M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Question Some good news, some bad news, next car search begins

Gents:

So I received two pieces of good news -- that my wife's pregnant with our first child, and that I am going to be the Director of Operations (the #2 man in the squadron) on a combat flying deployment.
With this comes some bad news... I leave the country about 3 weeks before my kid is born this summer, and the second, I will be giving my M5 back to BMW (not worth paying on a lease for 6-9 months, and under service member relief act, there is no penalty to me)

Because of the pace of lifestyle and work upcoming, I need to start planning for what car I want to replace the M5 with now. I am looking to pickup in January 2015, and wanted to get opinions from you all on what course of action to take.

Some of my considerations:
1.) Really want to do ED, no matter what brand/car I go with... good vacation opportunity with the wife once I get back home.
2.) Budget is $120k or less
3.) Not too excited about putting a car seat or child in an M5 or equivalent car... I'm way too OCD about cleaning my cars... though I suspect I will just have to get over this in a lot of areas now, not just my cars.
4.) My garage is going down to my wife's '13 335ix (will be replaced in '16 or '17 with a x5 or 3-series wagon), my BMW motorcycle, my Ram quad cab truck (needed for weather and to pull my 8x14 enclosed trailer -- could be replaced by X5 if they ever get a solid towing package)
5.) So, I will add one additional vehicle that will be my DD, fun car, luxury car all in one. I'm not opposed to a coupe, but prefer sedans.

The car I really want is an F11 M5 (an M5 wagon)... but BMW does not make this like they did with the E60.

The second car I would want is a F11 M550dx.. but BMW does not import this to the states (if they did I would definitely go stage 5 and smoke all of you at the drag strip)

The third choice of car? well this is where i get conflicted... Do I go look at other brands since I am very much interested in a very high performance wagon, or do I look elsewhere?

This weekend, I did go out and test drive a MB E63S AMG Wagon... it had 7 miles on it and was like 1 of 15 in the country right now... my wife and I both found it powerful, but disappointing in most other aspects.

So now I sit wondering which direction to go... pretty much anything is on the table... staying with an M5 would let me get the full experience of a car I'm not even going to get a year out of... New M3 or a Vette? Both seem cool and could save some bucks, but I think I would miss some luxury and I like the wider cockpit of the 5. New P-car? probably can't afford the one I want right now... and I already prefer driving the M5 over porsche (though I have no 2013/14 model year time).

Right now, I am tending toward another M5, but going the full individual route to make it unique to me and having it for long term ownership...

What are your thoughts?
      01-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

P-car!

If you want something small. Go with a 911. If you want a 4 door. Get a panamera gts. Since it's around 120k. Do European delivery and be sure to post pictures here because I am having hard time finding so nice threads on porsche European deliveries.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Congrats on the baby! It's truly the most special thing you'll experience!
      01-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Congratulations on both pieces of good news. Hope your wife has an uneventful pregnancy and a safe delivery. Now, for the car: since you guys do not have the RS6 estate (wagon to you et all…), I would go with an individual M5 unique to you to celebrate fatherhood; once child gets older can move to S-class(S600 seems a good choice).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Hey bro, or I mean sir, congrats on the new assignment and the new first child on the way. I have a feeling it will be a "masculine child" (GodFather voice ).

Before I got done reading the whole post my first thought was 14' 911 GT3, but then I read your requirements. If I was in your position and not about to have a baby, I personally would get an Audi R8 V10, been a dream of mine to own of those for a really long time. But like you said, with the little one on the way, your choices are limited.

I'm not entirely sure if you want to explore something different or go with the same but newer is better mentality. Things that have crossed my mind is the new 15' F80 M3 with the cloth interior, a new 15' Individual F10 M5 no Full Leather, maybe the new Cadillac CTS-V might be out by that time. Panamera GTS or Turbo but they may exceed $120K.

