F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Windscreen and rear screen misted up when stood for a while
Studio RSR

01-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Windscreen and rear screen misted up when stood for a while

I've noticed this a couple of times now with my car that when I've driven the car somewhere, then left it for an hour or so, when I return the windscreen is misted up and rear screen too.
I leave the climate/air con permanently on so when I start the car it de-misted in about 3-4 minutes, but I dont see any other cars parked up with this same misting.

Anyone else noticed this when their car has been parked up for a while?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
I've had it a couple of times recently as soon as I get back in. I checked, and there's no leaks. Put it down to the cold, and also how the mats will probably be damp with getting in and out :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Couple of things to check, are you leaving the re-circulation on as well as the A/C? (no fresh air coming in), or a leak somewhere? Are the carpets damp? Also check you haven't got leaves or debris blocking the filters under the windscreen area (external), mine are getting blocked this time of year and I'm pulling bits of leaves out weekly at the moment (this could again prevent fresh air coming in)
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks chaps.

I always leave the re-circulation button in the off position (ie no lights on). I'll check the carpets next time this happens and will check the leaves under the bonnet.

I've also noticed a bit of condensation in the headlamps too.

I think it could well be a combination of temperature\weather and hopefully it will go away.

Just interested if anyone else has had these issues really.....

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I always leave the re-circulation button in the off position (ie no lights on). ....
I'm pretty sure you are meant to have the left of the two recirc lights on for the 'normal' position. This is with the car in auto mode where it recirculates if it senses contiminates. The right hand light on is forcing to recirculate e.g. If you see smoke up ahead

No lights will let air in regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #6
ThreethirtyDee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

Quote:
Thanks chaps.

I always leave the re-circulation button in the off position (ie no lights on). I'll check the carpets next time this happens and will check the leaves under the bonnet.

I've also noticed a bit of condensation in the headlamps too.

I think it could well be a combination of temperature\weather and hopefully it will go away.

Just interested if anyone else has had these issues really.....
This shouldn't happen, especially in a new car

The cause is damp inside your car which is not good. My wife often leaves a damp umbrella in the footwell so check for anything like this especially wet mats/carpets. If you can't find the source it's likely to be in the ventilation system so get a dealer to investigate.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I echo the above IMO this should not be happening in a new car especially to the headlights.

I would get the dealer to check that out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I've noticed this a couple of times now with my car that when I've driven the car somewhere, then left it for an hour or so, when I return the windscreen is misted up and rear screen too.
I leave the climate/air con permanently on so when I start the car it de-misted in about 3-4 minutes, but I dont see any other cars parked up with this same misting.

Anyone else noticed this when their car has been parked up for a while?
Definitely a sign of high moisture content in the car, whether self induced like has been mentioned, from getting the carpet mats wet, or there is ingress of water. From observation, it doesn't take much of a wet carpet mat to cause the misting issue.

Re the comments on the auto recirculation, using auto-recirculation won't cause misting. I've used auto-recirc' continuously in my last 3 BMWs without any issue, and I have more damp and humidity up here than most will ever have to cope with. We have anti fogging sensors and the system will detect the need for fresh air anyway, so won't lock into total recirculation when it is working correctly. It only closes to the outside when necessary, even then it is restricted by a strategy which cycles fresh air into the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
I echo the above IMO this should not be happening in a new car especially to the headlights.

I would get the dealer to check that out.
Headlights obviously won't be related to the cabin, but remember either problem can be caused by severe weather and rapid temperature swings.

Both my E91 and current F11 show misting in the lights when we have severe weather. Dries out after a short while, (usually within an hour from stopping). Never viewed this as an issue, but more normal behaviour when driving in heavy rain, or it is damp for prolonged periods.

If the lights stay damp and misted all the time, then there is clearly a problem.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

The car had been stood overnight and I've just been out and checked and ALL windows are completely clear of misting. The headlights are also clear too. The weather has been cold and raining/damp around our way today.

So it appears the misting happens under these circumstances:
  • Got in the car and initially no misting after being stood all day (last night was about 5:15pm).
  • Drive around 15-20 mins and park up. (note, heater is quite warm in the cabin by this time).
  • Come back to the car about 1-2 hours later and the windscreen is about half to three quarters misted up - but misted from the left and right sides with a slight gap of clear down the centre of the windscreen (will take some pics next time this happens). Outside temp is about 3 Deg C.
  • Rear window completely misted and took a good 5-10 mins of (slow!) heated window to clear it.
  • The front screen dismists in about 3 mins with AC on and windscreen blower on.
  • 15-20 mins journey home and parked on the drive. Again cabin got quite warm.
  • Went back out a few hours later and windscreen misted up again.
  • As above, checked this morning and its all fine today.

The couple of occasions this has happened have been in the evening, when its dark (and obviously colder than in the day).

The car is only over a month old with 1200 miles.

Also, I'm sure I had this happen a couple of times on one of my E90s and certainly my last E90 had misting in the headlamps, again when the car was not that old.

Maybe its a case of (in the dealers words...) "...they all do that sir....", or I've just been damn unlucky with a couple of cars!!!

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
The car had been stood overnight and I've just been out and checked and ALL windows are completely clear of misting. The headlights are also clear too. The weather has been cold and raining/damp around our way today.

So it appears the misting happens under these circumstances:
  • Got in the car and initially no misting after being stood all day (last night was about 5:15pm).
  • Drive around 15-20 mins and park up. (note, heater is quite warm in the cabin by this time).
  • Come back to the car about 1-2 hours later and the windscreen is about half to three quarters misted up - but misted from the left and right sides with a slight gap of clear down the centre of the windscreen (will take some pics next time this happens). Outside temp is about 3 Deg C.
  • Rear window completely misted and took a good 5-10 mins of (slow!) heated window to clear it.
  • The front screen dismists in about 3 mins with AC on and windscreen blower on.
  • 15-20 mins journey home and parked on the drive. Again cabin got quite warm.
  • Went back out a few hours later and windscreen misted up again.
  • As above, checked this morning and its all fine today.

