F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > iPhone music Apps
proTUNING Freaks

01-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

iPhone music Apps

I have my iPhone connected via USB to pro nav. The proprietary iPhone music app works fine, but when I try and play music via a 3rd party app, it works for about 10 seconds then defaults back to the iPhone proprietary music app. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I have a similar thing when using Spotify; the car wants the default back to iTunes... I re-paired the phone and made sure iTunes was fully closed (i.e. quit the app rather than just close it), the situation improved.

I still have to reopen Spotify and press play after I start the car. Interestingly the only way it works seamlessly is when I have no iTunes music at all.
      01-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow Id like to think it would work better than that. I'll have another crack tomorrow doing what you said.

Cheers Mark
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Why not use Napster instead? I've been using it and the integration is great...
I have a free 30day trial and after that I'll be keeping it instead of Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI
I may try that, problem is I get Spotify for free with my Virgin Broadband...
      01-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
Yeah I've got spotify for free too. Plus a couple of other music apps that I'd like to use too.

Is it the same with EBT?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
A little off topic....
Do you mean you get Spotify Premium for free with Virgin? I've got Virgin and be interested how you get this? I've logged into my Virgin account and cant see how you set this up?

Many thanks.

Edit, think I've found the answer. It appears Virgin is offering Premium free for 3 months (ie just 2 months more than anyone can sign up for with Spotify). Doesnt look like its a permanent thing so would have to start paying for Premium after 3 months, the way I read it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 01-03-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Isn't spotify premium just free now?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray335d View Post
Nope Premium is £9.99 a month.
I think all they have done recently is allow free Spotify to be available to phones and tablets whereas they charged for it before.
With the free version you get the ads, with Premium, you don't get ads and can download tracks/albums to listen offline.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Arwmjc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
U using napster thru iphone? I have a note 3 and was wondering if napster is gonna work as well thru that phone...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #11
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Edit, think I've found the answer. It appears Virgin is offering Premium free for 3 months (ie just 2 months more than anyone can sign up for with Spotify). Doesnt look like its a permanent thing so would have to start paying for Premium after 3 months, the way I read it.
In theory, yes. I signed up for the 3 month free trial in August and so should have paid from November 1st. For some reason its still free on mu account so I don't want to 'rock the boat'. I don't feel bad for Virgin anyway, they're running bas***ds - even if they are going to give me 150Mb broadband in a few weeks...

Quote:
Mine is!

Quote:
Yeah I've got spotify for free too. Plus a couple of other music apps that I'd like to use too.

Is it the same with EBT?
Spotify seemed to be the one that 'just worked', unlike iTunes cloud or waterer it is. If I switch to an unlimited data tariff I may change my mind.

I have the EBT option with cradle. Music playback is better quality through the cradle but you'd only notice when comparing back to back with the same song. The problem with playing through the cradle is the black panel doesn't display the song (and the next one to select) like it does when using bluetooth. It's a flawed system for sure, at least with IOS 7 - I may dig out an old iPhone and see if older software makes it better (I've heard it might).

Probably the 'best' option is to use your white Apple sync cable, plugged into the armrest USB. That way you can easily control the phone without looking down. Problem is its a) illegal and b) not what we're all looking for in an 'integrated' solution.
      01-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Just to clarify this is the same issue as mine.

3rd party music apps, spotify in my case, won't play connected via USB..?

As I've started to use spotify more and more and itunes less, only way for me to get that to work is via the bluetooth. Is that the same for everyone?
      01-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #13
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post

As I've started to use spotify more and more and itunes less, only way for me to get that to work is via the bluetooth. Is that the same for everyone?
Yep exactly as mine. I don't have enhanced Bluetooth so can't stream apps. My only choice is via the Apple USB cable in the armrest.

If anyone knows how to stop it defaulting back to iTunes please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #14
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwmjc View Post
U using napster thru iphone? I have a note 3 and was wondering if napster is gonna work as well thru that phone...
If you have EBT, you can stream it, but you won't be able to control it with iDrive.

Unfortunately Napster integration with iDrive is limited to iOS at the moment. It doesn't work on Android, and it was one of the things made me move back to iOS from my Nexus 4.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by browellm View Post
If you have EBT, you can stream it, but you won't be able to control it with iDrive.

Unfortunately Napster integration with iDrive is limited to iOS at the moment. It doesn't work on Android, and it was one of the things made me move back to iOS from my Nexus 4.
I can control it to the extent of moving moving through tracks backwards and forwards. Just to add, I do have EBT.
      01-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #16
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwmjc View Post
Yes, I'm using an iPhone 5 and it works great
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #17
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I used Spotify with no issues at all from my iPhone 5. Admittedly it wasn't fully integrated and you had to control it via the phone (unlike Napster which you can control everything via Idrive) and sometimes it would keep displaying the same song even though the track had changed.
Napster is the same price so I would advise changing if you can...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #18
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI
Quote:

I used Spotify with no issues at all from my iPhone 5. Admittedly it wasn't fully integrated and you had to control it via the phone (unlike Napster which you can control everything via Idrive) and sometimes it would keep displaying the same song even though the track had changed.
Napster is the same price so I would advise changing if you can...
Sounds like a plan then, thanks for the info.
      01-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #19
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a plan then, thanks for the info.
No problem With Napster you just open the app on your iPhone and it will show up on your Idrive. Select it from the menu and you're away!
You can also search the Napster database and populate your playlists through Idrive whilst on the move. Much to my wife's enjoyment
The only downside I guess is like any Idrive Apps you can only run one at a time and it means you can't use your phone for anything else otherwise the App will pause. On the plus side though it forces me not to check my messages until I get to my destination :roll eyes:
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #20
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
No problem With Napster you just open the app on your iPhone and it will show up on your Idrive. Select it from the menu and you're away!
You can also search the Napster database and populate your playlists through Idrive whilst on the move. Much to my wife's enjoyment
The only downside I guess is like any Idrive Apps you can only run one at a time and it means you can't use your phone for anything else otherwise the App will pause. On the plus side though it forces me not to check my messages until I get to my destination :roll eyes:
Going off topic slightly, how does Napster compare to Spotify?
      01-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmmm checked it today and Spotify works fine. It's some of the other apps that default back to iTunes. Need to play more with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Going off topic slightly, how does Napster compare to Spotify?
Similar amount of tracks I believe and I actually prefer the user interface through my iPhone. They do a 30 day free trial so I'd recommend you trying it out and seeing for yourself if you can.
tbh, if BMW had a Spotify app then I wouldn't of bothered swapping. I just want to be as integrated as possible and the cost of both services are the same anyway.
Casual users will have no complaints about Napster's sound quality, but unfortunately it's not as good as Spotify's. The maximum bit rate is 192kbps, which will put off true audiophiles when tracks on Spotify are (mostly) available at 320kbps.
Music streaming bit rates are only a headache for those who have seriously invested in their audio systems. I specced HK and thought the lower bit rate would be an issue but so far I haven't really noticed any quality issues. I'm sure a true audiophile would beg to differ
Lots of people stream via EBT anyway which I believe is only around 160kbps. If I want higher quality tracks then I will either use my iPod or better still a CD.
If you are looking for the best quality, Napster isn't for you right now.
Things might change with customer demand so watch this space...
Hope that helps?
Appreciate 0