There's really not many choices if you want something luxurious, fast, and with lot's of utility. You are right the E63 AMG Wagon is definitely not as dynamic as the M5. I think you might be best off with a new 15' M5 fully individualized. Although, I'd highly consider the F80 M3, or at least test drive one before you pull the trigger on something else. Just some thoughts.

I'm on shore duty right now, so luckily I won't have to deploy for a while, but I could sure use that tax free and hazardous duty pay. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Gents:

So I received two pieces of good news -- that my wife's pregnant with our first child, and that I am going to be the Director of Operations (the #2 man in the squadron) on a combat flying deployment.
With this comes some bad news... I leave the country about 3 weeks before my kid is born this summer, and the second, I will be giving my M5 back to BMW (not worth paying on a lease for 6-9 months, and under service member relief act, there is no penalty to me)

Because of the pace of lifestyle and work upcoming, I need to start planning for what car I want to replace the M5 with now. I am looking to pickup in January 2015, and wanted to get opinions from you all on what course of action to take.

Some of my considerations:
1.) Really want to do ED, no matter what brand/car I go with... good vacation opportunity with the wife once I get back home.
2.) Budget is $120k or less
3.) Not too excited about putting a car seat or child in an M5 or equivalent car... I'm way too OCD about cleaning my cars... though I suspect I will just have to get over this in a lot of areas now, not just my cars.
4.) My garage is going down to my wife's '13 335ix (will be replaced in '16 or '17 with a x5 or 3-series wagon), my BMW motorcycle, my Ram quad cab truck (needed for weather and to pull my 8x14 enclosed trailer -- could be replaced by X5 if they ever get a solid towing package)
5.) So, I will add one additional vehicle that will be my DD, fun car, luxury car all in one. I'm not opposed to a coupe, but prefer sedans.

The car I really want is an F11 M5 (an M5 wagon)... but BMW does not make this like they did with the E60.

The second car I would want is a F11 M550dx.. but BMW does not import this to the states (if they did I would definitely go stage 5 and smoke all of you at the drag strip)

The third choice of car? well this is where i get conflicted... Do I go look at other brands since I am very much interested in a very high performance wagon, or do I look elsewhere?

This weekend, I did go out and test drive a MB E63S AMG Wagon... it had 7 miles on it and was like 1 of 15 in the country right now... my wife and I both found it powerful, but disappointing in most other aspects.

So now I sit wondering which direction to go... pretty much anything is on the table... staying with an M5 would let me get the full experience of a car I'm not even going to get a year out of... New M3 or a Vette? Both seem cool and could save some bucks, but I think I would miss some luxury and I like the wider cockpit of the 5. New P-car? probably can't afford the one I want right now... and I already prefer driving the M5 over porsche (though I have no 2013/14 model year time).

Right now, I am tending toward another M5, but going the full individual route to make it unique to me and having it for long term ownership...

What are your thoughts?
Hey CONGRATULATIONS! Having a child is the GREATEST thing in the entire world hands down! I have a 9 yr old boy and a 16 mo. old boy. You're going to discover what TRUE love is my friend. Will even bring you and your wife closer together.

And THANK YOU and GOD BLESS YOU for your service. We take what you guys do for us for granted all too often. Without you we wouldn't have the luxuries that we do today and none of us would be talking about what sweet rides we have. Sure wish the White House and Congress spent more time focusing on "cheering on" our heros instead of fighting over the dumb stuff.

And you know my suggestion on the car I am sure...

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 01-15-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Hey CONGRATULATIONS! Having a child is the GREATEST thing in the entire world hands down! I have a 9 yr old buy and a 16 mo. old boy. You're going to discover what TRUE love is my friend. Will even bring you and your wife closer together.

And THANK YOU and GOD BLESS YOU for your service. We take what you guys for granted all too often. Without you we wouldn't have the luxuries that we do today and none of us would be talking about what sweet rides we have. Sure wish the White House and Congress spent more time focusing on "cheering on" our heros instead of fighting over the dumb stuff.
I whole heartedly agree with everything Coldlist said

As a European, living in a country once occupied by Nazi Germany, I definitely appreciate what the allied forces did back then for our freedom. And the Marshall aid!!! We are indebted to those who serve to protect freedom and democracy, sometimes preserving those core values just by the mere presence or knowledge of the armed force's existence.

