, the same question with the adaptive suspension?
Reason I ask is because every where on here you have people saying to leave it stock or coils or whatever so I'm just wondering if anybody could help
Me out.
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

sounds like lowering the car with adaptive suspension would not be a good idea. read here http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=951270
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

I was lowered on rd springs on my e90 with adaptive suspension. Drove on 20s and 18s. In LA. Car wasn't a daily. Total of 17k miles with that setup. Ride quality was whatever, actually rode nice especially with 18s. However, the handling definitely was compromise. I live in the canyons. I immediately noticed a little understeer with that setup. But I don't track my car. For the M4 I'm debating on doing the same because--- fender gap was eliminated and it was fairly cheap. Or getting the passive m suspension and opting for coils later because over time springs wear out your stock shocks much faster than the stock springs.

At the end of the day, I want to be slammed or at the very least have no more then a finger gap all around. Any setup u go, even coils, the car won't handle as good as stock. I don't care what any other garage hero here has to say about that fact. I like how on my e90 I still had the dampening function with the rd springs, so on a really rough surface id put the edc on comfort and u do notice a difference which I liked. U can't do that with the passive suspension. Coils that are "good" are going to run u 2-3k, but I'm def staying away from coils and springs until I read reviews from test dummies.

Originally was going to pass on that adaptive m suspension but I might opt for it again this time around.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
jc1654M4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55
I was lowered on rd springs on my e90 with adaptive suspension. Drove on 20s and 18s. In LA. Car wasn't a daily. Total of 17k miles with that setup. Ride quality was whatever, actually rode nice especially with 18s. However, the handling definitely was compromise. I live in the canyons. I immediately noticed a little understeer with that setup. But I don't track my car. For the M4 I'm debating on doing the same because--- fender gap was eliminated and it was fairly cheap. Or getting the passive m suspension and opting for coils later because over time springs wear out your stock shocks much faster than the stock springs.

At the end of the day, I want to be slammed or at the very least have no more then a finger gap all around. Any setup u go, even coils, the car won't handle as good as stock. I don't care what any other garage hero here has to say about that fact. I like how on my e90 I still had the dampening function with the rd springs, so on a really rough surface id put the edc on comfort and u do notice a difference which I liked. U can't do that with the passive suspension. Coils that are "good" are going to run u 2-3k, but I'm def staying away from coils and springs until I read reviews from test dummies.

Originally was going to pass on that adaptive m suspension but I might opt for it again this time around.
Thanks for your input brother. This is def going to be my weekend car and I live in Miami where the roads aren't too bad. Mainly smooth and straight. I am looking for a lowered look I just want to do it properly and not sacrifice too much. I understand a decrease in handling is inevitable but I can live with that. I guess the best thing to do is wait till we see some testing done. [COLOR="DarkRed"][/COLOM
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Lowering springs with adaptive suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbonphiber View Post
sounds like lowering the car with adaptive suspension would not be a good idea. read here http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=951270
I would disagree, depending on your expectations. Per my posts in that thread, my E92 with adaptive and 19s is quite livable with Dinan Stage 1 springs. Those are ridiculously expensive for springs, but they don't compromise ride quality that much (yes, it is noticeable).

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
bcass57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWm4

I spoke to 2 performance shops both said springs alone is not the right way to go.
One opined a sleeve over and keep the adaptive. The other suggested BRZ coilovers and opt out of adaptive M.
They gave me this guidance under the assumption that the car is 95% street and want to preserve drivability/handling while lowering.

I have seen all the threads re and am still not sure what the optimum solution is. Does not help matters that I am neophyte on these matters.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm going with AS and plan on adding H&R springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcass57 View Post
I spoke to 2 performance shops both said springs alone is not the right way to go.
One opined a sleeve over and keep the adaptive. The other suggested BRZ coilovers and opt out of adaptive M.
They gave me this guidance under the assumption that the car is 95% street and want to preserve drivability/handling while lowering.

I have seen all the threads re and am still not sure what the optimum solution is. Does not help matters that I am neophyte on these matters.
sleeve over is exactly the same thing as springs, the only difference is an adjustable perch which allows you to adjust the ride height.

still a sh*tty compromised solution imo, and in no way better than springs alone for performance / ride comfort

there is a long thread in this section which goes over all of these things, and why lowering on springs alone (or at all) will result in compromises.
      04-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
bcass57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWm4

Thx-Will review the threads again. From the sounds of it, if predisposed to lowering (and open to some compromise) and doing it the right way, no point in adaptive M

Thx again for your insight,
Appreciate 0