F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Remote
Studio RSR

01-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

BMW Remote

Is anyone using the BMW Remote App?

It used to allow flashing of headlights and/or beeping of the horn but this appears to have been dropped. Shame.

The "Vehicle Position" feature appears to be unreliable at best (in my experience, useless) so that only leaves the maps for send to vehicle. Maps is ok but you can do the same with a PC.

Am I missing something? Or, is there a completely new App I've missed?
      01-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
JackEssex
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post

It used to allow flashing of headlights and/or beeping of the horn but this appears to have been dropped. Shame.

The "Vehicle Position" feature appears to be unreliable at best (in my experience, useless) so that only leaves the maps for send to vehicle. Maps is ok but you can do the same with a PC.

Getting the same thing...the 'demo' still has the other functions listed.

Previous: F61 2.5d M Sport - Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Quote:

The "Vehicle Position" feature was unreliable on my Android phone until the last update. It works every time now, however its bloody slow, if I was looking for the car in a car park I'm not sure the app would not be fast enough to be of any use.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

I have the BMW remote app on my samsung phone and on my i pad and flashing headlights is still working using both devices.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders123 View Post
I have the BMW remote app on my samsung phone and on my i pad and flashing headlights is still working using both devices.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
chopperh
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEssex View Post
Getting the same thing...the 'demo' still has the other functions listed.

You need to go onto the connected drive website, login and authorise online services. It will ask you to add you own security questions. Once you do this you can access the other stuff. Also when you have done this delete the app and reinstall it. The position only works within a set distance something like 900 metres or so, which is a bit useless.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #7
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Works on mine.

When I changed from the E92 I had to re-register on the BMW Owners and add the VIN of the new car, then delete and re-install the app on my phone, then select the new car from the list and it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:

I use send to car. Like you, I find the other features unreliable and clunky. Btw how do you do send to car with a PC? I used to do this with Google Maps but it's changed and now can't for the life of me find how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #9
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
I use send to car. Like you, I find the other features unreliable and clunky. Btw how do you do send to car with a PC? I used to do this with Google Maps but it's changed and now can't for the life of me find how to do it.
I prefer to use bmw remote to send map addresses to car as send to car doesn't always work for me whereas bmw remote works everytime.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:02 AM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Search for somewhere in Google Maps. Click More, then Send.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:07 AM   #11
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
I think you have to go back to Classic Google Maps, as the new one may not support 'Send to Car' yet. Then follow what @dopper99 said.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3045828?hl=en
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Didnt even know there is a new Google Maps. I just access it from Google's home page and it goes to the same old maps.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #13
JackEssex
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperh View Post
You need to go onto the connected drive website, login and authorise online services. It will ask you to add you own security questions. Once you do this you can access the other stuff. Also when you have done this delete the app and reinstall it. The position only works within a set distance something like 900 metres or so, which is a bit useless.

Steve
Excellent thanks Steve.

I seem to remember the dealer saying something about this now...should have listened harder...but the voices in my head were saying 'just let me drive it'

Cheers.

Previous: F61 2.5d M Sport - Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #14
cr55
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d M Sport

^ +1,,

Web site set-up/configuration required,
Should be fine after that,,
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Didnt even know there is a new Google Maps. I just access it from Google's home page and it goes to the same old maps.
Be thankful - the new version is sh*t. Almost every aspect of it is worse than the old version. It is possible - at the moment - to go back to the old version if you're being presented with the new one.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I hadn't notice it change but it certainly is clunky:-

1. Open Google Maps and find your destination. Zoom in as required to make sure it is as exact as possible.
2. Right-click on your destination and select "Directions to here" from the drop-down that appears. A green marker will appear.
3. Left click on the green marker. Select "more", "send", "car". Change the "name" as required and change the "make" dropdown to BMW.
4. Enter your assist account name and click "Send". A dialog box will confirm that the message has been sent.

Go to your car. Use iDrive to select "Menu", "Connected Drive" and then "Messages". Select the message or wait for a bit if it doesn't show up straight-away. Press the "Options" button and then "Save in Car" (or similar) to save as a destination to select later. I usually edit the title to remove the " (Google)" suffix.

I tried the above recently for the Short/Medium stay car park at Birmingham Airport. The directions were spot-on and took me right to the barrier.

Hope this helps.
      01-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
james/69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d xdrive

it will all work when you go trough connected drive on pc or lap top
when you do this it will all come in to play
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #18
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Steve
Genius. I flashed my headlights! Fantastic.

Much appreciated help. Thank you so much.
      01-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #19
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
The position only works within a set distance something like 900 metres or so, which is a bit useless.

Steve
I assume this is a privacy thing, so that someone can't track your location, although they'd need your login/PIN etc to do it.

One thing I noticed recently when I idly tried the app when my car was at the dealers (a few miles away) was that although it didn't show me the location it did tell me that the ignition/engine was on (can't remember the exact words now).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
I hadn't notice it change but it certainly is clunky:-

1. Open Google Maps and find your destination. Zoom in as required to make sure it is as exact as possible.
2. Right-click on your destination and select "Directions to here" from the drop-down that appears. A green marker will appear.
3. Left click on the green marker. Select "more", "send", "car". Change the "name" as required and change the "make" dropdown to BMW.
4. Enter your assist account name and click "Send". A dialog box will confirm that the message has been sent.

Go to your car. Use iDrive to select "Menu", "Connected Drive" and then "Messages". Select the message or wait for a bit if it doesn't show up straight-away. Press the "Options" button and then "Save in Car" (or similar) to save as a destination to select later. I usually edit the title to remove the " (Google)" suffix.

I tried the above recently for the Short/Medium stay car park at Birmingham Airport. The directions were spot-on and took me right to the barrier.

Hope this helps.
Holy crap that is a lot of fecking around!

What i do is, pick up my phone, open tomtom, navigate to destination! That's it!
Next time i get in the car, open tomtom and it has the route already on the screen!

Simples!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defero View Post
+1
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #22
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Holy crap that is a lot of fecking around!

What i do is, pick up my phone, open tomtom, navigate to destination! That's it!
Next time i get in the car, open tomtom and it has the route already on the screen!

Simples!
It's actually really simple and a lot easier than navigating via a tom tom or a car's screen...not sure why some people are finding it such a chore.
Find your destination and click 'send to car'...that's it.
Appreciate 0