And congrats on the child!

Audi RS6 would be nice, but not sold in the US?

M550d would possibly be a let down after the M5... On paper it's allmost as quick, but it suffers from lag and lacks involvement (compared with the M5). It has a great engine noise filtered thru to the cabin though
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
zil
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Congratulations! CLS 63 S-AMG Shooting Brake facelift might be a option. In my opinion it looks fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zil View Post
Congratulations! CLS 63 S-AMG Shooting Brake facelift might be a option. In my opinion it looks fantastic!
Now that's a good idea!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

For some reason I'm more curious on what planes/jets.

The M5 full individual is a fun process. Just give yourself about 2-3 months of working with them. Then add some lead time for individual spec car.

The Panamera GTS is nice. Exhaust button option is a must. It's such a nice car.. interior build quality is really something else. A step above M5 for sure (and I own an individual M5). By the way this is probably a good car for moving a kid around in. You can setup a car seat in the trunk and he can look out that rear window.

Like RPI said, there really isn't many choices. When you return there will probably be more to look at and think about.
      01-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Hey CONGRATULATIONS! Having a child is the GREATEST thing in the entire world hands down! I have a 9 yr old buy and a 16 mo. old boy. You're going to discover what TRUE love is my friend. Will even bring you and your wife closer together.

And THANK YOU and GOD BLESS YOU for your service. We take what you guys for granted all too often. Without you we wouldn't have the luxuries that we do today and none of us would be talking about what sweet rides we have. Sure wish the White House and Congress spent more time focusing on "cheering on" our heros instead of fighting over the dumb stuff.

And you know my suggestion on the car I am sure...
AMEN! I was going to post something, but I could not make either of these two points any better than Coldlist did!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
You got a lot of time to think about this. By then LCI 6 series and LCI Mercedes CLS will be out. Jaguar's new crossover will be out. There's a good chance the F15 X5M will be released as well as maybe the F16 X6M.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
There's a good chance the F15 X5M will be released as well as maybe the F16 X6M.
Cool! Are they making the M? I heard heard it was 86'd.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
There's a good chance the F15 X5M will be released as well as maybe the F16 X6M.
Cool! Are they making the M? I heard heard it was 86'd.
They're definitely making it. I saw the X5M prototype tester myself when I visited M HQ during my European Delivery in September. And it looked as close to production as the M4 at that time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They're definitely making it. I saw the X5M prototype tester myself when I visited M HQ during my European Delivery in September. And it looked as close to production as the M4 at that time.
Very nice. Would have been a disappointment.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Thanks for all the nice words, everyone!

Definitely have some research to do...
      01-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #17
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Congrats man!
Individual M5!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
So I received two pieces of good news
Congratulations on both accounts.

Quote:
though I suspect I will just have to get over this in a lot of areas now, not just my cars.
The OCD is likely to remain; your tolerance threshold will need to increase

Quote:
New P-car? probably can't afford the one I want right now... and I already prefer driving the M5 over porsche (though I have no 2013/14 model year time).
Would you please elaborate on the driving experience M5 vs 911 - I've been driving the M5 in heavy rain and it's surprisingly capable, even on PSS tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post

Would you please elaborate on the driving experience M5 vs 911 - I've been driving the M5 in heavy rain and it's surprisingly capable, even on PSS tyres.
Sure... I've got various behind the wheel experience in p-cars throughout the years. Currently, there is a 2002 996.c2 in my garage. It is definitely fun to drive, but I liken its fun to driving my motorcycle fun -- I am working more, connected more, when I drive to its full potential, its loud, higher RPM, and not necessarily that comfortable for a passenger who isn't into cars.

