F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > First time auto transmission - any tips?
GetBMWParts

01-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

First time auto transmission - any tips?

May sound a bit weird, but I'm going from manual to auto (8AT) for the first time, I've driven autos every now and then but only as hire cars for the day and never owned one before.

Are there any specific tips on driving an auto correctly? I know that they can't be towed or driven (coasted) in neutral, for example.

My expectation is that hill starts will be simpler as no roll back so no need to do the foot/hand shuffle (not that it's difficult anyway).

Shout up if I'm being dense or over-complicating!

Thanks,
Saj
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I too haven't owned an auto for many years.

I'm expecting a much more relaxed and easier drive
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Well the classic rule which will always apply is Do Not use your left foot.. Forget about it, and that would take time for you to get used to..

With auto start/stop function, it can be annoying with auto's.. if you don't have your foot on the brake firmly, it can be quite temperamental and that car switch on and off will drive you mad... (i.e. off for 1 second, then back on!)

If you're sitting at the lights you can always press the P (park button) and relax your feet and the car will switch its self off.. Once your ready to go, switch the lever back to D and that car will kick alive in no time...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
erbo73
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d xDrive and i8

Only move the gearlever from D to R (or vice versa) when at absolute standstill to be gentle with the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

As a first time auto user I'm also interested to see if there are any tips to get the best out of the car.

The biggest problems I'm experiencing so far are:

Pushing the stick forward to make the car go backwards and backwards to make the car go forward

Reaching for the gear stick to change down on approach to a turn etc

Keeping my left foot still!

Apart from that, I'm impressed with the auto box. As a manual born and bred driver, I have no regrets even if the choice was somewhat forced on me.
      01-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

I'm on my fith auto and the best advice I can give you is this:

Once the car is run in and warm find an empty stretch of twisty B road, move the lever left and have fun with the flappy paddles

Oh also if our other halfs car is a manual (like mine is) remember to change gear if you drive it

Other than that enjoy the easy relaxed drive an auto can be especially in traffic.

One of my favourite things with the F30 is it puts itself in park when you turn the engine off .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #7
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Can you use the paddles in D to force a change up/down?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:46 AM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Yes you can. I you want to drop a gear or two you can. It will then revert back to auto D mode a few seconds later.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
Yes. They will then revert back to auto after a few seconds.
However, if you move the gearstick to the left for Sport mode and then use the paddles it will not revert back to auto until you pull the lever back to the right.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:
Yes you can. I you want to drop a gear or two you can. It will then revert back to auto D mode a few seconds later.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #11
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post

Once the car is run in and warm find an empty stretch of twisty B road, move the lever left and have fun with the flappy paddles
In the elder generations such as (e46, e90) this was necessary. I find in the F30, pushing the gearbox alone to the leftً (sports) it's not as fun as pressing the drive settings to Sports!

With that the, my suspension becomes more firm, so does the steering and more importantly, the throttle.. It's almost like what the M3's do with sports/power buttons.

Like you said, then just find a B road!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #12
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Put some Velcro on your left shoe!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #13
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

I drove a manual for 15 years before making the switch, although I had driven my father's auto from time to time so it wasn't a totally new experience. I found I got used to it very very quickly and I don't find it difficult switching between manual or auto. As others have said, you'll need to accustom yourself to not using your left foot but, other than that, there's nothing to it.

Driving an auto (particularly a well powered one) makes for a much more relaxing and luxurious driving experience - little things like multi-storey car parks and slow-moving traffic become much easier because you are not having to muck about with a clutch every 5 seconds. And, when you want to drive it like it's stolen, you can simply chuck it in sport more and/or use the manual mode. You can also use 'kick down' (literally flooring the accelerator) when you want to drop a cog - or you can do this with the paddles or in manual mode.

The only thing I would say (and I've said this before) is that I find it far less instinctive to drive an auto in manual mode for too long - there's something lacking in the feedback of paddles and tiptronic which, for me, comes from the feel and placement of a conventional gated gear lever. That and the fact that 8 gear ratios is a lot to think about! Like others I have only used manual mode for the occasional gear changes but tend to revert to auto fairly soon after.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

My advice to anyone with an auto, "learn to use the finer features of the box", "experiment". Learn to use the throttle to give you changes when you want them, (harder in the 8-speed as it is pretty much on the ball most of the time), but in 'normal driving' a small blip on the throttle will give you a down change, or a slight ease off, an up change, if you want one.

