E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW warranty

01-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

BMW warranty

Hi, just want some opinions on some things to do with warranty?

I have a 08 330d auto, its just gone over 90k i have owned it for a year so far and its been trouble free motoring apart from a flat battery twice! one in which i call bmw assist to jump start the car. Any way i have done a oil change, remove swirl flaps, changed the air filter to a pipercross, removed the DPF and also changed the auto gearbox oil + filter myself. Oh and my local dealer is aware of the remap on the car and said provided it does not cause the failure warranty is unaffected!

Question is do i pay for the extended warranty? if you would go ahead with the warranty which level of cover would you get. It all seams expensive really if you never use it? i can do all mechanical and most electrical work myself as i am a qualified technician so i dont mind working on my own cars? The only thing i have to pay for is the parts?
I had a golf mk4 before this bmw i bought that with 116k and its now on 150k and its still been reliable.

I dont think the 330d engine is unreliable in comparison to the 335i. so im half tempted to not continue it? and just risk any parts myself?
      01-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

if you are handy yourself, its a waste of money.

take the money you would be spending on a warranty and stick it in a savings account, use that for general maintenance that your going to carry out yourself, and the money left over can be kept incase something major goes wrong.

besides, the dealers "as long as it doesnt cause the failure" line is pretty much them telling you, any driveline issues will not be covered, because its the remap that caused your autobox to fail, or your diff, or your turbo etc etc.
Appreciate 0