F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > 70W H7 bulbs for halogen assemblies
proTUNING Freaks

02-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
fefe_e90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

70W H7 bulbs for halogen assemblies

Just received my pair of Xenonmatch Titanium H7 bulbs from Hoen. Noticed they are 70W - will I do any harm if I run these in my F30? Standard wattage for halogens in the low beams are only 55W. Would my headlight assemblies be okay with these, or should I return them and pick up a pair of Sylvania SilverStars? Emailed customer support but no response.

I'm not too familiar with lighting (besides the fact I shouldn't blind the crap out of everyone with aftermarket HIDs). My initial impression is to play it safe and just return them, but wanted to hear your input.

Thanks in advance.
      02-03-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

They produce significantly more heat and are probably going to burn the reflector (or projector less, dont know which the f30 has).

I vote to return them, 70w is for big rigs and trucks arn't they?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
DEFINITELY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixf30 View Post
Just received my pair of Xenonmatch Titanium H7 bulbs from Hoen. Noticed they are 70W - will I do any harm if I run these in my F30? Standard wattage for halogens in the low beams are only 55W. Would my headlight assemblies be okay with these, or should I return them and pick up a pair of Sylvania SilverStars? Emailed customer support but no response.

I'm not too familiar with lighting (besides the fact I shouldn't blind the crap out of everyone with aftermarket HIDs). My initial impression is to play it safe and just return them, but wanted to hear your input.

Thanks in advance.
Don't use anything above 55 watts. Not only does it damage the reflectors, it puts a strain on your wiring harness that wasn't meant to be. Definitely don't want to fry your car for some brighter lighting that way. I had Sylvania Silverstars on my E90 and they were more than adequate. I also use them in my work cars with a lot of satisfaction. You can try PIAA also. I've also had luck with them. Just a few more pennies out of your pocket.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixf30 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Don't use anything above 55 watts. Not only does it damage the reflectors, it puts a strain on your wiring harness that wasn't meant to be. Definitely don't want to fry your car for some brighter lighting that way. I had Sylvania Silverstars on my E90 and they were more than adequate. I also use them in my work cars with a lot of satisfaction. You can try PIAA also. I've also had luck with them. Just a few more pennies out of your pocket.
+1

Try to use only OEM wattage as using higher is a known cause of fried electrical controllers which are pricey parts to replace in BMW's. Silver Star Ultra and ZXE are great alternatives as then put out Lumins that are as much as xenon. The only trade off is that they have a shorter life span then the standard halogens.
Appreciate 0