E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear strut mount advice

01-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
bmwmiami335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan silver

Rear strut mount advice

planning to swap out the rear struts. I have the sport suspension, not sure if/how that affects anything.

planning to go with the bilstein B6 (hd 4600) line.

I see there are a ton of mounts and rubbers that go together with the rear strut. I was wondering if I needed to change any of them, and which ones?
top upper, top lower, bottom, bump stop. I can see why im confused...
something is shaking around back there, so I know I will need to change something, but not sure what just yet.
Also, does anyone sell a complete kit with everything that I will need?

one more thing. I was looking at the Dinan upper mounts, and also these Powerflex upper mount kit. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...cks/ES2651653/
anyone recommend either one? or just stick with OEM?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Turner sells complete kits. If you are trying to save money by only replacing what needs replacing, you won't really know till you take the old ones off and inspect them.

With the Bilstein rear shocks, you won't need to buy rear bumpstops, the shocks come with bumpstops specifically designed for them. They also come with the special blue dustcover. The bilsteins are nice design in that the bumpstop is underneath the dustcover protected from the elements, unlike the stock bmw units. The bumpstops for the front bilsteins are actually internal to the struts, so you won't need to buy them either if you go with the same bilsteins in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Griffi
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i sedan

I had 78k on my shocks and struts (sport springs) when I replaced them with the bilstein b6 hd set. I installed new front mounts and spring guides and new upper and lower mounts in the rear. I'm glad I did because I could see and feel the wear to those parts upon their removal. I'm very pleased with the result. I called bavauto and the tech rep walked me through all the parts I needed -- the total (not including the bilsteins) was about $200.
Appreciate 0