F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Registered before delivery ?
GetBMWParts

12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
cloudhopper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330d xdrive

Registered before delivery ?

Hi,
received the following e-mail today from my dealer 11:30 today

"Registration Mark: XXXX XXX - BMW 330d xDrive M Sport Saloon 3.0d

Your car has now been built and has arrived in the UK. We are expecting it to be with us soon after the 7th of January and we will confirm this once it has been allocated to a transporter to bring it to XXXXXXX

A Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) is attached for you to check over."

The thing is on the Vehicle Registration Certificate they have 31/12/13 as date of registration so I phoned them and the sales Liaison person said that it was normal for date of registration to be the day I collect the car. The salesman was not in so I will phone him on Friday about it but the Sales Liaison is new to the job and had to ask a colleague about it which didn't fill me with confidence,also with my car already having a registration number it has me a bit concerned.
Middle of January has always been estimated delivery date.
I have not signed and returned the VRC yet
Doesn't seem right to me what do you guys think

happy new-year when it comes
Cloudhopper
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
chizzy
Rep
Drives: 335d

Sounds like they've squeezed it in for the end of the Q, I assume it will now count towards Q4 targets etc...

Only downside for you is you loose a months Tax, it will now be up 30/11/14.

Bit cheeky I guess .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudhopper View Post
Hi,

Your car has now been built and has arrived in the UK. We are expecting it to be with us soon after the 7th of January and we will confirm this once it has been allocated to a transporter to bring it to XXXXXXX

The thing is on the Vehicle Registration Certificate they have 31/12/13 as date of registration so I phoned them and the sales Liaison person said that it was normal for date of registration to be the day I collect the car. The salesman was not in so I will phone him on Friday about it but the Sales Liaison is new to the job and had to ask a colleague about it which didn't fill me with confidence,also with my car already having a registration number it has me a bit concerned.

Cloudhopper
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzy View Post
Sounds like they've squeezed it in for the end of the Q, I assume it will now count towards Q4 targets etc...

Only downside for you is you loose a months Tax, it will now be up 30/11/14.

Bit cheeky I guess .
Very cheeky, he also loses a chunk of 'value' as it is a 2013 car not 2014.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
ken m sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d F36 Gran Coupe

Very cheeky, I would very unhappy if this happened to me. A call to the dealer principle on 2nd is called for.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Hi,

Cloudhopper
Hi mate,

My car got registered around 20th October and a registration was chosen and car registered for road tax HOWEVER. (This is what you probably wanted to hear) I never collected car till 30th October and when the actual v5 was delivered to me by post, it showed registration date as the 30th October

So what I think would happen, is the dealer would register the car and provide DVLA with collection date, and that date would be the registration date..

Hopefully it works your way..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I would be very unhappy with that as it should be a 2014/63 plate.

That will have cost you money. I'd be right on to complain.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Also to shed some light re road tax, as my car was registered on the 30th October, I thought I would lose 30 days on road tax, again However that's not what happened!

My disc showed 12 + 1 (months on it) so got full 12 months + the 2 days
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Definitely cheeky. I've ordered my car for a 14 plate. My dealer wants me to come in nearer the time and choose my registration... I've never had a new car before, though I'm sure my dad has had the choice of plate previously.

So, value issues aside it just sub-par. Also, as stated above, a months RFL lost!
Phone principal and ask for more off as you've been exploited for their success!

Last edited by Rich9600; 01-01-2014 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

Sounds like he's done it to get it in this years figures. My dealer pushed for this too and asked me to sign all the documents yesterday. I got an additional £350 off the car and a full tank a fuel for doing so. I'd demand compensating if I were you!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys relax, I honestly don't think the registration date on v5 would show as today... It would be the date of agreed collection! That's what's happened to me!

You won't lose on road tax as well! You will get 12+1 like i did.. The tax disc on mine reads 1st licence 12+1..

My money's on it, don't panic now.. Worst case scenario, if they have registered it today and it's showing today on V5, dealer can apply for alteration to DVLA and get the date amended.

Happy New Year and let us know what you hear from them
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

My car log book was actually sent to me before I picked up my car. My dealership were extremely keen to get it registered before the end of the month. And I lost a months tax in the process. Kept pushing for me to arrange the 7 day insurance so they could tax it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
cloudhopper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Guys relax, I honestly don't think the registration date on v5 would show as today... It would be the date of agreed collection! That's what's happened to me!