The comment on the paddles used in D, reverting back to Drive after a few seconds, that is all dependant on how you are driving, throttle settings, etc. If you are on the overrun or descending/climbing hills then the box will hold on for much longer. I use the paddles on hills and I've gone over 0.5 mile in the same gear while in D, even need to use the paddles again to "up a gear" as the box holds on. Not always just a couple of seconds to revert back to Drive.

Another feature I use, is flicking the gear stick to sport and back to break any driver adaption. Say you are in traffic and dawdling along and are getting ready to overtake. Wakes the box up ready for action.

For a faster more responsive overtake from steady driving, the other way is just flick the stick to sport, overtake and flick straight back to Drive as you gain speed or complete the overtake. Saves a full kick-down and using top revs if you don't need them. Remember the box can block change 8th to 2nd in one change if you load the throttle fast enough. That is pretty aggressive in the 535i, so not always what you really want with passengers in the car. There are the other ways to get similar but smoother progress.

Also learn the speed you apply the brakes and throttle instigate gearbox changes, same as a fast throttle lift off will hold gears.

The boxes are clever bits of kit, drive them right and they work with you, or they can feel as if they are a bit strange if you don't know why they react certain ways. Throttle lift off is one area where some users feel the box has lost the plot, but always remember the box is interpreting your inputs as part of the gearbox strategy. It can wait for your input, or takes time to see you are not going to continue the way you set it up.

Go out and have fun.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #15
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Yes. They will then revert back to auto after a few seconds.
However, if you move the gearstick to the left for Sport mode and then use the paddles it will not revert back to auto until you pull the lever back to the right.
Thanks as well Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #16
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My advice to anyone with an auto, "learn to use the finer features of the box", "experiment". Learn to use the throttle to give you changes when you want them, (harder in the 8-speed as it is pretty much on the ball most of the time), but in 'normal driving' a small blip on the throttle will give you a down change, or a slight ease off, an up change, if you want one.

The comment on the paddles used in D, reverting back to Drive after a few seconds, that is all dependant on how you are driving, throttle settings, etc. If you are on the overrun or descending/climbing hills then the box will hold on for much longer. I use the paddles on hills and I've gone over 0.5 mile in the same gear while in D, even need to use the paddles again to "up a gear" as the box holds on. Not always just a couple of seconds to revert back to Drive.

Another feature I use, is flicking the gear stick to sport and back to break any driver adaption. Say you are in traffic and dawdling along and are getting ready to overtake. Wakes the box up ready for action.

For a faster more responsive overtake from steady driving, the other way is just flick the stick to sport, overtake and flick straight back to Drive as you gain speed or complete the overtake. Saves a full kick-down and using top revs if you don't need them. Remember the box can block change 8th to 2nd in one change if you load the throttle fast enough. That is pretty aggressive in the 535i, so not always what you really want with passengers in the car. There are the other ways to get similar but smoother progress.

Also learn the speed you apply the brakes and throttle instigate gearbox changes, same as a fast throttle lift off will hold gears.

The boxes are clever bits of kit, drive them right and they work with you, or they can feel as if they are a bit strange if you don't know why they react certain ways. Throttle lift off is one area where some users feel the box has lost the plot, but always remember the box is interpreting your inputs as part of the gearbox strategy. It can wait for your input, or takes time to see you are not going to continue the way you set it up.

Go out and have fun.

HighlandPete
Great write up there Pete, very useful info.

An early trip will be to Derry, so either get the ferry from Holyhead-Dublin and drive from there, or experience the lovely Scottish roads and get Cairnryan-Belfast ferry.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
The only thing I would say (and I've said this before) is that I find it far less instinctive to drive an auto in manual mode for too long - there's something lacking in the feedback of paddles and tiptronic which, for me, comes from the feel and placement of a conventional gated gear lever. That and the fact that 8 gear ratios is a lot to think about! Like others I have only used manual mode for the occasional gear changes but tend to revert to auto fairly soon after.
I moved to autos in 2002 with the 5-speed ZF gearbox, as it was the first really decent auto I'd ever driven, (my time goes back to 3-speed autos ), then into the 6-speed and now the 8-speed. I agree it takes some concentration to keep the 8-speed on the boil in manual mode. So easy just to leave in drive with occasional manual intervention, stick or paddles.

