F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Sport 350D
ARMA SPEED

01-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
LEWISJOHN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive m sport on order

M Sport 350D

Let's start an online petition to get BMW to build a 350d using the six cylinder engine from the M50D X5.
381BHP
750NM Torque .
Sounds like it could be quite quick
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Won't happen. BMW would never sell an M3 again.

I've been thinking about this and reckon it's all about the model hierarchy. In BMW's marketing world, a 5 is better than a 3 and an M is better than a non-M. BMW allows a 50D in some cars because the M5 has 500+ bhp. It therefore doesn't steal M5 sales. The M5 needs 500+ bhp because if it didn't, M5 customers would all buy M3s. M3s cannot have 500+ bhp because if they did, nobody would buy an M5. Likewise, a non-M 3 series cannot have anything close to the M3 in power output as it would kill the M. So why not launch an M3d? Because an M is a purist's performance car and purists don't buy diesels.

All bollocks of course but that's marketing and BMW only do it because they think it's what we believe.

Actually, there already is a kind of M3d - in the form of the Alpina D3. If I could live with those horrible wheels I reckon the D3 would be my next car. I love my 330d but I want more power, I don't want petrol, I don't want xdrive and I don't want a car weighing 1800kg. If enough people think like me and switch to the D3 en mass, BMW might change its mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

^^ exactly this. Very well put sir.

And yes, those Alpina wheels are nasty.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I'm sure I read a while back when this engine was first announced that it wouldn't fit in the 3 series though. Also interesting to note that this engine doesn't feature in any car without xdrive too (M50d, X5 and X6).

I did hope that there would be a M335d of some sort, but there really hasn't been any talk of it in the press. My first thoughts on our 335d is that it is certainly a fast car that handles and rides well, but it lacks a certain "sportiness".

I do feel that BMW need to do more with the M-lite brand... as Audi have with the S badged cars... they all look a step up from the standard range, but not quite an RS, whereas a 335d/i looks exactly same as the 318, except for exhaust or size of the brakes, but only an anorak would actually notice that!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
mactrack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240iX

I did read that the latest revision of the N57 3.0 diesel engine will have 330PS and feature in the X3 LCI and 740d first but will no doubt make it's way to the 5er and 3er in due course.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Now, don't anyone go getting too excited but...

I did some coding today (I'll post details elsewhere) and one of the parameters I wanted to 'play with' was the welcome logo within the black panel combo display.

Look what options came up in the software:

M3
M4
340i
50d

Maybe, just maybe....

Name:  photo-1.JPG
Views: 3355
Size:  132.3 KB

P.S. God knows why the image rotates - not uploaded that way but I can't be ar**d to try fixing it - you get the idea.
      01-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
Now, don't anyone go getting too excited but...

I did some coding today (I'll post details elsewhere) and one of the parameters I wanted to 'play with' was the welcome logo within the black panel combo display.

Look what options came up in the software:

M3
M4
340i
50d

Maybe, just maybe....

Attachment 959560

P.S. God knows why the image rotates - not uploaded that way but I can't be ar**d to try fixing it - you get the idea.
Nice find....I hear BMW are launching a reworked version of the 35i engine. Fits in nicely with an LCI 340i.....Ooooh what a thought
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Nice find....I hear BMW are launching a reworked version of the 35i engine. Fits in nicely with an LCI 340i.....Ooooh what a thought
...and I may not need a diesel for much longer due to a potential job move... ooooooh yes
      01-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #9
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Never gonna happen!

I can't even see them doing a power pack for the 335d....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #10
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I'm sure I read a while back when this engine was first announced that it wouldn't fit in the 3 series though. Also interesting to note that this engine doesn't feature in any car without xdrive too (M50d, X5 and X6).

I did hope that there would be a M335d of some sort, but there really hasn't been any talk of it in the press. My first thoughts on our 335d is that it is certainly a fast car that handles and rides well, but it lacks a certain "sportiness".

I do feel that BMW need to do more with the M-lite brand... as Audi have with the S badged cars... they all look a step up from the standard range, but not quite an RS, whereas a 335d/i looks exactly same as the 318, except for exhaust or size of the brakes, but only an anorak would actually notice that!
I actually prefer that. Audi TDi drivers look in their mirror and come over all Lewis Hamilton because they see a "318d reps car" in their mirror. Then when their 140hp 4 banger quickly runs out of puff they get to hear the Straight 6 going by on full chat

That and you don't get every baseball wearing chav in their Corsa SXi wanting to try to burn you off the lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
I actually prefer that. Audi TDi drivers look in their mirror and come over all Lewis Hamilton because they see a "318d reps car" in their mirror. Then when their 140hp 4 banger quickly runs out of puff they get to hear the Straight 6 going by on full chat

That and you don't get every baseball wearing chav in their Corsa SXi wanting to try to burn you off the lights.
I know what you mean, and that's partly why we've de-badged our car, I don't feel the need to shout about what engine I have (also makes cleaning and polishing easier). However I still think there should be more visual differentiation.. I would know an Audi S4 even if it was de-badged.

