F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help needed - LED Headlights in Canada
Studio RSR

02-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Question Help needed - LED Headlights in Canada

I am still trying to figure out if I will tick the LED headlight option box for my M4 order. I am booked for a May production, so I still have a little time to figure out details of my order. From my research, I understand that there isn't much of a difference in lighting performance between the xenon and the LED. Looks would be my main incentive (yes, go ahead and call me a poseur) and I am a tech geek and like having the latest tech. I do find the $2000 price tag pretty steep for looks only. If I also get some new tech like the "split beam" functionality, it could push me on ordering them. I have several questions for which I cannot find answers to (even the my sales-rep struggled with those). Does anyone have insight on the following (maybe current Canadian 4-series owners)?
  • What is the difference between "Active LED Headlights" and "Adaptive LED Headlights" (if any)?
  • In the US preliminary order guide, LED headlights are part of $1900 "Lighting Package" that includes High Beam Assistant (5AC). In official Canadian pricing guide, LED headlights are a stand alone $2000 option (or part of the Exec pack). HBA (5AC) is only mentioned in the $1500 Technology Package. Is the HBA included in Canada with the Adaptive LED Headlights option 552?
  • Is the "split beam" functionality of the LED headlights activated in Canada?
  • To get the "split beam" functionality, does one need to order the HBA as part of the technology pack ($1500)?

PS: I have submitted the same thread on the F8X forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

With the LED package in the US, the split beam functionality is disabled by default. This functionality can howerver be coded back into your vehicle. The coding sequence is now common knowledge amongst any of those that code their vehicles.

I do have the LED headlights and I am also a techy. I love the different color temperature but I do still find the xenons better in the rain, whereas the LEDs are better in the snow and extremely dark conditions. The high beam on the LED headlights is more powerful than the xenons.

I should also mention... the headlights just look beautiful.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

If I'm not mistaken, with the leds you have all four lights on at night, call me whatever you want but I'd get them just for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

I was at BMW Laval and they brought LED headlight up too.
I don't think I'm going to get it on the 4 series. I would put that money somewhere else...