THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Adaptive Suspension Different for 228i/325i

01-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
rsgl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328it

Adaptive Suspension Different for 228i/325i

From the interview with Oliver Ganser, Product Strategy and Market Intelligence Manager at BMW:

Q: How do the different available suspension compare?
A: The 228i has four suspension levels - standard, M Sport (which gives a lower ride but no adaptive function), Adaptive M (discussed below), and M Performance.

The M235i in the US has no optional suspension, except the upcoming M Performance Suspension. The M235i comes standard with Adaptive M Suspension. But, even if you were to equip a 228i with Adaptive M Suspension, it's a different system than in the M235i. They share everything except that there are electronic valves on the dampers of the M235i, which help it stick even better to the road and react better, as well as providing a smoother and less bumpy ride. This is something unique that you can only get on the M235i (and no other 2 Series).

I don't question his knowledge, but I am surprised by the statement that the Adaptive Suspension option for the 228i does not have electronically controled variable valving; on the BMW build website, the description of the option explicitly says it includes electronically variable damping.

Has this been clarified yet? Perhaps he's only referring to different damping curves?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
rsgl
Enlisted Member
Rep

.....bumping this, does anyone know the facts on whether the 228i adaptive damping system does not electronically adjust shock valving?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

By definition, wouldn't that make it non-adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
rsgl
Enlisted Member
Rep

".......there are electronic valves on the dampers of the M235i, which help it stick even better to the road and react better, as well as providing a smoother and less bumpy ride. This is something unique that you can only get on the M235i (and no other 2 Series)....."

Yes it would seem so...???
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

This sounds like marketing speak from someone who doesn't really know anything about the technology.

Any adaptive damper system has an electronic valve of some kind. Some systems have multiple valves for more tuning options, so this could be what he means. More likely, however, the cars just have similar hardware with different tuning.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Was anyone ever able to determine if there is a difference between the Adaptive M Suspension on a base 228i vs an M Sport 228i?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs...duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
Was anyone ever able to determine if there is a difference between the Adaptive M Suspension on a base 228i vs an M Sport 228i?
The Msport suspension (I believe) is fixed while the adaptive suspension will adjust based on sport settings. If you go to BMWUSA and try to build the car, the 228 Msport wil prompt you to make a decision to remove the Msport suspension if you want the dynamic handling package.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
The Msport suspension (I believe) is fixed while the adaptive suspension will adjust based on sport settings. If you go to BMWUSA and try to build the car, the 228 Msport wil prompt you to make a decision to remove the Msport suspension if you want the dynamic handling package.
Thanks, but I was asking about possible differences between the adaptive suspension on a base 228i and a M Sport 228i (and the M235i, for that matter).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

base/M sport/adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
Thanks, but I was asking about possible differences between the adaptive suspension on a base 228i and a M Sport 228i (and the M235i, for that matter).
There are currently 3 suspensions available on factory built US 228i's. Standard, M Sport, and Adaptive M.

Standard is a passive suspension that is nicely balanced. The stock wheels are 17inch, but you can upgrade to 18 w/out upgrading the suspension.

The M Sport (which comes with either the M sport or Sport Lines) is also a passive system that is lowered 10mm and tuned tighter than the standard suspension. This system also always comes with 18 inch wheels. There has been some controversy regarding the 228i xDrive's with many saying the M sport suspension upgrade is not included the xDrive M sport and Sport line packages. So if your a xDrive guy and you don't want the standard suspension, you'll want to check the Adaptive M box.

Finally the Adaptive M Suspension is also lowered 10mm (it has been said that is uses the same springs as the m sport) but also features adaptive dampers that adjust and react to road and driving conditions. This system also has driver adjusted sport or comfort settings. For 2014 this suspension was part of the dynamic handling package. For 2015 this suspension is only available via the track handling package, but the package can added to any 228i (base, sportline, or m sport). On the Sport line or M sport cars, it replaces the M sport suspension. This package always comes with 18 inch wheels and for 2015 adds non-run flat Michelin Super Sport tires.

Lastly...BMW claims the Adaptive M Suspension on the 228i system is "tuned" differently than the system on the m235i. I strongly suspect it is the exact same system just tuned for the fact the m235i is 200lbs heavier.

Just ordered my 228i M Sport with the Track Handling Package, 6MT

Last edited by cehlion; 08-13-2014 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehlion View Post

Lastly...BMW claims the Adaptive M Suspension on the 228i system is "tuned" differently than the system on the m235i. I strongly suspect it is the exact same system just tuned for the fact the m235i is 200lbs heavier.
:
I strongly suspect the same thing. I discredit that marketing quote since he says the 228 with adaptive suspension is not dampened. The sky is not blue either.

Congrats on the car! You'll love it
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
There are currently 3 suspensions available on factory built US 228i's. Standard, M Sport, and Adaptive M.
The suspension options are always bloody confusing...thanks for outlining all of them, and congrats on the new car!

One oddity that I can't find an answer for yet is that I have a base 228i, yet I have this on the VIN decoder and the window sticker:

S704A - M Sportfahrwerk M Sports suspension

I'm assuming that by some weird BMW terminology the base suspension is S704A but called "M Sports."
I'd be interested to hear what other people have on the VIN decoder/window sticker.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

To get things sort out: Check BMW Press Club ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
dan84
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L

Quote:

Standard is a passive suspension that is nicely balanced. The stock wheels are 17inch, but you can upgrade to 18 w/out upgrading the suspension.

The M Sport (which comes with either the M sport or Sport Lines) is also a passive system that is lowered 10mm and tuned tighter than the standard suspension. This system also always comes with 18 inch wheels. There has been some controversy regarding the 228i xDrive's with many saying the M sport suspension upgrade is not included the xDrive M sport and Sport line packages. So if your a xDrive guy and you don't want the standard suspension, you'll want to check the Adaptive M box.

Finally the Adaptive M Suspension is also lowered 10mm (it has been said that is uses the same springs as the m sport) but also features adaptive dampers that adjust and react to road and driving conditions. This system also has driver adjusted sport or comfort settings. For 2014 this suspension was part of the dynamic handling package. For 2015 this suspension is only available via the track handling package, but the package can added to any 228i (base, sportline, or m sport). On the Sport line or M sport cars, it replaces the M sport suspension. This package always comes with 18 inch wheels and for 2015 adds non-run flat Michelin Super Sport tires.

Just ordered my 228i M Sport with the Track Handling Package, 6MT
Very helpful post, thank you! Going with the M Sport line withOUT the Track and Handling Package. The car will probably never see a track so I don't need the adaptive suspension. (Don't need a lot of things, but I draw the line there.)
Appreciate 0