The other analogy I would make is like that of nice clothes... I have some nice clothes, designer or whatever you want to call them, but nothing with a label or a badge... how I know is the quality of the fabric, design, details, fit... I certainly wouldn't mistake it for the high street stuff I have. That's what I think the mindset should be when it comes to the 335d/i or Mperformance cars.

I suppose you get a touch of that with the Individual paints and interiors, but it's not quite the same as a standalone sub-M range topper.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68
Quote:

I love this - lost count of those people who assume my car is a 320 only to be surprised. Best bit is, I've had a 320 so understand it's strengths (cornering!!).
      01-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
I know what you mean, and that's partly why we've de-badged our car, I don't feel the need to shout about what engine I have (also makes cleaning and polishing easier). However I still think there should be more visual differentiation.. I would know an Audi S4 even if it was de-badged.

The other analogy I would make is like that of nice clothes... I have some nice clothes, designer or whatever you want to call them, but nothing with a label or a badge... how I know is the quality of the fabric, design, details, fit... I certainly wouldn't mistake it for the high street stuff I have. That's what I think the mindset should be when it comes to the 335d/i or Mperformance cars.

I suppose you get a touch of that with the Individual paints and interiors, but it's not quite the same as a standalone sub-M range topper.

You and most car enthusiasts would. To everyone else it's just an A4 same as the base spec 2.0l TDi Bob in sales drives.

I see where you are coming from but I feel that my quality clothes don't need to shout. A quality suit is lovely to wear even if all the Kevins and Kevina's couldn't tell it from a "Primark Special".... those in the know, know... everyone else is irrelevant. Same with the car. I know it is quick and if I feel the need to show someone that I'll do it by going quick not by spurious bolt on "fluff". I've even considered removing the 335i badges off the back so only the exhausts and blue brakes are a give away to those "In the know"

It's the opposite with wrongly badged //M or AMG cars. If you know cars you know it ain't an M Car or an AMG car and if you don't know cars you don't know what an M Car is and don't care.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You and most car enthusiasts would. To everyone else it's just an A4 same as the base spec 2.0l TDi Bob in sales drives.

I see where you are coming from but I feel that my quality clothes don't need to shout. A quality suit is lovely to wear even if all the Kevins and Kevina's couldn't tell it from a "Primark Special".... those in the know, know... everyone else is irrelevant. Same with the car. I know it is quick and if I feel the need to show someone that I'll do it by going quick not by spurious bolt on "fluff". I've even considered removing the 335i badges off the back so only the exhausts and blue brakes are a give away to those "In the know"

It's the opposite with wrongly badged //M or AMG cars. If you know cars you know it ain't an M Car or an AMG car and if you don't know cars you don't know what an M Car is and don't care.
Isn't a 335i/335d a Primark special (316i) with silk lined pockets instead of nylon?

A wise man once told me "Never buy the most expensive house in the street". I think that applies to cars in a way too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Isn't a 335i/335d a Primark special (316i) with silk lined pockets instead of nylon?

A wise man once told me "Never buy the most expensive house in the street". I think that applies to cars in a way too.
LOL. Yup.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

i think it's he other way around... always buy the least expensive house on the most expensive street you can afford!

The car analogy would be that a lower spec 5 is a better option that a higher spec 3... Given the debates on whether a 5 is more refined than a 3 it makes sense... as always comes down to what's more important to you!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #17
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
i think it's he other way around... always buy the least expensive house on the most expensive street you can afford!

The car analogy would be that a lower spec 5 is a better option that a higher spec 3... Given the debates on whether a 5 is more refined than a 3 it makes sense... as always comes down to what's more important to you!
Correct on the houses, but I don't think I'd rather be driving a 520d than the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i think it's he other way around... always buy the least expensive house on the most expensive street you can afford
I always condense things
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #19
Zagga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 Mothership

You buy the best engine that fits your need. Body shape (model) is irrelevant unless you're trying to impress the neighbours IMO.

The enthusiasts would choose a 6 cylinder 1/3 series over a 4 cylinder 5 series any day of the weeks wouldn't they.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Correct on the houses, but I don't think I'd rather be driving a 520d than the 335i.
Well it wouldn't quite be a 520d, more like a 525d M sport with Sport Auto in reality, but I get what you mean.

If 'status' was of importance, the 5 would be seen as the better vehicle by the masses
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Won't happen.

Actually, there already is a kind of M3d - in the form of the Alpina D3. If I could live with those horrible wheels I reckon the D3 would be my next car. I love my 330d but I want more power, I don't want petrol, I don't want xdrive and I don't want a car weighing 1800kg. If enough people think like me and switch to the D3 en mass, BMW might change its mind.
Yep I was thinking just this, the D3 is way quicker than most BMW's, change those wheels and get rid of the decals, and thats a great car.
      01-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

Why buy the house when you can buy the Street?.