Must admit I've gone into "I must drive in manual mode today", start out doing all the right moves... drive through the glen and get to a village and have completely forgotten I'm in manual mode (box down changes itself as it does at low rpm), until I pull away.... and wonder why I'm hitting over 5k revs.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #18
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

First auto for me too. Drove them once of twice before but never owned one. Enjoying it so far. Still struggling to find a use for my left arm and left leg though. Feel like I'm paralysed down one half of my body! Also, at traffic lights I feel like I should be doing something else!

I'm surprised at how much geared braking the gearbox does. If you go from about 40mph and let the car roll to a stop you can feel each gear slowing the car as it drops down. I assumed it would just roll to a stop as if the clutch was held in.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #19
Gizzard
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Awesome 335d xdrive

Quote:
May sound a bit weird, but I'm going from manual to auto (8AT) for the first time, I've driven autos every now and then but only as hire cars for the day and never owned one before.

Are there any specific tips on driving an auto correctly? I know that they can't be towed or driven (coasted) in neutral, for example.

My expectation is that hill starts will be simpler as no roll back so no need to do the foot/hand shuffle (not that it's difficult anyway).

Shout up if I'm being dense or over-complicating!

Thanks,
Saj
This is my first auto too. Can anyone explain to me why you cannot 'coast' in neutral ?
Regards
Giz
Previous.. a lot
First.. Vauxhall Viva HC
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
This is my first auto too. Can anyone explain to me why you cannot 'coast' in neutral ?
Regards
Giz
First, got to ask why you'd want to? Even with a manual transmission it has never been recommended to coast in neutral, (you can read the reasoning in the official DSA driving manual).

Besides, 'idling' an engine typically uses more fuel when coasting on the overrun, than using gears and throttle correctly. Historically an auto needed "all parts running" to keep oil pressures up for gearbox lubrication, keeping the TC filled with oil and enabling correct gear change function. Still does to a degree, even with oil accumulators to cope with the latest NIC (Neutral Idle Control) and Sail mode (controlled coasting) now being fitted to some models.

Also not recommended to switch to neutral when sitting in traffic, NIC takes care of that, just leave in Drive and forget.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #21
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Quick question regarding ASS and the 8 SP Auto:

If i stop at the lights for example and the engine turns off, it will turn back on if i put the handbrake on and lift my foot off the brake. i don't really want to stand on the brake for 2-3 mins while waiting for the lights plus i am sure the drive behind will not be too happy.

In this case do i simple press the 'P' and place the transmission into park? i was told doing this puts more pressure on the transmission and should be avoided (my journey to work each day could see this being used 20-30 times per day)?

as i like the idea of ASS is there a way to stop the engine turning off at say a roundabout? (as most of the time there is no point in allowing the engine to turn off). i did read that you can press the brake harder after you have stopped which should stop the ASS kicking in but i have not managed this as yet. (this would also be good in traffic when you stop for 2-3 seconds and then inch forward)

is the 'P' designed to hold the car or simply lock the transmission in case the driver forgets the handbrake? or should you always make sure the care is held on the handbrake before selecting 'P'?

Does the F30 auto have a brake hold function? so when you are on a hill the car does not roll backwards while the engine is being turned back on from an ASS off?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad View Post
I'm surprised at how much geared braking the gearbox does. If you go from about 40mph and let the car roll to a stop you can feel each gear slowing the car as it drops down. I assumed it would just roll to a stop as if the clutch was held in.
Depends how you are driving, an auto (including the 8-speed) can and will coast down without engine braking. For example in Drive, typically just easing off the throttle does not instigate a down change to get engine braking. Faster throttle lift off (particularly from higher speeds) triggers down changes. Sport mode changes the game.

My car will coast down (say from 40 mph to 0 mph) with no more than 1,200 rpm maximum, as it self changes at around 1,000 rpm on the run down. Typically I need to 'paddle' the down changes, if I want engine braking.

I'm in a petrol, but my last 330d diesel and any other examples I've driven work just the same.

Interesting our latest VW Caravelle Bluemotion with DSG box disengages the gearbox when ever you completely lift of the throttle, engine goes to idle, strange feeling.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0