Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Couple Tire Questions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Couple Tire Questions

hey guys wondering a few things...

if you have an lsd (on a rwd e9x)... would that be better for snow and/or deep snow? or would having only one tire spinning create less of a chance of spin out? because i could also see see it as if you're stopped and on a hill and you need traction to get up it, to have both wheels spinning would be better, no?...

second question is does the tread-wear rating (if the "traction" rating of the tire stays the constant AA) change traction results if the tread-wear is: 180 versus 400 for instance?

thanks again,... on a side note: i chose Yok ADVAN S.4. 's for my winter set-up here in NY.... because i will be driving back to miami and dont want poor winter tires for when i tear it up down there + dont want to change rims. waddia guys think of the choice, here ill link you for all you lazy people

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=Z

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
hey guys wondering a few things...

if you have an lsd (on a rwd e9x)... would that be better for snow and/or deep snow? or would having only one tire spinning create less of a chance of spin out? because i could also see see it as if you're stopped and on a hill and you need traction to get up it, to have both wheels spinning would be better, no?...

second question is does the tread-wear rating (if the "traction" rating of the tire stays the constant AA) change traction results if the tread-wear is: 180 versus 400 for instance?

thanks again,... on a side note: i chose Yok ADVAN S.4. 's for my winter set-up here in NY.... because i will be driving back to miami and dont want poor winter tires for when i tear it up down there + dont want to change rims. waddia guys think of the choice, here ill link you for all you lazy people

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=Z
1. By definition, an LSD will make your car more stable in slippery conditions such as rain and snow. So yes. An LSD equipped car will be better in snow than a car without LSD (all other variables being equal).

2. Try not to be misled by the treadwear ratings. Each manufacturer supplies their own number based on raw testing data. So this number is not useful for cross tire shopping. For example, a 600 rated Michelin tire will not necessarily outlast a 400 rated Pirelli tire. Or visa-versa.

The traction and treadwear numbers are obtained using two different methodologies. Do not assume there is a correlation between the two numbers. However...it seems like common sense that a softer/faster wearing compound (which likely would have a low treadwear rating) would also likely have a higher traction rating. But that may not always be the case.

To quote from TireRack:

Quote:
Treadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

Traction Grades

UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance.

The Traction Grade is determined by installing properly inflated test tires on the instrumented axle of a "skid trailer." The skid trailer is pulled behind a truck at a constant 40 mph over wet asphalt and wet concrete test surfaces. Its brakes are momentarily locked and the axle sensors measure the tire's coefficient of friction (braking g forces) as it slides. Since this test evaluates a sliding tire at a constant 40 mph, it places more emphasis on the tire's tread compound and less emphasis on its tread design.
The Yokohamas should be a good choice for an all season tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
thank you for the perfect responce! maybe i should have done more fishing in tire rack before i posted! look forward to your future posts, you seem very informative and helpful, and speedy to respond!

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
thank you for the perfect responce! maybe i should have done more fishing in tire rack before i posted! look forward to your future posts, you seem very informative and helpful, and speedy to respond!
You're welcome and thank you.

You have reminded me once again that I need to get a life outside of this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
AW335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
1. By definition, an LSD will make your car more stable in slippery conditions such as rain and snow. So yes. An LSD equipped car will be better in snow than a car without LSD (all other variables being equal).

2. Try not to be misled by the treadwear ratings. Each manufacturer supplies their own number based on raw testing data. So this number is not useful for cross tire shopping. For example, a 600 rated Michelin tire will not necessarily outlast a 400 rated Pirelli tire. Or visa-versa.

The traction and treadwear numbers are obtained using two different methodologies. Do not assume there is a correlation between the two numbers. However...it seems like common sense that a softer/faster wearing compound (which likely would have a low treadwear rating) would also likely have a higher traction rating. But that may not always be the case.

To quote from TireRack:

The Yokohamas should be a good choice for an all season tire.
Thank you for this info, i had the same question as well. This really helped me out
Appreciate 0