M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

01-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

M5 comp pack, vs i8, vs M4 - thoughts?

Curious as to this group's thoughts on M5 comp pack, vs i8, vs M4.

I know someone may comment that they're all vastly different - and in many ways they are - but they are all interesting in my opinion.

i8 - close to same price as M5/6, movie star looks, reviews I've read says performance is there, super-rare
M4 - sportier than M5, almost as luxurious (no alcantara but can get full leather), faster around a closed course?, newer bodystyle
M5 - known quantity, incredible power and straightline speed. more practical too, but aging?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I think you'll find that the M4 and M5 from a comfort point of view will be hugely different. The 4 coupe is no where near as lux as the 5.

The 3/4 series of the car tends to me a lot stiffer and more ridged than the 5. Whilst perhaps a bit more fun on some drives can be a handful.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

trust me, not that stiff as some people make them seem. But the M5 is a complete luxury car with very fast acceleration, and great handling characteristics.

M4 will be better handling, and (I hope) More connected

I8 is just a cool looking car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
i8 - close to same price as M5/6, movie star looks, reviews I've read says performance is there, super-rare
M4 - sportier than M5, almost as luxurious (no alcantara but can get full leather), faster around a closed course?, newer bodystyle
M5 - known quantity, incredible power and straightline speed. more practical too, but aging?
M5 - no idea if they've cured the perception of body flex that the pre-LCI F10s suffered from in the non-CP LCI F10s, however, agreed std F30 doesn't suffer from that & Ms are usually stiffer, so point's to good things. If you haven't already, I recommend you drive a current gen Cayman or 991 - that's how stiff a sports car should be.

F10 is far more refined than F30, so doesn't bode well for M4 (with frameless windows), however, refinement may not be a priority in M3/M4. Full leather or not, I personally find the 3/4 series interior somewhat incoherent (would not put me off buying one though), F10 interior is very luxurious, but I find the dash/centre console area a little bland. A modern take on the more aggressively driver orientated styling from E34/E39 would be welcome in next gen 5 series IMO.

M3/M4 exterior styling is also quite aggressive, hence, slightly less likely to be mistaken for non-Ms than is the case with M5 - less wolf in sheep's clothing.

i8 - agreed that it looks like a proper sports car (911, R8, etc.) so in that respect distances itself from M5/M3/M4, but not convinced that the styling will age well. Technically it's the most interesting, but also, as it's low volume, I would be concerned that it will take longer for potential issues to surface and, hence, be resolved. I would be cautious of buying a first gen of this sort of car.

I would buy M5 for discretion, M3 for fun, I would skip the M4 for a Cayman S, and wouldn't entertain an i8.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Sound advice Dionysus
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post

I would buy M5 for discretion, M3 for fun, I would skip the M4 for a Cayman S, and wouldn't entertain an i8.
Would skip Cayman S for R
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Curious as to this group's thoughts on M5 comp pack, vs i8, vs M4.

I know someone may comment that they're all vastly different - and in many ways they are - but they are all interesting in my opinion.

Dude, good questions. I know you just saw the i8 and the F80/F82 M3/M4 at the Autoshow, so there's definitely some good food for thought here.

The first thing is that I forgot that even with Full Leather the new M3/M4 will not have an Alcantara Suede Headliner, so not as luxurious as M5/M6 there, which is what I have always loved about the M5/M6.

The F10 M5 Comp Pack I have been on the fence about for so long now. Main reasons are LED Headlights, Adjustable Side Bolsters, and Comp Pack for me. Plus I'd like to have an F10 M5 in a different color. I'm pretty sure that the F10 M5 is not quite half-way through its life cycle yet, but in some ways, yes it is feeling a tiny bit dated. I think it's just because the F10 body style has been out now for over 3 years and now the competition is coming out with their products. Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. Next will be the new Cadillac CTS-V, which may surprise us just as the new C7 Corvette did. I'm still waiting for the 2015 F10 M5 to come out as I wondering what other updates BMW is going to make in future models. But yeah, straight line performance is blistering yet disconnected in many ways and there is a high volume of them throughout the world now, so to enthusiasts and owners it's not as exclusive any more but to the general public it is, if they even know what it is, lol!

