F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > First drive by Motor Trend
proTUNING Freaks

12-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Alex57r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550xi

First drive by Motor Trend

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...28_first_test/

Pretty decent review. Splits the difference between an f30 and an x3.

I did not realize the tires were 50 profile.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
kooch51
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi GT M Sport

I love to scan through the comments below the article who repeatedly take time to echo each other about how ugly they feel it is. I'm sure most of them drive a Kia or a sweet Scion. Clearly the car isn't going to appeal to everyone. I bought it partly for that reason. I don't like to have the same car as every 10th person I meet on the road (i.e. the Q5 or a Civic in Chicago)at . I wonder why they chose to review the 328 v. the 335? Some people just don't understand that just because the vehicle doesn't meet their wants or needs, doesn't mean it doesn't suit someone else. I guess I have better things to do than take time to comment and share why I hate something that doesn't really affect me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2015, Audi Q7 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch51 View Post
I love to scan through the comments below the article who repeatedly take time to echo each other about how ugly they feel it is. I'm sure most of them drive a Kia or a sweet Scion. Clearly the car isn't going to appeal to everyone. I bought it partly for that reason. I don't like to have the same car as every 10th person I meet on the road (i.e. the Q5 or a Civic in Chicago)at . I wonder why they chose to review the 328 v. the 335? Some people just don't understand that just because the vehicle doesn't meet their wants or needs, doesn't mean it doesn't suit someone else. I guess I have better things to do than take time to comment and share why I hate something that doesn't really affect me.
I couldn't resist posting a comment...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch51 View Post
I ordered this car for the same reason you did. I like to be different and have something that is out of the norm and make sure not many people have it. I don't care what others think as long as I like it. Same with my motorcycles. I customize them to my liking and make sure both my Harleys aren't like any other on the road. Youre right about the ones with the negative comments are the ones driving those cars. My friends who have made fun of this car drive Nissan maximas, VW Passat, Honda Accords and an audi A4 basic model
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

I am so tired of reviews that focus on the F34's performance vs. the F30. It's a bigger, heavier vehicle. What the heck do they expect?

Why not compare its performance to cars with similar features, particularly passenger room (the Lexus ES350 comes to mind)? Or would that be too helpful to people who are actually trying to make a purchasing decision?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher
I am so tired of reviews that focus on the F34's performance vs. the F30. It's a bigger, heavier vehicle. What the heck do they expect?

Why not compare its performance to cars with similar features, particularly passenger room (the Lexus ES350 comes to mind)? Or would that be too helpful to people who are actually trying to make a purchasing decision?
they compare RWD, and the car they tested had the sport suspension, vs xDrive. I've driven an xDrive f30 and it feels pretty much the same. The lack of a sport suspension option for xdrives is a serious flaw for the enthusiast who also wants snowpocalypse capability but they don't bother to highlight it which means no presSure on BMW to change things. Missed opportunity there, but overall a positive review.

Also noteworthy, the f30 they tested was on summer tires while the f34 was on all seasons. 0.6 gap in the figure 8 time between them. Meanwhile the gap from f34 to f25 was 1.2 seconds, both on all season rubber. More evidence of the dynamic superiority of the F34 beyond raw acceleration, which it should do, it's still a sedan vs an SUV after all. Would be interesting to see what the gap from f30 to F34 would be with both on summer tires, would probably narrow by a couple tenths at least.

Side note : MT's epilepsy inducing website is a great place to visit if you miss AOL and Myspace. R&T's and C&Ds are much better.
      12-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Alex57r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

F34'sstyling is very unusual so it will not appeal to everyone. I knew that going in, but being different is not why I got the car. To me it was 9.5/10s of a 335 sedan, performance wise (xdrive to xdrive), with lots of back seat room, cargo space, and a taller seating position. The car improved in the very areas I thought the 3 series was lacking. For the money it was a no brainer. When I found out about the cool 911 like spoiler that just sealed the deal (joking of course lol). I can live with giving up a couple of tenths to the sedan here and there, and living in the snowbelt, I was done with swapping summer and winter rubber so xdrive was a given too. The one area where the extra weight is noticeable to me was the breaking. I did not get the msport breaks like this test car and to me the break pedal did not seem as responsive as the sedan (brakes might just need to be broken in).

