F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Suspension settings and Lighting Package Questions
Studio RSR

02-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
BigartK
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Conv.

Suspension settings and Lighting Package Questions

In a 435 Sport Line or a 435 Luxury Line is the suspension setting the same when set to the Comfort Mode?

Also, can anyone give me an opinion about the LED lighting package? Do they actually put brighter light further down the road and are they worth the higher price?

Thanks to all.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

theres no change in suspension settings unless you have DHP. Meaning comfort and sport and eco doesnt change anything in the suspension

if your car is X-drive....both sport and luxury have the same exact suspension. if your car is RWD, sport line will have stiffer springs.......but again....if you dont have DHP....nothing gets changed in the suspension settings.

as far as the LED lights, i personally dont see that much of a difference. normal xenons are plenty fine.
      02-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
BigartK
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Conv.

Settings

Thanks for the response.
So what does the comfort and sport settings actually change?
I have owned BMW 335s before but none yet with the sport package. So I am trying to determine how noticeably firmer the ride will be with the Sport Line car.
The dealer tells me that in sport mode the ride is firmer in the Sport Line car than the Luxury Line car. But he says that in Comfort Mode the Sport Line and the Luxury Line should be the same.

Any comments are very welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
pocoyo_3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 6MT

Honestly, the F30 suspension calibration is noticeably softer than the E90. The stock (non-sport) suspension is just too soft and it can wallow at times. The sport suspension give a stiffer ride but it is more controlled. I
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigartK View Post
In a 435 Sport Line or a 435 Luxury Line is the suspension setting the same when set to the Comfort Mode?

Also, can anyone give me an opinion about the LED lighting package? Do they actually put brighter light further down the road and are they worth the higher price?

Thanks to all.
To answer your suspension settings question, each selectable setting changes the following characteristics of the drive:

-Throttle response
-Automatic transmission shift characteristics
-Power steering assistance
-Dynamic Traction Control mode (Sport+ only)
-Shock absorber firmness (if equipped with Adaptive M suspension)

The biggest changes I notice are between ECO Pro and Sport. Comfort is normal and the default setting in the 3 Series.

Regarding the LED lights, I wish they were available for my car - I love em and not only are they brighter than the Xenons, but I think they change the entire look for the front of the vehicle.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
funkadesi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
To answer your suspension settings question, each selectable setting changes the following characteristics of the drive:

-Throttle response
-Automatic transmission shift characteristics
-Power steering assistance
-Dynamic Traction Control mode (Sport+ only)
-Shock absorber firmness (if equipped with Adaptive M suspension)

The biggest changes I notice are between ECO Pro and Sport. Comfort is normal and the default setting in the 3 Series.
I thought this was only possible with DHP? What aspect of the suspension change? Source?

The M-Sport suspension comes standard for Sport and M-Sport lines. To my knowledge, it doesn't change regardless if you are in Sport+/Sport/Comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadesi View Post
The M-Sport suspension comes standard for Sport and M-Sport lines. To my knowledge, it doesn't change regardless if you are in Sport+/Sport/Comfort mode?
That is accurate.

Only cars equipped with the DHP will have the suspension change depending on setting.
      02-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought this was only possible with DHP? What aspect of the suspension change? Source?

You are correct, it is only possible with the DHP (comes with the variable sport steering and the adaptive M suspension). With the DHP it lowers the vehicle a little bit (0.4 inches). I have access to BMW's training website and it says: "The system consists of electronically controlled shock absorbers whose firmness can be adjusted to both Comfort and Sport settings via the console-mounted Driving Dynamics Control feature. Additionally, the system uses incoming information about body and wheel acceleration, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, vehicle speed and steering wheel position to adapt the damper mapping to the current road surface and driving situation."
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Any ride height differences with DHP compared to the M-Sport?

What are the DHP guys who want a lower ride height doing?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
...the DHP (comes with the variable sport steering and the adaptive M suspension). With the DHP it lowers the vehicle a little bit (0.4 inches).
No, it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yep, it does.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I should clarify a bit, rear-wheel drive BMWs equipped with the DHP are lowered by 10 millimeters.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #13
owerr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, audi a4

So is it true that if I order the luxury line with DHP, the car would be EXACTLY the same as a m sport line car in terms of performance?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by owerr View Post
So is it true that if I order the luxury line with DHP, the car would be EXACTLY the same as a m sport line car in terms of performance?
No. Not at all. This thread is clear as mud. Half the people commenting don't have a clue what they're talking about. DHP provides ADJUSTABLE shocks. Sport/M-Sport provides FIRMER shocks.* These aren't the same thing. You can also order Sport/M-Sport with DHP, in which case you override the FIRM shocks with ADJUSTABLE shocks.

