F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dynamic light assistant - does it work?
proTUNING Freaks

02-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Thlian
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive AT Touring M-Sport

Dynamic light assistant - does it work?

Though I just have had my car for 1,5 day I can't say I`m impressed.

I was told they would work dynamically, just blend out ongoing traffic. But mine has either high beam or low beam, nothing dynamic about that

The dynamic curve lights works fine though.....
      02-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
anhizer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Sounds like its not enabled- in the US we have what you describe: High beams ON / OFF only- no fancy beam splitting/moving etc. That being said, I coded my car per the instructions in the DIY section of the forum and it is a very dramatic difference. They are always moving around when the auto-highs are turned on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhizer View Post
Sounds like its not enabled- in the US we have what you describe: High beams ON / OFF only- no fancy beam splitting/moving etc. That being said, I coded my car per the instructions in the DIY section of the forum and it is a very dramatic difference. They are always moving around when the auto-highs are turned on.
What stupid government agency is it that stops this feature from being implemented in the US?

I was happy to find out this feature could be enabled via coding, do you have to have the automatic high beams to do so?

Even though it is a VERY cheap option I just skipped it on both cars because I didn't see the point since we don't get the beam splitting and other features. Now that it appears otherwise I feel like I missed out.

Last edited by falar; 02-25-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
What stupid government agency is it that stops this feature from being implemented in the US?

I was happy to find out this feature could be enabled via coding, do you have to have the automatic high beams to do so?

Even though it is a VERY cheap option I just skipped it on both cars because I didn't see the point since we don't get the beam splitting and other features. Now that it appears otherwise I feel like I missed out.
Yes you need HBA for it to be unlocked. The US version is rather lame as I found out, but now that the car is coded--wow!
      02-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Yes you need HBA for it to be unlocked. The US version is rather lame as I found out, but now that the car is coded--wow!
Ahh too bad, live and learn. At first I thought "gotta have this" then saw the key features were disabled in the US and skipped it, only to now find out I could have had it coded back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
Yeah, it really should be allowed here, its a very helpful and safe feature. People thought that the regular auto on-off beams were cool at first, but the anti-dazzle makes it a whole new feature. I think it just hasn't been approved yet.

I enabled for myself and drove behind my friend without telling him about my lights. He brought it up and said he noticed they were moving all over the place and shining on the sides of his view. It threw him off and slightly distracted him at first because he didn't know what was up with it he said but never blinded him. Maybe it's because they believe it may be a distraction here of something...
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #7
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Frogman and I drove our cars together tonight on Mulholland between Old Topanga and Las Virgenes Road to see what our lights looked like to other drivers. We switched off as lead and tail as well as doing some head on passes.

When behind you, the high beams with HBA definitely look brighter but not blinding. When the left light is dipped it looks like a car with a headlight out, or misaligned. We got the tunnel to work, which lights the sides of the road quite nicely, while not blinding the car in front.

As a comparison, when Frogman was behind me, he shut off HBA and put the brights on manually. My eyeballs were getting suntanned. A definite difference between that and being in the tunnel.

The take away for me is, leave HBA off on anything but a really dark road as one time the brights did come on while on the freeway, and a Mercedes ahead brake checked me because he thought I was flashing him. However, no time have I ever been flashed by oncoming traffic while the high beams were on.

Good stuff.
      02-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

I should also have this feature on my build as it has the lighting package, but when I turn on auto high beam nothing happens, or moves, or anything. So everyone with this option in the US has to code it in themselves? Absolutely ludicrous!

Anyone have a link of where to start?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:36 AM   #9
Thlian
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive AT Touring M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
I should also have this feature on my build as it has the lighting package, but when I turn on auto high beam nothing happens, or moves, or anything. So everyone with this option in the US has to code it in themselves? Absolutely ludicrous!

Anyone have a link of where to start?
You should in any case have adaptive lightning, nothing much happens when standing still, but if you turn right the lights will go right. But for safety reasons it won`t turn left when standing still.