On the other hand the M5 continues to be the most amazing multi personality car I have ever owned. It can be sedate, it can be a monster. The power is ALWAYS available... even if I'm in 7th gear and 1300 RPM, I can get to 3rd gear and 6000+ rpm near instantaneously and be off like a rocket ship. It is always luxurious. It is the private jet for the road! I think this post explains it best. I have had no issues with it in any weather... I drive it when its 20 degrees out, no problem... i choose to avoid snow and ice because I have other 4WD options, but never fear about rain (I did 160 on the autobahn in the rain with no worries).

All that said... I need to get real seat time in a new 911-- I suspect they will provide most of my desires as well, minus two seats. (I won't go cayenne/boxster/otherwise -- the do not connect with me viscerally). Truth be told, new P-cars are still about 20-40k outside of what I want to spend. At this point in time, I am apt to save up for a GT3 and look to get one in 2017 around the time I retire from the AF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
For some reason I'm more curious on what planes/jets.
Since you asked... this is a B-1:

Here's a video of me doing a "show of force" for some spec forces guys (used to scare bad guys, make them stop shooting at our troops):
      01-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #20
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sure... I've got various behind the wheel experience in p-cars throughout the years. Currently, there is a 2002 996.c2 in my garage. It is definitely fun to drive, but I liken its fun to driving my motorcycle fun -- I am working more, connected more, when I drive to its full potential, its loud, higher RPM, and not necessarily that comfortable for a passenger who isn't into cars.

On the other hand the M5 continues to be the most amazing multi personality car I have ever owned. It can be sedate, it can be a monster. The power is ALWAYS available... even if I'm in 7th gear and 1300 RPM, I can get to 3rd gear and 6000+ rpm near instantaneously and be off like a rocket ship. It is always luxurious. It is the private jet for the road! I think this post explains it best. I have had no issues with it in any weather... I drive it when its 20 degrees out, no problem... i choose to avoid snow and ice because I have other 4WD options, but never fear about rain (I did 160 on the autobahn in the rain with no worries).

All that said... I need to get real seat time in a new 911-- I suspect they will provide most of my desires as well, minus two seats. (I won't go cayenne/boxster/otherwise -- the do not connect with me viscerally). Truth be told, new P-cars are still about 20-40k outside of what I want to spend. At this point in time, I am apt to save up for a GT3 and look to get one in 2017 around the time I retire from the AF.

Since you asked... this is a B-1:

Here's a video of me doing a "show of force" for some spec forces guys (used to scare bad guys, make them stop shooting at our troops):
Awesome flying!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
Gents:

I already prefer driving the M5 over porsche (though I have no 2013/14 model year time).

Try the New 911s. They are more user friendly. They have a softer ride, nicer interior, and not as much road noise / tire noise being picked up.

The 2002 you mention is a harsh ride, a lot of tire noise comes through, many road imperfections and vibrations. Some people like me actually enjoy that involved feeling of the car.

What ever car you choose, dont forget, the M5 is a car that has enough performance and enough luxury to balance the two out. Anymore towards the Luxury side it becomes a Lexus, anymore to the performance side, it becomes to much like the E60 was to live with everyday (Which i actually sometimes wish it was like the E60.)

Any Porsche car you will chose, and since you dont want to consider anything other than the 911, you have to remember that the car was originally designed to take corners, scream its like out at 7K + RPM, and be a low to the ground harsh drive, especially if you considering a GT3 for the future. Throughout my experience of cars, and Iv had a quite reasonable amount of time in many different cars, BMW is the best compromise between sport and luxury, and some performance things had to be sacrificed to meet the demands of luxury. I had also reached the conclusion that you cant just get into a Porsche and be expected to fall in love with it the first time, especially after the M5. You will sit for a day or two, or three, and finally something in the back of your head will finally click and say " Shit, I want to drive it again", something that makes you really enjoy the car, even though its not as fast as the M5, might not be as a comfortable car, but when you drive it, all of that luxury thought seems to disappear. Even though there are 2 front seats in the Porsche, and 2 seats in the back, the car was made for one person only.... the driver!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #22
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Epic. Thanks for the video