F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Motorola Moto G. An Android that works with Connected. Drive.
Extreme Powerhouse

12-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
NitramA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D modern

Motorola Moto G. An Android that works with Connected. Drive.

I though this might be of interest to anyone thinking about a new phone.

After much diliberation I had decided to get an iPhone 4S through my company when my old android was due for replacement.
I much preferred the android but all the posts on the subject seemed to say that iOS was better intergrated, so went with Apple.
Have to say that whilst the iPhone works OK, the in car experience wasn't particularly wonderful, especially as I'm running iOS7.

Parallel to this, my wife had a really old Samsung that needed replacement, so I looked around and the Moto g was getting good write ups so I bought her one from tesco at £99.

Have to say what a great phone!
As a phone it compares really well with the iPhone, arguably it's better, with a bigger brighter screen, but the real thing for me was when I connected it up to the car. It ran everything in Connected Drive and seems to play BT music (no music to test it with yet) but there is no need to reset the phone to switch between apps.

I can see old and new texts, last mile and the calendar. Twitter and Facebook show up as well but I don't care about that so haven't tested this.

Compared to the iphone I miss out on Eco pro Analyzer (who cares), Web Radio(possibly more of a loss) and News.

Looks like I'm going to ditch the iPhone and go to Tesco, get the phone unlocked and use that instead for a fraction on the cost of an Apple.

One disappointment is that you can only have either USB or BT music connected, not both, but then that's the case for both Apple and Android. More of a BMW or technical issue.

FYI I've a 2014 F30 with NBT and EBT(coded).

Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Bought my partner one of these for Christmas. Great phone.

Google phones like my Nexus 4 and the Moto G are supposed to have full connectivity if running 4.4 kitkat os.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D Min Grey Beige Reg 3/2014

Interesting. I want to make use of moderate BMW F30 phone functionality etc by using bluetooth and Iphones are expensive, aren't they.. Tesco and Phones RUS have Moto G for £12 or so a month so I guess Daz and Nitram are saying this is a goer with their favourable experiences.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I have e Google Nexus 4 which integrates fine. Moto G is a great phone for the money.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitramA View Post
I can see old and new texts, last mile and the calendar.
When you set up the bluetooth options for the phone in iDrive do you get the option to select office? I only get to tick Telephone 1, Telephone 2 and Audio. I have the same issue with my iPhone too.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post
When you set up the bluetooth options for the phone in iDrive do you get the option to select office? I only get to tick Telephone 1, Telephone 2 and Audio. I have the same issue with my iPhone too.

^^
Same for me...

Running a Samsung S3 & I can only have messages and contacts as an option in office.

Tried a few things when I first got the car to integrate email but just accepted it after a couple of weeks .

EBT music streaming works fine..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles Ken View Post
Interesting. I want to make use of moderate BMW F30 phone functionality etc by using bluetooth and Iphones are expensive, aren't they.. Tesco and Phones RUS have Moto G for £12 or so a month so I guess Daz and Nitram are saying this is a goer with their favourable experiences.
As I say I'm a moderate user but got Moto G yesterday.

paired OK and transferred contacts fine. I' m afraid I can't comment on the more sophisticated facilities asked for above.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone can help with my exploration of bluetooth?

Got the MOTO G working for handsfree bluetooth calls out and in, loading of contacts from phone etc and would like to explore music.

NB Not being technical I did not go for extras in the car such as advanced bluetooth, business or pro sat nav.

To save me time have I no facilities to stream music either from the MOTO g device direct or via Google Music cloud because I am lacking the upgraded IDrive facilities? So I'd be best served if I shut up and give up!

I've tried to put a trial music album on a USB stick and inserted it in the armrest usb socket but zilch, nada nothing from the idrive in its reaction.

Any ideas of how to proceed in putting albums on phone and streaming to car audio would be gratefully received if I have further facilities to explore. I know I cant set up a collection on the car because I am lacking a Music collection facility.

With thanks

EK

Last edited by Eccles Ken; 03-11-2014 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Got the MOTO G working for handsfree bluetooth calls out and in, loading of contacts from phone etc and would like to explore music.

NB Not being technical I did not go for extras in the car such as advanced bluetooth, business or pro sat nav.

To save me time have I no facilities to stream music either from the MOTO g device direct or via Google Music cloud because I am lacking the upgraded IDrive facilities? So I'd be best served if I shut up and give up!

I've tried to put a trial music album on a USB stick and inserted it in the armrest usb socket but zilch, nada nothing from the idrive in its reaction.

Any ideas of how to proceed in putting albums on phone and streaming to car audio would be gratefully received if I have further facilities to explore. I know I cant set up a collection on the car because I am lacking a Music collection facility.

With thanks

EK

Sorry forget most of the above - no sat nav, no bluetooth audio only telephone and contacts!!!

so question is for the MOTO G what basic cable do I need to link the Moto G to the usb port and aux in port in the armrest. AND will this allow music to come from cars speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Stop rubbing it in. The iPhone is pants with the BMW. I get nada. BMW really need to update their software.
      03-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

With thanks

EK
What folder structure did you use for music on USB and what format for music?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
What folder structure did you use for music on USB and what format for music?
Sorry B the question is at the limits of my knowledge but I know where you're coming from.

I'm pretty sure I ripped the tracks unreferenced ie not in folders onto the usb stick with a free CD ripper. Does sound a bit primitive? They were ripped as MP3 i think. As I say no reaction within the IDrive system at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=Eccles Ken;15583869]Anyone can help with my exploration of bluetooth?

With thanks

SORRY TO MISLEAD ANYONE. IN FACT THE USB STICK WORKS PERFECTLY FROM THE CENTRE ARMREST. STUPID ME NEEDED TO GO BACK IN THE MENU TO FIND THE REFERENCE TO EXTERNAL DEVICES FOR SELECTION.

ONCE I SAW THE USB STICK WAS RECOGNIZED THERE, IT WAS STRAIGHTFORWARD TO PLAY THE MUSIC MP3 FILES!
Appreciate 0