E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Im having a bit of Coilover issues and would like some help.

01-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Mpy18
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 325 XI

Im having a bit of Coilover issues and would like some help.

Hows it going guys, I just installed a set of brand new KW V1 coils. Installed them with my old strut mounts. They drove fine, felt great, but any time I had to turn the wheel, I got a creak. Left or Right, forward or reverse, it is loud, embarressing, and sounds broken.

I looked it up, asked some friends, and came to the conclusion, it is more than likely my strut mounts that are worn.

So I bought a brand new set of strut mounts and just had them installed in the front. Still getting a creak. Same thing, nothing got better. The coils were maxed out all around, thinking that might be an issue, the front now has 4 threads on both sides from all the way down.

The ONLY thing I can think of now is, since I am in New York and it has been below freezing temperatures lately, the rubber strut mount on metal spring is making the noise due to the cold.

It just doesn't seem right, that a brand new suspension is going to be making noises like this. It's embarressing. My oem suspension wasn't doing this in the same weather conditions.

So, e90post, what do you think is the issue here, and if necessary I can post a video of the noise as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mpy18; 01-25-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
spectacula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18 View Post
Hows it going guys, I just installed a set of brand new KW V1 coils. Installed them with my old strut mounts. They drove fine, felt great, but any time I had to turn the wheel, I got a creak. Left or Right, forward or reverse, it is loud, embarressing, and sounds broken.

I looked it up, asked some friends, and came to the conclusion, it is more than likely my strut mounts that are worn.

So I bought a brand new set of strut mounts and just had them installed in the front. Still getting a creak. Same thing, nothing got better. The coils were maxed out all around, thinking that might be an issue, the front now has 4 threads on both sides from all the way down.

The ONLY thing I can think of now is, since I am in New York and it has been below freezing temperatures lately, the rubber strut mount on metal spring is making the noise due to the cold.

It just doesn't seem right, that a brand new suspension is going to be making noises like this. It's embarressing. My oem suspension wasn't doing this in the same weather conditions.

So, e90post, what do you think is the issue here, and if necessary I can post a video of the noise as well.

Thanks.
my car is doing the same thing...very embarassing...i just ordered a new strut mount so im praying that fixes it
      01-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

video added
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

anyone?!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Incorrect installation. There's two washers that need to be installed on the strut mount and it sounds like whoever installed your struts never installed the washers in the correct order and in the correct orientation.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Incorrect installation. There's two washers that need to be installed on the strut mount and it sounds like whoever installed your struts never installed the washers in the correct order and in the correct orientation.
You sound pretty confident that is it, I just texted him your response see if he knows about that. Any diagrams around showing how they should be installed?

And thank you for the response.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No diagram that I know of to be honest. I've fixed this mistake made by techs before. The only other possibility is the bearing inside the strut mount seized. I'd assume it's a seized strut mount if the noise/sound didn't occur when it was first installed.

If you search for a KW install how to on this platform you'll see the two washers I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No diagram that I know of to be honest. I've fixed this mistake made by techs before. The only other possibility is the bearing inside the strut mount seized. I'd assume it's a seized strut mount if the noise/sound didn't occur when it was first installed.

If you search for a KW install how to on this platform you'll see the two washers I'm talking about.
Sounds good I will look into it. I don't believe the strut mount is seized because I JUST bought a new one and put it in. Old and new making the same noise. Washers are probably just not correct like you said, I will look up a diagram see if we can fix it, and I will let you know. Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

yep. I'd be willing to bet it's the washer that is supposed to be directly under the upper strut mount. This washer is sort of cone shaped and needs to be installed with the black stripe facing up, so the strut mount can turn freely. otherwise, it will bind. it's number 8 in this diagram:

sounds like that washer is either upside down, or they installed it out of place.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Exactly. The big washer goes dome side up on top of #9, number 7 goes on the inside of the bearing on number 1 with the dome side facing down.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
I would isolate where the problem is and just reinstall that one side. unless it on both side?

did you follow ECS ST coilover install? i followed that and had no issues. I would also be mad if i heard that sound on brand new kw

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
http://blog.bavauto.com/14362/bmw-di...ts-or-springs/

This video shows the washers.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #13
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18

Thanks.
I bet it's the washer as well. We installed mine upside down and had the creaking sound as well. There is a black ring around one side of the washer. Unfortunately as I'm typing this, I can't remember if that side faces up or down during the installation. What I do remember is it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

So, we had a chance to look at the car. We tried something before we pulled the strut out to flip the washer that may or may not be the correct orientation.

Under the hood, unbolted the strut bar, popped the black plastic cap off the top of the strut, and loosened the nut on that. Tightened it to just snug, and took it for a drive, and the noise went away completely ! No more binding.

So it was just too tight and wasn't allowing for free movement. Now the one last thing I have to do is wonder why I am fully maxed out all around, but my front end is like a 4x4, unless this thing is going to settle like 2 1/2 inches, this is the next step to this project.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Quote:
So, we had a chance to look at the car. We tried something before we pulled the strut out to flip the washer that may or may not be the correct orientation.

Under the hood, unbolted the strut bar, popped the black plastic cap off the top of the strut, and loosened the nut on that. Tightened it to just snug, and took it for a drive, and the noise went away completely ! No more binding.

So it was just too tight and wasn't allowing for free movement. Now the one last thing I have to do is wonder why I am fully maxed out all around, but my front end is like a 4x4, unless this thing is going to settle like 2 1/2 inches, this is the next step to this project.

Double check to make sure the strut is fully seated in the spindle

Also, when you loosened the top nut, how loose did you go?

When I installed coilovers on my car I had them too loose - they would creak and make noise, so I tightened/torqued them down and the car ended up sitting a little lower as a result
      01-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

That's not the case. Your going to wear out the bearings prematurely if it's not tight enough. You have to set up all the washers and bumpstops properly. I have a set of v1's that I installed and they work flawlessly. You'll be very pleased once you have everything straight.
      01-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That sounds like a band aid. How much thread was left on the bolt after the nut was tightened? If it's not tightened enough you're going to have some play between the strut and mount which will cause a clunking when going over certain bumps.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #18
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _shim View Post
Double check to make sure the strut is fully seated in the spindle

Also, when you loosened the top nut, how loose did you go?

When I installed coilovers on my car I had them too loose - they would creak and make noise, so I tightened/torqued them down and the car ended up sitting a little lower as a result
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 View Post
That's not the case. Your going to wear out the bearings prematurely if it's not tight enough. You have to set up all the washers and bumpstops properly. I have a set of v1's that I installed and they work flawlessly. You'll be very pleased once you have everything straight.
Quote:
That sounds like a band aid. How much thread was left on the bolt after the nut was tightened? If it's not tightened enough you're going to have some play between the strut and mount which will cause a clunking when going over certain bumps.

They are tight, I tightened them until they got to the point it got a snug, tightened it a little more, then left it. Any tighter, it was causing it to make that binding noise. You tell me if they are in enough.

Appreciate 0