E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Long cranking of restarting

02-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
nojeans
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 335i LCI

Long cranking of restarting

Dears,

I have almost a double cranking time on restarting my engine, but it doesn't happen when the engine was cool. What clue of it ?
I did replace the ignition coil, spark plug, wide band sensor before cat, of course cranking doesn't take any data from wide band sensor

Tks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Markus8291
Second Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i xdrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojeans View Post
Dears,

I have almost a double cranking time on restarting my engine, but it doesn't happen when the engine was cool. What clue of it ?
I did replace the ignition coil, spark plug, wide band sensor before cat, of course cranking doesn't take any data from wide band sensor

Tks!
I had the exact same thing happen with my car. Ended up having to replace the fuel pump. Luckily it was all done under warranty.
      02-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
bw86newman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Garage List
1990 E30 325i  [0.00]
2011 E90 LCI 335i  [0.00]
I am having the same problem....doesn't happen all the time, couple times a week. I took the car in and had the high pressure fuel pump replaced to help fix the problem. Seemed to help the first couple of days, but I am still having the same problem, especially on restart. I am bringing the car back to the dealership on Tuesday, said that the injectors probably need to be replaced. The guy said they are seeing a lot of injectors needing to be replaced. I will let you know how it turns out after that.

2011 335i N55
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Interesting my 2011 also is having this same problem
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
nojeans
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

thankyou for all inputs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus8291 View Post
I had the exact same thing happen with my car. Ended up having to replace the fuel pump. Luckily it was all done under warranty.
not sure this item is under warranty or not since it was Y2010 model.
mine has fixed the DCT gearbox oil leakage under factory warranty in Dec 2013, I think it was due to their design defect so BMW fix it up without charges! this was the second time bmw replaced the gearbox covers without charges to fix the oil leakage issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw86newman View Post
I am having the same problem....doesn't happen all the time, couple times a week. I took the car in and had the high pressure fuel pump replaced to help fix the problem. Seemed to help the first couple of days, but I am still having the same problem, especially on restart. I am bringing the car back to the dealership on Tuesday, said that the injectors probably need to be replaced. The guy said they are seeing a lot of injectors needing to be replaced. I will let you know how it turns out after that.

2011 335i N55
hope that mine is not high pressure fuel pump fault...this should be one of very costly...will see if this is related to fuel regulator problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
Interesting my 2011 also is having this same problem
do you get any engine fault light when you were in full throttle.
mine has came up twice:-

the first one is just fill 40L gasoline then I pressed the paddle to the ground in the first 1000 meter I got engine light up and said your "engine fault" full engine power no longer available.....

the second one was fuel level warning light up (fuel under normal level), after few KM then I got engine light up "engine fault" when I pressed full throttle after few seconds....

BTW, does anyone try to read the fault code by their own laptop, what kind of cable and software i have to prepare?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
bk335ilci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Alpine White

Same hear with long cranks some times. Have you guys replaced the battery cable that is a recall? I heard some people say that solved the problem for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk335ilci View Post
Same hear with long cranks some times. Have you guys replaced the battery cable that is a recall? I heard some people say that solved the problem for them.
Its the fuel pump had my replaced in December.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #8
nojeans
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

finally problem fixed after HPFP replaced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
bk335ilci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Alpine White

Nojeans you did this job your self? How is the car running after replacing the hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
nojeans
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk335ilci View Post
Nojeans you did this job your self? How is the car running after replacing the hpfp?
Yes, i got the HPFP, intake manifold gasket, fuel line caps and some tools at last Friday.
Then did the replacement at Saturday took about seven hours to complete it. Problem I have was insufficient lighting in the car park.
And tested it was fine on Saturday night everything works very good.
At Sunday I drove about few km but smell some gasoline came out from engine near intake manifold. I clean engine air inlet area that faced to gasket and intake manifold gasket. reseat intake manifold, high pressured fuel line, it took about few hours then start the engine again. No more gasoline smell, I thought due to air leakage between engine air inlet and intake manifold.
I drove today more then 50km from my home to office and back to home. tested full throttle, under traffic jam and refill the fuel tank.
No long cranking on restarting and everything works fine!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
Markus8291
Second Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i xdrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
thankyou for all inputs!!!

not sure this item is under warranty or not since it was Y2010 model.
mine has fixed the DCT gearbox oil leakage under factory warranty in Dec 2013, I think it was due to their design defect so BMW fix it up without charges! this was the second time bmw replaced the gearbox covers without charges to fix the oil leakage issue.
Mine has a build date of 7/2010 I think. Wasn't the 2011 Model year the first for the N55's? At least that's what I thought. And if that's the case then they should all still be under warranty (unless you're over 50k of course)

My car was originally delivered in September 2010 so my warranty expires Sep. 2014.
      02-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, i got the HPFP, intake manifold gasket, fuel line caps and some tools at last Friday.
Then did the replacement at Saturday took about seven hours to complete it. Problem I have was insufficient lighting in the car park.
And tested it was fine on Saturday night everything works very good.
At Sunday I drove about few km but smell some gasoline came out from engine near intake manifold. I clean engine air inlet area that faced to gasket and intake manifold gasket. reseat intake manifold, high pressured fuel line, it took about few hours then start the engine again. No more gasoline smell, I thought due to air leakage between engine air inlet and intake manifold.
I drove today more then 50km from my home to office and back to home. tested full throttle, under traffic jam and refill the fuel tank.
No long cranking on restarting and everything works fine!
great job on doing it yourself.. i guess that means there isn't any work that you wont be able to do yourself than
Appreciate 0