F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sealant
GetBMWParts

01-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #1
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Sealant

Has anyone applied a paint sealant to their new car themselves? I really can't afford to pay anyone to do a job I can do myself....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I would read the how to guides on detailing world mate.

Normal sealants aren't too hard to apply IMO but I wouldn't tackle quartz coating myself as don't have the time or facilities to do so.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #3
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, I'll have a look....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

A lot of those sealants that last years rather than months need time to cure, and can't get wet in betweeen etc. I don't have the time or facilities for that either so will be paying for it to be done as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
A lot of those sealants that last years rather than months need time to cure, and can't get wet in betweeen etc. I don't have the time or facilities for that either so will be paying for it to be done as well.
Yes agreed, I looked into doing this myself and decent paint sealer needed at least 24 hours to cure and my car won't fit in the garage, if it's done professionally at least you know it will be applied correctly, cured and then waxed afterwards etc...
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
It will likely be some of the best money you spend on your car.

A professional detail protects, looks great and makes cleaning much easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
It will likely be some of the best money you spend on your car.

A professional detail protects, looks great and makes cleaning much easier.
How long will the protection last?

I don't trust my skill or patience to do a good paint sealant job on my new F30 when I collect in March but if I knew that it could be done well by someone for less than say £300 AND it would last* for a couple of years, I'd be very interested.

* noticeable difference after prolonged exposure to 'real world' conditions, not some lab or TV ad evidence.

Genuine question - am I expecting too much for the protection durability or the cost?
      01-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
You can get very hard wearing coatings but cost increases in line with longevity.

You get what you pay for as they say.

Best bet would be to call a good detailer and get their recommendations on the best balance per buck!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

One thing to consider if you want to 'detail' your own car once it's been 'detailed' professionally is that you can't wax / nano seal your own motor if it's had the likes of a G-Techniq treatment from new.
Apparently you can't go over the top of a G-Techniq application (a Crystal Laquer Based product) with a Polymer Based product. This means your original sealant coating will need to be machine polished off completely before other coatings can be applied. Now if you don't mind using a machine polisher on your motor then that's fine but I don't have the time to strip back my sealant and start again to be honest.
I'm a keen car cleaner so I would prefer a treatment that I can go over myself to try out other products on the market. I would be very skeptical of any product that says it will give you several years of protection.
I went for a Polymer Based Sealant so I can have a go with other nano-techs, waxes and polishes in the summer. This will then just keep adding to the protection rather than starting from square one again.
The main reason I chose a professional 'detail' was to give my car a thorough inspection before collection. The car is completely checked inside and out so any paint defects would've been picked up and noted to my dealer. Worth every penny if you ask me.
I know my car will need Clay Barring at some point but I will deal with that as and when.

Please note that I am far from experienced in this field but these are my findings having spoke to many professionals.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You can get very hard wearing coatings but cost increases in line with longevity.

You get what you pay for as they say.

Best bet would be to call a good detailer and get their recommendations on the best balance per buck!
Wouldn't a detailer 'talk up' their more expensive treatments?

Also, where to find a 'good' detailer? I don't even know where to get it done:-
At the dealers before collection (do most dealers allow it?);
Nearer home but I'd lose the car for a day or two and it would have 200+ miles of 'contamination'.

My main worry is giving a so-called good detailer £300 for a half-hearted half-day job with £30 worth of chemicals OR finding that even after a 'good' job was done the reality is the protection starts to wear after 6 months and is non-existent after a year.

01-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
One thing to consider if you want to 'detail' your own car once it's been 'detailed' professionally is that you can't wax / nano seal your own motor if it's had the likes of a G-Techniq treatment from new.
Apparently you can't go over the top of a G-Techniq application (a Crystal Laquer Based product) with a Polymer Based product. This means your original sealant coating will need to be machine polished off completely before other coatings can be applied. Now if you don't mind using a machine polisher on your motor then that's fine but I don't have the time to strip back my sealant and start again to be honest.
I'm a keen car cleaner so I would prefer a treatment that I can go over myself to try out other products on the market. I would be very skeptical of any product that says it will give you several years of protection.
I went for a Polymer Based Sealant so I can have a go with other nano-techs, waxes and polishes in the summer. This will then just keep adding to the protection rather than starting from square one again.
The main reason I chose a professional 'detail' was to give my car a thorough inspection before collection. The car is completely checked inside and out so any paint defects would've been picked up and noted to my dealer. Worth every penny if you ask me.
I know my car will need Clay Barring at some point but I will deal with that as and when.

Please note that I am far from experienced in this field but these are my findings having spoke to many professionals.

Good luck!
Interesting, especially about using a detailers services to effectively check the paint and trim before collection. I wonder if many dealers allow this as they could start trying to blame the detailer once he had got his hands on the car.
      01-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
Interesting, especially about using a detailers services to effectively check the paint and trim before collection. I wonder if many dealers allow this as they could start trying to blame the detailer once he had got his hands on the car.
To be honest I would probably pay an inspector the same amount as my Detail cost me if it meant my car was checked over thoroughly before handing over my hard earned cash.
I don't think they would have a case for blaming the detailer though.
Just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Do it yourself isn't a bad option, certainly don't pay the dealers to do it as they just rub over a washed car with a supaguard sponge and buff off 10-15 mins later.