The couple of occasions this has happened have been in the evening, when its dark (and obviously colder than in the day).

The car is only over a month old with 1200 miles.

Also, I'm sure I had this happen a couple of times on one of my E90s and certainly my last E90 had misting in the headlamps, again when the car was not that old.

Maybe its a case of (in the dealers words...) "...they all do that sir....", or I've just been damn unlucky with a couple of cars!!!

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!!
Just a thought - are you doing lots of short journeys? I never have this issue however many of my journeys are 2-3 hours so the car can 'bake' itself dry.

With shorter journeys and the inevitable moisture from clothes, shoes, coats in this weather I'm not entirely surprised. Just check nobody left a dead body in the boot.
      01-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
Just a thought - are you doing lots of short journeys? I never have this issue however many of my journeys are 2-3 hours so the car can 'bake' itself dry.

With shorter journeys and the inevitable moisture from clothes, shoes, coats in this weather I'm not entirely surprised. Just check nobody left a dead body in the boot.
Thats a good point Mark, I do A LOT of short journeys.

My drive to work is only about 10 mins and on the whole, dont drive much above 20 mins in it max. (Waits to get slated for buying a diesel with DPF )

Oh, and last time I checked there was nothing dead in the boot.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #13
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
I think that's what it is. Mine was doing it over the hols when I was at my Dad's house. Much shorter journeys. Back to normal at home, and no sign of it!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #14
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:

My drive to work is only about 10 mins and on the whole, dont drive much above 20 mins in it max. (Waits to get slated for buying a diesel with DPF )

Haha, never mine being slated but I think you just found an excuse for a hour long needless trip this afternoon.

My wife had similar issues with her E88 Convertible - having travelled just over 10,000 miles in 2 years
      01-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #15
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

My missus has done about 1200 miles in her Fiesta since it was brand new 18 months ago....... and she never complains of misting in her car....(obviously short journeys too)

But there again.... she never uses it..

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #16
E34E39F30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive

Speculating here, but air at 20°C (typical warmed-up interior temperature) can hold about twice the moisture (water vapour) of air at 10°C [and even more so of air at 5°C etc]. So as the interior cools down, you'll get condensation on a 10°C [/ cooler] surface if the initial level of water vapour in the air (when you turned of the air con with the car) was above 50% [/ some lesser percentage] of the saturation level. I don't know what the air con system does by way of scrubbing water vapour from the cabin's air, but it clearly doesn't eliminate it all (or we'd have very dry mouths). Maybe it takes a while to stabilise the water vapour content?

I'm guessing too that the likely source of this water vapour isn't damp mats etc - it's probably you, through respiration (think breathing out on cold glass).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

With the detailed description you posted earlier, and the emphasis on a LOT of short trips it could simply be the combination of factors.

I sense most of the country is currently seeing weather which I'm typically used to dealing with up here.

I know exactly what you are talking about, see it a lot up here in Lochaber Highland Region, as we are used to high humidity and wet getting into cars just through normal use. Get a bit of snow into a car and when the weather warms you can imagine the amount of cars which have misting because of a bit of damp in the carpet mats, misting can go crazy. Add the fact that the typical AC function cuts out at sub 3/4C and we lose the dehumidifying function, this also aggravates the problem.

I've taken the carpet mats indoors in the past, to dry them out if we have a period of heavy rain or snow and sense it is about to get out of control. I try and air my car on a good and windy day, just to keep the cabin humidity levels low. Currently have no issues of misting at all, but does need planning and thinking about to keep it so.

Just ensure you have no obvious leaks into the car, like leaking inner door membranes, first evidence is moisture or misting on the door sill plates, typically tracks over the door seals and into the carpets. Look for any other evidence of wet getting in, including the boot.

BTW, I think you know the score on the diesel and short trips. Won't add a word.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E34E39F30 View Post
I'm guessing too that the likely source of this water vapour isn't damp mats etc - it's probably you, through respiration (think breathing out on cold glass).
I think you could be correct there. And I've noticed that there is more misting on my side against the passenger side where the missus sits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
With the detailed description you posted earlier, and the emphasis on a LOT of short trips it could simply be the combination of factors.

I sense most of the country is currently seeing weather which I'm typically used to dealing with up here.

I know exactly what you are talking about, see it a lot up here in Lochaber Highland Region, as we are used to high humidity and wet getting into cars just through normal use. Get a bit of snow into a car and when the weather warms you can imagine the amount of cars which have misting because of a bit of damp in the carpet mats, misting can go crazy. Add the fact that the typical AC function cuts out at sub 3/4C and we lose the dehumidifying function, this also aggravates the problem.

I've taken the carpet mats indoors in the past, to dry them out if we have a period of heavy rain or snow and sense it is about to get out of control. I try and air my car on a good and windy day, just to keep the cabin humidity levels low. Currently have no issues of misting at all, but does need planning and thinking about to keep it so.

Just ensure you have no obvious leaks into the car, like leaking inner door membranes, first evidence is moisture or misting on the door sill plates, typically tracks over the door seals and into the carpets. Look for any other evidence of wet getting in, including the boot.

BTW, I think you know the score on the diesel and short trips. Won't add a word.

HighlandPete
Some good points there Pete. I live in North Wiltshire, so wouldn't normally experience the weather you have! I'm sure I have no leaks but will check. TBH as I've noticed this before on my other 3 series cars, I'm guessing its probably the pattern of driving I do, distances etc...

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0