E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Akebono brake question

01-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Akebono brake question

Sensor just alerted me I need new pads, And Akebono is on sale place for brakes 55% off, I was just wondering if anyone that has ordered them. Do they come with the sensors? If not I was going to order the cheap Uro brand from ECS tuning...? what could go wrong..LOL Thanks guys!

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-330....0L/ES2534770/

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...&car_year=2006
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Princeton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335cxi

Sensors are separate from brakes. You need two - one for each axle - since they alerted you.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Just installed these pads, they don't come with sensors. Be careful when installing the sensors because they can break easy. I have a broken one zip tied to my control arm.....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Just installed these pads, they don't come with sensors. Be careful when installing the sensors because they can break easy. I have a broken one zip tied to my control arm.....
most definitely , I have thought about just clipping off the sensor like others have, it is easy to visually inspect the brakes anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
sbmin
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i

I installed Akebono pads 2 years ago. They are fantastic! Low to no dust, and stop the car as well as OEMs. Not as much initial bite, but that is not an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I have them for over a year, very happy, no reservation except that they take unusually long to set. After 1 k miles, much better feel tha oem. And no dust.

Go for the cheap sensor. It is just a fancy shaped resistor.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Been using Akebono Ceramic pads for a while now - almost no dusting, don't really notice any difference in braking (even though people say less initial bite).

The braking with these is more linear than OEM - OEM pads hit harder initially, then drop off - Akebono have same feeling thru out braking.

> Be careful when you order the Akebono's - most vendors list (2) styles of Front pads - (1) that have clips on the outboard pads, & (1) that do not have the clips - my 09' 328iX does not have clips on outboard Front pads.

Every vendor wanted to sell me the pads with clips, as that is what their part finder was telling them - I finally had to get email proof from Akebono that the pads without clips were proper for my car. I got my Akebono's on sale from TireRack.

So buy the appropriate front pads for your car...

> For sensors - I go with PEX from FCPEuro - they are around $15 for Rear & $17 for Front

BTW - neither of your links work
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
Fargus328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Been using Akebono Ceramic pads for a while now - almost no dusting, don't really notice any difference in braking (even though people say less initial bite).

The braking with these is more linear than OEM - OEM pads hit harder initially, then drop off - Akebono have same feeling thru out braking.

> Be careful when you order the Akebono's - most vendors list (2) styles of Front pads - (1) that have clips on the outboard pads, & (1) that do not have the clips - my 09' 328iX does not have clips on outboard Front pads.

Every vendor wanted to sell me the pads with clips, as that is what their part finder was telling them - I finally had to get email proof from Akebono that the pads without clips were proper for my car. I got my Akebono's on sale from TireRack.

> For sensors - I go with PEX from FCPEuro - they are around $15 for Rear & $17 for Front

I had the same issue as I have the same car. PEP Boys and everyone else kept qouting me the wrong part number. Plus the pads would not phtsically fit.. I was going insane. Went back to PB where we called Akebono from the parts desk and the Akebono rep actually asked me if I was SURE I had an xDrive. I made it clear that they were more likely to screw up the SKU numbers than BMW is at mislableing their cars.

I was put on hold and made it to Akebono's engineering department where they dicsovered a flaw in the part number data they have been pushing out to all suppliers in the country!

Bottom line... There is only 1 set of correct Akebono pads for my 09 328xi which are the same as the non-xdrive. They had a different part number set up for xdrive and they are just wrong.

They said they would fix the system ... not sure if they did but for now on I know to just get the Akebono non-xDrive pads and I'll be good.

All that being said, the brakes are awesome and practically dustless.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus328 View Post
I had the same issue as I have the same car. PEP Boys and everyone else kept qouting me the wrong part number. Plus the pads would not phtsically fit.. I was going insane. Went back to PB where we called Akebono from the parts desk and the Akebono rep actually asked me if I was SURE I had an xDrive. I made it clear that they were more likely to screw up the SKU numbers than BMW is at mislableing their cars.

I was put on hold and made it to Akebono's engineering department where they dicsovered a flaw in the part number data they have been pushing out to all suppliers in the country!

Bottom line... There is only 1 set of correct Akebono pads for my 09 328xi which are the same as the non-xdrive. They had a different part number set up for xdrive and they are just wrong.

They said they would fix the system ... not sure if they did but for now on I know to just get the Akebono non-xDrive pads and I'll be good.

All that being said, the brakes are awesome and practically dustless.
Cool! thanks guys, Just ordered them from tire rack, placeforbrakes had an "error" when submitting checkout. goodbye sweet Credit card number. Did you guys happen to get new rotors too? I was just going to get them resurfaced. they seem to be in ok shape.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I did get new rotors at 70k. I think they were originals. You have to measure thickness to see if they are worn or not. Even if they still look great, they could be too thin (safety hazard). If they have a substantial lip on the outside rim, they are probably too old.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:

Correct Akebono pad P/N's for my 09 328iX were:

EUR918A (Front - no clips) & EUR1267 (Rear)

Quote:
Did you guys happen to get new rotors too? I was just going to get them resurfaced. they seem to be in ok shape.
I haven't resurfaced a set of rotors for many years - just replace them with new - as resurfacing only makes the rotors thinner & more prevelent to heat damage.

When my BMW was under maintenance agreement they replaced both the rotors/pads 1X for free. The rotors all had a hella lip on outside edge @ replacement time.

Now that it is on my dime - I use the ECSTuning Geomet crossdrilled/slotted rotors and Akebono pads...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0