You won't lose on road tax as well! You will get 12+1 like i did.. The tax disc on mine reads 1st licence 12+1..

My money's on it, don't panic now.. Worst case scenario, if they have registered it today and it's showing today on V5, dealer can apply for alteration to DVLA and get the date amended.

Happy New Year and let us know what you hear from them
Yes I think( hoping ) you're right, it just seems a bit strange the way it was done, bit disappointed the salesman didn't contact me and explain.Everybody is on the piss now for 2 days up here so will give him a call first thing Friday morning , if he has a headache I could well be adding to it . will keep you all posted on outcome
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #13
Welchy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d

It won't be registered yet. I had this same form emailed to me and checked as I had refused to have mine registered in December when I am picking the car up on 4 th Jan.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 05:37 AM   #14
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

What's with all these 'emails'?

Do your dealers not pick up the phone and talk to you? It seems to lack the personal touch to simply be emailed this stuff. Not to mention the fact in this particular case it would have been a non-issue if the guy bothered to speak to the customer directly.

I cannot fault the way my order was dealt with, my car WAS registered early (just a few days) as there was a promotional BMW UK discount in my offer that the dealer would have lost if deliver had moved from September to October. I agreed for the car to be registered end Sept and took delivery 7 Oct. OK granted it wash't a 2013/2014 issue.

IMO it's about building a relationship with your sales guy. Sure I could have put my foot down and 'cost' the dealer £500 but next time I order from them (this was my 4th car!) my flexibility will pay back. They already wash my car when I fancy and let me drive other models when I wish!
      01-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

No big issue in registering Sept rather than October but December rather than January is a big issue. Give them a call and ask when the registration is but sounds very likely its a Dec registration for their benefit. Any compensation would need to be 4 figures to make up for your future loss of value.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #16
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Sounds like it has definitely been registered in December so that they can hit their targets. I've had this happen a couple of times now where the dealer has wanted to register the car even though they don't physically have it, I have always refused which the dealer wasn't happy about at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I think in hindsight, if people are ordering a car in Sep/Oct/Nov there could be a chance it could be ready by the end of Dec, wouldn't it be a good idea to tell the dealer UP FRONT when ordering the car that under no circumstances you want the car registered in Dec (if it was ready)?
I know this doesn't help the OP, but something to consider when ordering late in the year.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

When I was placing an order last year at Coopers, I was told delivery would be around last week of December, I insisted on having it registered January, even though the dealer tried to convince me there would be no financial difference between 2013 63/ 2014 63 which I didn't believe.. They tried to get me done on part exchange though, but I managed to sell my car privately which helped.

Re Choice of number plates, I was given a choice of about 10 number plates to choose from in this years order, again from Coopers.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Same thing happened to me. But I was too busy at the time and I could not be bothered to argue with them. Crafty sh!ts.
      01-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
cloudhopper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I think in hindsight, if people are ordering a car in Sep/Oct/Nov there could be a chance it could be ready by the end of Dec, wouldn't it be a good idea to tell the dealer UP FRONT when ordering the car that under no circumstances you want the car registered in Dec (if it was ready)?
I know this doesn't help the OP, but something to consider when ordering late in the year.
You are correct, it is something to consider if you are ordering later in the year and I did, but in this instance it shouldn't have been a issue considering the car when ordered in mid November had a scheduled build date around the middle of December and estimated to arrive at the dealers around middle of January which is still the case ( car due at dealers soon after 7th January and I received the following e-mail from the dealer on the 17th December

"just a short e-mail to let you know that your car has now been built and is being prepared to leave the factory shortly . We are still expecting it to arrive with us around the middle of January but we will update you further once your car arrives in the uk".
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

"just a short e-mail to let you know that your car has now been built and is being prepared to leave the factory shortly . We are still expecting it to arrive with us around the middle of January but we will update you further once your car arrives in the uk".
So? How did it go with the dealers? Was your car registered on December?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #22
cloudhopper
No_Country
Rep

Spot on MWA just as you said,received the following from the dealers yesterday :-
" The Vehicle Registration Certificate sent out to you has the provisional date of registration printed on it, ie the day the VRC was issued. On the day you pick up your car a new VRC will automatically be issued to reflect the actual date of registration. "

Happy now
Cloudhopper
Appreciate 0