If you're going to part with £100s then get a pro to do it as they'll properly polish and prep the paintwork to remove any defects marks from transit etc before sealing the car.

Personally I went for DIY, initially I was going to buy the supaguard sponge that the dealers use (£10 from ebay) but in the end used some Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, needed an hour to cure but did a fab job and was incredibly easy to use and buff off (I'm your average ham fisted car washer) and if I keep it coated with a decent wax it'll certainly protect the car for 2-3 years.

My handiwork:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
To be honest I would probably pay an inspector the same amount as my Detail cost me if it meant my car was checked over thoroughly before handing over my hard earned cash.
I don't think they would have a case for blaming the detailer though.
Just my opinion...
I was thinking of a detailer pointing out a light scratch or two and the dealer saying it was fine until the detailer spend time with the car.

I like the idea of paying a good detailer to spend a full day with the new car at the dealer so I can collect it fully protected for a year or two. I'm not sure it will work like that in reality though.
      01-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bow View Post
Do it yourself isn't a bad option, certainly don't pay the dealers to do it as they just rub over a washed car with a supaguard sponge and buff off 10-15 mins later.

If you're going to part with £100s then get a pro to do it as they'll properly polish and prep the paintwork to remove any defects marks from transit etc before sealing the car.

Personally I went for DIY, initially I was going to buy the supaguard sponge that the dealers use (£10 from ebay) but in the end used some Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, needed an hour to cure but did a fab job and was incredibly easy to use and buff off (I'm your average ham fisted car washer) and if I keep it coated with a decent wax it'll certainly protect the car for 2-3 years.

My handiwork:
Looks great! I presume it beads nicely and grime is easier to wash off than it would be otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
A lot of dealers won't allow detailers to work on the car at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg
Quote:

My handiwork:
Looks great! I presume it beads nicely and grime is easier to wash off than it would be otherwise?
Beading looks great, although I haven't needed to wash it yet (did the work last week) the torrential rain we've had since I applied it means it's been pretty much self washing.

Only thing I'm still considering is how to coat the windows, have used rainX in the past which is good but I don't like the smearing on the wipers, may just do the sides and much needed rear (coming from a hatchback I still reach for the rear wipe only to be dissappointed)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Quote:

Good luck!
Where did you get that info from

I may have picked you up wrong, but once professionaly detailed with nano/ceramic protection & wax coatings, what's to stop putting extra layers of wax on ?
My motor has Max Protect sealant, without any wax coating. It has lasted almost 10 months, without any top up of waxing. Carefully washed over the past months. It's due a top up. Although the beading isn't too great now, but still impressive. Agree it isn't cheap but worth it in the long run.
Wouldn't let my dealer/valet anywhere near my motor before it was delivered
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
Scoobsheister
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i MSport Moonstone

I've just detailed my car today - see new thread raised for pictures - and i used a sealant (Werkstat Acrylic Kit for paintwork, Planet Polish for wheels and exhausts).

There really isn't anything complicated to it, the products I have used are middle of the road products and would expect around 3 months or so if you weren't going to top it up at some point but the joy of sealants is that most you can just spritz another layer on the car after your usual wash to add to the protection.

Take anyone advising you that a coating will last 2 to 3 years with a pinch of salt - most coatings will require topping up to maintain protection levels.

Last edited by Scoobsheister; 01-04-2014 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: added text
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:49 AM   #20
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
A very basic clean which is used to do all the time simply entailed - wash, clay bar, wash, dry with micofibre towel, apply AG super resin polish, buff, cure, apply AG HD wax, buff.

This always left a lovely finish and the protection lasted for a few months but you could top up with a quick detailer to prolong this.

Products cost about £50 and took about 3 hours or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:20 AM   #21
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Only thing I'm still considering is how to coat the windows, have used rainX in the past which is good but I don't like the smearing on the wipers, may just do the sides and much needed rear (coming from a hatchback I still reach for the rear wipe only to be dissappointed)
Let us know what you decide/how you get on, this is something I need to look into - not used RainX for donkey's years.
      01-05-2014, 04:38 AM   #22
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
A very basic clean which is used to do all the time simply entailed - wash, clay bar, wash, dry with micofibre towel, apply AG super resin polish, buff, cure, apply AG HD wax, buff.

This always left a lovely finish and the protection lasted for a few months but you could top up with a quick detailer to prolong this.

Products cost about £50 and took about 3 hours or so.
Almost exactly the same regime for me. However, I use DoDo Juice. Their supernatural range costs a wee bit more but it's worth it. I put in a quick hand polish stage occasionally, after clay baring, if I feel I need a bit more shine.

Finish with DoDo Supernatural carnauba wax, sealed with its matching Supernatural acrylic sealant spritz.

3-4 hours work, 3-6 months protection. More if you don't have to remove paint contamination, tar soots etc, by starting again. You can just top up with the sealant spray to extend the 3-6 months to about a year before too much normal dirt is caught in the wax layer and must be removed.

For normal washes I use the matching DoDo Juice Supernatural Shampoo at the correct concentration. Apparently it is sympathetic to the wax/sealant longevity.