F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rattle
Extreme Powerhouse

01-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Rattle

I have a slight rattle coming from the rear, sounds like a clicking (or like wires knocking on the rear glass).

I only happens on some road types and oddly after the car has been drive for more than 10-15mins.

I am guessing it is either the parcel shelf, Rear Brake light (the one in the rear window, not sure how i remove the plastic surround without breaking clips etc) or some wiring under around the seats.

I am not going down the route of getting the dealer to fix it as it will come back with more rattles, so has anybody had the same thing and fixed it or have any suggestions?

I initially thought it was maybe the wires for the rear seat release (as i have the through loading system) but i have taped these down and it has not fixed the issue.

I have also looked at the rear seat belts, but that is also not the issue.

NOTE: it is an F30 with the HK audio system.

Other than this f**cking rattle i am loving the car, it is much better than my E92 330d
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Take it for a drive with a friend in the back seat who can try and home in on the source. Such noises are annoying but fixable. Good luck tracking it down.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Loose warning triangle or tool kit?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I had a clicking noise coming from the rear parcel shelf on my E90, driven me around the bend and I know how you feel.
It was in and out the dealer several times and they never fixed it. They claimed to have changed the whole parcel shelf on the last occasion - which seem to cure the problem for about 2 months - then the noise came back.

Hope you get it sorted.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
I have a slight rattle coming from the rear, sounds like a clicking (or like wires knocking on the rear glass).

I only happens on some road types and oddly after the car has been drive for more than 10-15mins.

I am guessing it is either the parcel shelf, Rear Brake light (the one in the rear window, not sure how i remove the plastic surround without breaking clips etc) or some wiring under around the seats.

I am not going down the route of getting the dealer to fix it as it will come back with more rattles, so has anybody had the same thing and fixed it or have any suggestions?

I initially thought it was maybe the wires for the rear seat release (as i have the through loading system) but i have taped these down and it has not fixed the issue.

I have also looked at the rear seat belts, but that is also not the issue.
I've got a similar problem with a rear sear rattle. Haven't found it yet. Checked the safety seat covers, seat belts, seat belt lock, and parcel shelf. I suspect it's the mid-seat head rest (testing today). When turned down it might be causing the problem. Don't know yet.

Quote:

Other than this f**cking rattle i am loving the car
My thoughts exactly. Got to find that rattle.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

I had a problem with the e91 after an accident and I was getting a rattle from the steering rack after I had it back from the garage.Again it was only when the car was warm. It turned out to be the hydraulic pipes for the power steering, now im not too sure how much heat goes through the brake hydraulics and how much expansion is in the pipes. B Just thought id mention it!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I know the back box on the 428i I'm driving makes a very annoying rattle, glad it's not mine
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I get a very slight rattle from the rear seat when going over pot holes. Its alright otherwise when driving on smooth roads. Its maybe something to do with the split rear seats, who knows.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I have a rattle or a noise coming from the rear near side door (I think).. It sounds like its coming from the rubber sealants as if the door is not properly locked.. I notice it more when the car is cold and driving at low speeds...

Took the car to Cooper's and as per usual, they couldn't find a fault..

As for the boot, with M Performance spoiler, it won't pop the boot up open, again Cooper's couldn't fix!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
I have a rattle or a noise coming from the rear near side door (I think).. It sounds like its coming from the rubber sealants as if the door is not properly locked.. I notice it more when the car is cold and driving at low speeds...

Took the car to Cooper's and as per usual, they couldn't find a fault..

As for the boot, with M Performance spoiler, it won't pop the boot up open, again Cooper's couldn't fix!
That sounds like the rubber seals, rubber hardens in the colder weather. Just get some rubber cleaner, conditioner and keep applying. I had the same thing on my 120d but went after a month of application.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Thank you, will try make a trip to Halfords tomorrow and hopefully it will work.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Both our F30s are totally rattle free. But then we have sensible 18" wheels (beautiful and delicate looking IMO) and Adaptive Suspension, mostly driving in Comfort Mode.
      02-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Both our F30s are totally rattle free. But then we have sensible 18" wheels (beautiful and delicate looking IMO) and Adaptive Suspension, mostly driving in Comfort Mode.
My f31 is too. Last two cars had rattles. The Audi s3 needed some padding by the roof grab handles and the 120d needed rubber conditioner on the seals which appeared to be a common problem on the e87. My new 3 series is fantastic, not had a single problem. Touch wood.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
That sounds like the rubber seals, rubber hardens in the colder weather. Just get some rubber cleaner, conditioner and keep applying. I had the same thing on my 120d but went after a month of application.
I used BMW gummi fledge on the door rubber on the e92, worked a treat. The seals are supposed to be maintenance free (just keep clean) but i wasn't so sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Thompjas
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320d Sport

My daughter complained of an annoying rattle in the rea of our F30, she investigated and it turn out to be the centre console, just under the rear vents. She stuffed paper under one side and got a temp fix.

It went into Wollaston BMW in Northampton last week and they found that the internal air duct was tapping on the side of the console - all now sorted and rattle free !!

Previous New Car - X1 Sdrive M Sport - returned it - hated it

Old Car - F30 320d ED in Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
bembara
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post

Did you ever fix the rattle?

I think I have the same problem and believe it's the shelf. It occurs mostly when the body twists, like when going over a bump with just right rear wheel, or front left.

I was able to produce the same sound by pushing the shelf up from inside the trunk (there is an opening in the sheet-metal that shelf is mounted on). I tried to just stuff a cotton towel through that opening as a temp fix and took it for a ride. While it seemed like it helped a little it didn't eliminate it completely.
Appreciate 0