F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 328i order - advice on the 'not sure options'?
proTUNING Freaks

02-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
SRB
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

F32 328i order - advice on the 'not sure options'?

Just about ready to order an F32, previously I had a black/black E92. Car is used for very short trips in traffic conditions – 30 km/h is average. any ‘strong’ advice regarding the NOT SURE options listed (the rest are listed for completeness only)

NOT SURE (listed in order of uncertainty)
5as active drive assistant < will try at the dealer, are there any disadvantages to having this?
5df adaptive cruise < I understand over 60km 5as will not stop the car unless you have 5df
5al dynamic safety (pretension seat belts) < should be free, any reason not to buy?
5ag lane changing warning < I understand not available on M-Sport F32?
2PL 19 inch wheels < previously I had 18” – I am expecting not to feel a difference
2vf adaptive suspension< for rough roads will this help?
420 tinting<not sure if it looks better with this
2vl sport steering < likely unimportant for my driving style

NOT SURE (BUT FAIRLY CERTAIN YES)
475* Black Sapphire– also considered Citrine Black (but I’m not sure it would be better, however I am not impressed with Black Sapphire - too blue)
ZASM* Black individual extended leather < only fear is that it will wear out quicker
337* Individual Piano Black<I had previously and micro scratches all over, but I don’t like the alternatives

MOST LIKELY NO
5dl surround view, 2nh sports braking, 6nr apps<do they do anything useful (if I don’t use twitter/facebook), Electric seats (I am the only driver)

MOST LIKELY YES: 328i engine, 676 HI FI (considered harmon kardon but I am tend to think everything sounds the same), 2tb automatic-sport (first automatic)

DEFINATELY YES: 337 M package, 488 lumbar support, 760 shadowline, 6wa full black dash, 508 front/rear parking, 430 auto mirrors, 494 seat heating, 609 Navigation, 610 HU display, 322 comfort access, 8th speed limit indicator, 465 split seat, 493 storage, 4ae sliding armrest, 6ns enhanced Bluetooth, 3AG rear camera
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB View Post
5as active drive assistant < will try at the dealer, are there any disadvantages to having this?
5df adaptive cruise < I understand over 60km 5as will not stop the car unless you have 5df
5al dynamic safety (pretension seat belts) < should be free, any reason not to buy?
5ag lane changing warning < I understand not available on M-Sport F32?
I have these but don't find myself really needing it, it's more of an awareness type of thing I think. If I get distracted by something for a second, Lane Departure Warning helps out when start touching the lane paint so I can correct myself, but I don't think they are entirely necessary if you are very aware and don't get sleepy while driving...
Adaptive Cruise Control is very convenient but I personally have a tough time trusting it. I get very afraid when it comes to trusting it braking and slowing down for other cars, but that's just me being me.
I don't approach cars ridiculously fast so Active Drive Assistant is not very active for me. Also, sometimes gives me false alert every once in a while. But it has given me a few warnings when I actually would need them.
Again, these are great features, I would say yes to the Pretension Seat Belts, but everything else is really dependent on your awareness of a driver. (Such as if you were some super popular must-respond-to-texts-immediately while speeding to work. lol)

Quote:
2PL 19 inch wheels < previously I had 18” – I am expecting not to feel a difference
2vf adaptive suspension< for rough roads will this help?
420 tinting<not sure if it looks better with this
2vl sport steering < likely unimportant for my driving style
These are the four things I don't have. I had 19" rims on my old Audi, which was a lemon replacement for the same exact car with 18" rims. I noticed a slight difference where the road felt bumpier on the 19"s but I don't think it's enough to matter.
Adaptive M Suspension is one of the bigger regrets I wish I got since it does stiffen in Sport/Sport+ and change the feel of the vehicle. I would say yes to the suspension if you think you are to be taking those curvy roads hard for pure enjoyment, otherwise if you are looking for simple smooth comfort, the standard suspension suffices me well.
Tint your car, whether it's factory or third party, just make sure you tint it. It changes the look of the car completely in a great way in my opinion.
Variable Sport Steering I feel I am living without pretty fine, it already stiffens or smoothens depending on Sport or Comfort mode. Something I wish I had but again, it's not like it's a living nightmare driving a BMW without it, haha.

Quote:
MOST LIKELY NO
5dl surround view, 2nh sports braking, 6nr apps<do they do anything useful (if I don’t use twitter/facebook), Electric seats (I am the only driver)

MOST LIKELY YES: 328i engine, 676 HI FI (considered harmon kardon but I am tend to think everything sounds the same), 2tb automatic-sport (first automatic)
Honestly, I absolutely love the top view cameras. I don't think I've ever used the side views, maybe once when pulling forward out of a parking space, but seeing the curbs with the top view and how straight I am in a parking space is one of my most loved features.
Harmon-Kardon made a difference to my ear. Would have been sweet if they offered Band & Olufsen, but the Harmon-Kardon does a great job with clarity compared to standard. I'd say compare the Hi-Fi to the HK in person. The car is where I listen to music the most so I figure I might has well get the best for what I will enjoy in the car.
Also yes to the Sports Transmission. It shifts quick and makes that badass grunt when it shifts.

Again, these are all my personal opinions from what I see in my car. It really depends on how often you think you will utilize the features and what will make you most comfortable. Hope that sort of helps?
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

My opinion:
A BIG YES to:
- sports braking
Bigger brakes are always an intelligent addition, even if you're not going to track your car.
- sports transmission
I loooove this sports transmission.
In sports mode it's amazing. For me (435d), if I'm cruising and not doing any heavy acceleration, it tries to keep it ~2000RPM (peak torque's between 1500 and 2500 RPM) so you can always accelerate off of peak torque.
And the shifts are super duper fast - almost as quick as a dual clutch, but smoother.
- M adaptive suspension.
As to the adaptive suspension - it definitely makes a difference when you switch between comfort and sport.
- HK
- rear view camera : duh...

Very cool, but could live without:
- active cruise control with start/stop
I had one in my previous Volvo and I really do trust it. It's a really cool feature to have if you do a lot of highway cruising.
- surround view (I personally use it a lot though)
- speed limit indication (it sometimes misses indicators...)

Also, I chose 18inch wheels over 19inch because
1) the tire size (width) was the same (225/255)
2) lower weight
3) better ride quality...

If ever I save enough cash though, I'll try and get forged wheels
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0