The M4, is going to be the track toy/weapon of choice. I do feel that when we start driving them they won't feel nearly as luxurious. I have high hopes for the EPS, but for me the fun factor just won't be there with the exhaust note, yet the fun factor will be there on the track due to the light weight of the car (nearly 1,000lbs lighter than the M5!) I have a feeling that due to light weight and the 404ft/lbs of torque there will be levels of acceleration near the M5's. Some aspects of the design of the car itself bother people while other love it. I'm still undecided myself. What I do like about the M4 though is the smaller size of it in general and that it does have bigger looking back seats than even the M6. I trust your perception on the feel of the seats and the quality of the interior with the Full Leather, but I still have some problems with the ergonomics of the interior. The biggest one for me is the armrest. I'm not entirely sure if there will be an extendable armrest like the E92 M3's, but I thought I did read something about an option on the UK ordering guide for the armrest being extendable. But the number 1 thing that really bothers me about the M4 and 4-Series in general is that BMW didn't even change the interior design to be any different than the 3-Series. The M6 has a totally different design on the interior than the M5. Seriously, why bother changing the nomenclature to the M4 then?

The i8 is so so interesting. Definitely an eye-catcher and has that exotic look and feel. Not sure I would be able to drive a car without exhaust tips though. Although the performance certainly seems to be there, I would even guess on the same level as the M3/M4.

It just doesn't seem like owning only one of any of these cars will fulfill everything that we might look for in a car. The M5 has it's shortcomings, big, heavy, but not overweight by any stretch. The M4's shortcomings would be it's lack of luxury and utility (biggest no Bang and Olufsen), while the i8, obviously no freakin discernable exhaust note, not even from that interesting 3 cylinder turbo engine.

I think I'm gonna give it about another year before I make any future decisions on any cars. Let's see what changes are made to the 2015 M5, let's see how the new M4 really drives and feels like, and let's see what the i8's reliability and usefulness will really be like as well. Also let's see what the 14' 911 GT3 drives like as well as the new 2015 Vette Z06.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #8
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Would skip Cayman S for R
Quite right, although for 981 it would be GTS (as previously corrected by Hoopumpers). Only ~15bhp over the S, so hopefully still more chassis than power.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:05 AM   #9
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
It just doesn't seem like owning only one of any of these cars will fulfill everything that we might look for in a car.
100% agree, and I am annoyed by the fact. Perhaps it's always been this way and my memory serves me ill? I can understand owning say an S-class for comfort alongside a 911 for sports, but when did we get to the point that the likes of an M5, accepting the all rounder that it is, needed to be backed up with another sports car?

The last time I drove the M5 was in the rain and someone in an 6 series GC M sport zoomed up, maybe 1 cars length, behind me. As soon as we went straight at a roundabout gap increased to 3-4 car lengths. GC caught up on the straight and when turning 270 degrees at the next roundabout gap increased to maybe 10 car lengths. I still had cold tyres, so was taking it relatively easy, no idea if the GC driver was overly cautious during cornering, but the main thing I remember is that I could not feel the limit of cornering grip. My car with CP was absolutely flat throughout (GC didn't seem to be flat on 2nd roundabout exit), but was I having any more fun than the GC driver - I don't think so. To be honest I had no idea how far I could push the M5 due to the lack of feel.

My concern is that if the M5 was complemented with a car with a more connected feel, there are likely to be times when you are going to wish you were driving your other car for varied reasons.

Having said this the W204 C class is much more refined that the F30 (closer to the F10 in fact), so bodes well for the W205 C63 AMG with it's much better interior and more compact size over F10. Then again, perhaps the search for one prefect car is futile...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Quote:
when did we get to the point that the likes of an M5, accepting the all rounder that it is, needed to be backed up with another sports car?
yes this is the key point
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95
Quote:
when did we get to the point that the likes of an M5, accepting the all rounder that it is, needed to be backed up with another sports car?
yes this is the key point
I think "some" people reached that point after owning the F10 M5 and realizing how much the 4,400lbs affected the handling, the lack of engine induction sound and the lack of steering feel. Hence the 911 additions to many garages and now possibly the M4.

For me, after having owned the F10 M5 for almost 18 months now, I do yearn for those days of V10 glory from time to time and the lighter weight of how car feels on the race track. We just have to remember though that the previous generations of M5's all had their flaws as well. The #1 reason why I sold my E60 M5 was due to reliability and not that I just wanted the next best thing. Since owing my M5 I've still not had any major or minor issues with it. Just very tiny ones that were easily corrected.

I don't think that there is a such thing as a perfect car, even the next generation Gxx M5 I'm sure will have its flaws.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Dave, its like you are channeling my thoughts as of late.

I know I am getting rid of my M5 this summer. I know I am replacing it with another new car next January. I know I can basically get any car I want on this list, or any of BMW's competitors new offerings -- (I think the GT3 at MSRP + $20k is probably where I hit "out of my reach").

However, I keep coming back to wanting to order another M5. The M3 intrigues me for the CF, the weight savings and the new tech... but I know what it will be like to sit in every day as I drive it... I know I will want my private jet for the road back.
      01-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
next few months for me are going to be tough having just decided to sell my m3 to another enthusiast. luckily will be able to borrow the wife's M135i
Appreciate 0