So no, these aren't "EXACTLY" the same in terms of performance. The DHP in "sport" setting is close to the FIRM shocks of the Sport/M-Sport line, but they're not exact. The springs and roll bar thickness are still different between DHP and Sport/M-Sport (and no line/Luxury/Modern).

*for completeness, no-line/Luxury/Modern provide MUSHY shocks

Last edited by diablo2112; 04-06-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I have LED lighting in my car. Only owned it 3 weeks. A lot of folks say it's only a small difference. I disagree hugely. I had xenons in my E92. The LED's are about 4 times better. A much brighter white at night and easier on the eyes. I don't even miss my fog lights. Not to mention they look great too.

A lot of folks on here are trashing LED's, but none of them have driven with them for a long time.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:

DHP is the name of the package. The package includes the "Adaptive M Suspension" which replaces the "M Sport Suspension".

An analogy would be the lighting package which includes xenons. You could say, "my lighting package is really bright" or "my xenons are really bright". In the same way you can say "DHP allows adjustment of the suspension" or "the Adaptive M suspension allows adjustment of the suspension". Both are accurate.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

That's what the M-Adaptive is, i.e. the variable damping portion of the DHP option.
      04-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I have LED lighting in my car. Only owned it 3 weeks. A lot of folks say it's only a small difference. I disagree hugely. I had xenons in my E92. The LED's are about 4 times better. A much brighter white at night and easier on the eyes. I don't even miss my fog lights. Not to mention they look great too.

A lot of folks on here are trashing LED's, but none of them have driven with them for a long time.
Fout times? Me smells some hyperbole. Let see lumens to lumens. Not saying they aren't brighter just curious as to the specs.
      04-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #19
yo-ga
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Conv. Sport 6MT

I thought the Xenons in our 2011 335i were wonderful...until we got our 328d Touring over the weekend. The Xenons in the new car are "four times" better than those of our 335i. Way better. Especially the high beams, which light up the tops of trees. The Auto high beams are excellent too, but could be tuned a little bit better to turn off quicker when oncoming traffic approaches. The Xenons also follow the road better with turns than the 2011.

I can't compare modern day Xenons to the new LEDs. But the modern Xenons are really much better than they were three years ago, to the point that if LEDs were offered on our 328d, I wouldn't even consider them for the price.

Last edited by yo-ga; 04-06-2014 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: added a smily to convey tongue-in-cheek usage of "four times"
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-ga View Post
I thought the Xenons in our 2011 335i were wonderful...until we got our 328d Touring over the weekend. The Xenons in the new car are "four times" better than those of our 335i. Way better. Especially the high beams, which light up the tops of trees. The Auto high beams are excellent too, but could be tuned a little bit better to turn off quicker when oncoming traffic approaches. The Xenons also follow the road better with turns than the 2011.

I can't compare modern day Xenons to the new LEDs. But the modern Xenons are really much better than they were three years ago, to the point that if LEDs were offered on our 328d, I wouldn't even consider them for the price.
+1 If you have the chance, you should get the Auto High Beam unlocked to the Euro version and then you'll really be amazed.
      04-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
mags
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i Luxury Line

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I have a 2014 435i w LEDs, had a 2007 E92 with Xenons.
I do not have a lumen"ometer". I do not have a better"ometer"
From the non scientific non engineering approach.
The LEDs are "whiter", whether they shine farther or not, I am not sure. I did not have both cars on the road next to each other.
I think if you are thinking is it worth the money, then you should not get them, because you are saying money is an issue.
Xenons are safe (they provide very good light), LEDs might be safer, but I am not sure 1900 USD safer.
They look cool.
I think it is like a Nav, most of us do not use it everyday, in 2 years it is more obsolete and your smartphone has a better map. And it is one more thing that can break. But that big screen is cool, no?
You will never recoup your $$$, but might make the car more attractive in the future.
Appreciate 0