Can someone confirm that the f34 uses 50 profile tires as compared to 45s on a similarly equipped f30? I forgot to look at mine and its currently on the ship sailing over (ED). Higher profile tires will effect performance (negatively) but again for me personally, living in NY, its a step in the right direction without making the car into an SUV.

Last edited by Alex57r; 12-27-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

Yes, on 18" rim, the F34 has 5%taller sidewall height than a similarly equipped F30.

My stock 18" 400M wheels came with 225/50R18 in the front, 255/45R18 in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
they compare RWD, and the car they tested had the sport suspension, vs xDrive. I've driven an xDrive f30 and it feels pretty much the same. The lack of a sport suspension option for xdrives is a serious flaw for the enthusiast who also wants snowpocalypse capability but they don't bother to highlight it which means no presSure on BMW to change things. Missed opportunity there, but overall a positive review.

Also noteworthy, the f30 they tested was on summer tires while the f34 was on all seasons. 0.6 gap in the figure 8 time between them. Meanwhile the gap from f34 to f20 was 1.2 seconds, both on all season rubber. More evidence of the dynamic superiority of the F34 beyond raw acceleration, which it should do, it's still a sedan vs an SUV after all. Would be interesting to see what the gap from f30 to F34 would be with both on summer tires, would probably narrow by a couple tenths at least.

Side note : MT's epilepsy inducing website is a great place to visit if you miss AOL and Myspace. R&T's and C&Ds are much better.
Good points about tires and suspension, and likely missed by most (or almost all) readers. I also think that when it comes to space, particularly usable space, the 3GT is closer to the F10 than F30. The performance comparison between those would be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex57r View Post
F34'sstyling is very unusual so it will not appeal to everyone. I knew that going in, but being different is not why I got the car. To me it was 9.5/10s of a 335 sedan, performance wise (xdrive to xdrive), with lots of back seat room, cargo space, and a taller seating position. The car improved in the very areas I thought the 3 series was lacking. For the money it was a no brainer. When I found out about the cool 911 like spoiler that just sealed the deal (joking of course lol). I can live with giving up a couple of tenths to the sedan here and there, and living in the snowbelt, I was done with swapping summer and winter rubber so xdrive was a given too. The one area where the extra weight is noticeable to me was the breaking. I did not get the msport breaks like this test car and to me the break pedal did not seem as responsive as the sedan (brakes might just need to be broken in).

Can someone confirm that the f34 uses 50 profile tires as compared to 45s on a similarly equipped f30? I forgot to look at mine and its currently on the ship sailing over (ED). Higher profile tires will effect performance (negatively) but again for me personally, living in NY, its a step in the right direction without making the car into an SUV.
Yes. It has the larger tires, and I'm glad it does. I think with 19s we would otherwise have been in trouble on New England roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Richbot
Major General
Rep

MT had tested a rwd Msport f10 528i on summer tires. And it was only 0.1 quicker in the figure 8. I'm certain the xDrive on all seasons would be significantly slower.
      12-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Alex57r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

In fairness the F10 feels a lot bigger in the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. No doubt seats are more comfortable, it has better insulation, better interior materials, ... and it's more expensive. But still an interesting comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
At least to me, the F10 feels much smaller in the back than the F34. The F10 has a lot of interior space, but the La-Z-Boy seats take up so much room that there wasn't room for my feet when I did my "sit behind myself" test. (I actually only discovered the 3-series GT when I went to the dealership to check out 5-series rear legroom.)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Alex57r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I guess you are right but the la-z-boyz sure are nice. For all the room in the back, f10 is much more roomy and comfy in the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Just realized I was referring to F20 when I meant to say F25 above